iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any news on the MS 462?

Started by WoodBurner19, December 06, 2016, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNWRusty

So how long can it cut before it gets too hot?

HolmenTree

Quote from: PNWRusty on September 19, 2017, 09:36:55 PM
So how long can it cut before it gets too hot?
About 30 seconds .
I designed it to cut WOT for 3 to 4 seconds for 3 cuts, time includes starting the saw  ;D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

HolmenTree

Welcome to the Forum wetherby!
Are you the father Gordon or the son Sterling in the video?
We'd  love to hear some stories about the MS462C from you  :)

wetherby

Stihl asked us which bar, the 50, 63 or 71 cm- we said the longest for our trees here in Alaska (almost 28 inches) and to keep the saw balanced they used a lightweight bar. This is the longest bar that they recommended. The young growth trees that we were cutting were 27"+- at the base so we had that bar buried.  (This is Gordon here...)  The film and still shooting took 3 days and was a trip for us and our little town.  We had 15 on the production team from 5 different agencies. The Director, who is the artsy/fartsy part of this op, chose our company because he liked the father/son aspect.  The saw was a European model which they would not leave with us as it needed some modifications for our market and will be available in 2018.

The captive bar nuts- such a small thing but a great, long overdue feature.  The saw was fast and powerful for it's small package and we both wish that we had one.  Incidentally, the director said "yes" we could have one but the Stihl folks vetoed that: they gave us 750 bucks, however, for the director's folly.

HolmenTree

Thanks for the awesome update Gordon. That would be a great experience for you two and your town.

I like how compact and streamlined  the top cover is,  with the rear mounted air filter it doesn't need a awkward high hump like the Husqvarna's come with.

Yes 28" lightweight bar (equivalent weight to a regular 24") would be a maximum length for balance for a 13 plus lb powerhead. My 16 lb 066 Mag powerhead is balanced nice with the 28" ES regular solid bar. That's the setup Stihl sent me when I bought the saw new many years ago.

PNWRusty

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 26, 2017, 10:24:10 PM
Yes 28" lightweight bar (equivalent weight to a regular 24") would be a maximum length for balance for a 13 plus lb powerhead. My 16 lb 066 Mag powerhead is balanced nice with the 28" ES regular solid bar.

I would think the position of the handle would determine the bar with the best balance. And that the manufacturer would locate the handle based upon what bar would be most suitable for the powerhead.

In other words, if a saw was developed with 5 Kw that only weighed 10 lbs. the manufacturer would locate the handle so it would be most balanced with around a 28" bar (regardless of the light weight of the powerhead).

John Mc

Quote from: PNWRusty on October 27, 2017, 03:19:36 PM
I would think the position of the handle would determine the bar with the best balance. And that the manufacturer would locate the handle based upon what bar would be most suitable for the powerhead.

In other words, if a saw was developed with 5 Kw that only weighed 10 lbs. the manufacturer would locate the handle so it would be most balanced with around a 28" bar (regardless of the light weight of the powerhead).

Except that there are limits to how far forward they want to put the front handle: both because it gets more exposed the further out toward the bar it hangs and due to the ergonomics of the distance between the front and rear handles,
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

scsmith42

I spoke to my dealer today, and he is receiving an order of 50 saws next week from Stihl that they used for special test purposes at Stihl in Germany.  Apparently the mufflers had a 1" hole drilled into them for some test equipment, and they ran the saws for no more than 3 hours each at the factory. 

The factory patched the mufflers, and they are discounting them 20% off of MSRP and offering a 2 year warranty on them.

I'm planning to pick up a 461 with a 36" bar, but he's also getting in 661's, 441's, 880's and 560's. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

d1hamby

What Stihl dealer is in New Hill?
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

scsmith42

Quote from: d1hamby on October 28, 2017, 12:24:56 AM
What Stihl dealer is in New Hill?

ROFLMAO! 

NONE!  New Hill "proper" is comprised of a post office and a convenience store.  We don't even have a traffic light.

75 years ago it was a thriving community with several feed stores, blacksmith's shop, Mom and Pop Groceries, and even a motor court.  Today it's mainly a post office that provides service to a rural area (although the subdivisions from Apex are headed our way). 

My favorite local Stihl dealer, Bobby's Small Engine, is in Sanford NC, about 25 miles from the farm.  He supports a lot of loggers and tree service companies and is a good guy. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on October 27, 2017, 04:19:55 PM
Quote from: PNWRusty on October 27, 2017, 03:19:36 PM

Except that there are limits to how far forward they want to put the front handle: both because it gets more exposed the further out toward the bar it hangs and due to the ergonomics of the distance between the front and rear handles,
Yes there is some logic in all that. Longer handle spacing makes better leverage on a longer b/c.
Example right here when I compared my 562XP and 272XP.  The 60cc 562 is actually longer then the 72cc 272.
Reason how Husqvarna got the 562 rated for a 28" b/c.
25 years ago the hand strength of a pro end user with a 272XP favored ergonomics over a little extra leverage.

Maine logger88

That's a awsome looking 272 holmen! I had one almost that nice 10 years ago a guy bought mine new back in the mid 90s and only used it to cut up 20 cord of firewood. I got it for 250 bucks after he traded it in on a 2159. I used it as my main saw for a year and a spare for a few years after that. Now I kinda wish I had of just saved it but at the time I was just starting out and didn't have the money to buy a saw that I wasn't going to use
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 03, 2017, 10:19:57 PM
That's a awsome looking 272 holmen! I had one almost that nice 10 years ago a guy bought mine new back in the mid 90s and only used it to cut up 20 cord of firewood. I got it for 250 bucks after he traded it in on a 2159. I used it as my main saw for a year and a spare for a few years after that. Now I kinda wish I had of just saved it but at the time I was just starting out and didn't have the money to buy a saw that I wasn't going to use
Maine, that 562XP and 272XP in my pic there were both brand new and had never cut a stick of wood yet.
It's a picture of past and present.
I had just bought that 562XP new and my 272XP which I bought several month's earlier .
The 272 I bought from a fella who inherited it from his BIL who died a couple of days after he bought it in 1993.
He stored it in his garage for over 20 years only to idle it for s few minutes every spring, but never had cut a stick of wood (never had a b/c on it).

I still have both saws today, the 562 has alot of hours on it. The 272 only has cut a small birch and a small spruce, with less then half of tank of fuel. I have it it in storage not sure what to do with it.

Maine logger88

That's a good find! I can't imagine there are very many new 272s out there!

HolmenTree

The 272XP is still manufactured in Brazil today but they are detuned so the 372XP made there can compete. Lots of old school and young Brazilian  loggers still like those old 2 series.
Mine is the first year 1993 272XP with no decomp. Probably the lightest and strongest of the 272 series
I just need to break it in and see  :D

Maine logger88

That's cool that there still being made! So a 272 will out cut a 372? By the time I bought my 2171 the 272 was pretty clapped out so the 2171 would easily out cut it and I didn't have anything to compare the 272 to when I got it. My grandfather does have a very low hour 266xp he bought new in 87 that will run pretty close to my 2166's I've converted to 2172's. The next thing is to run my best running 2166 against my 461... I bet it will be close just by feel but know way to know till I do it

ehp

it all depends on what your cutting, I raced 272's for a lot of years and built a lot of them to, that short stroke sure will turn some high rpms but if cutting bigger hardwood the 372 is a better saw with the longer stroke of 36 mm compared to 34mm . The 372 just makes more torque . Its kind of like how everyone seems to love the 262  , I myself never cared for that saw , great saw if cutting broom handles but in bigger wood not so great

ehp

both saws the 372 and the 461 change a huge amount on how the saw is set up , both can be set pretty lean and will still work all day long but not show the true power the saw can produce , the 461 will go from a Dog to a SuperStar just with using the screw driver

ehp

there will be a 462 arctic as soon as I can buy it in the back of my truck

Maine logger88

Ok thanks for the info ehp! I will have to mess with my 461 then but it was also not broken in when I ran it also so now that it's broke in it may be better. I'm gonna buy a 572 or 462 whichever they come out with first I guess lol

ehp

their going to have to sell me pretty hard on the 572 , even if it is faster than the 462 .Im pretty sure the 462 will be stock until it hits the driveway at my house then its getting worked over

Maine logger88

Will the 462 have something similar to huskys air injection? That's really my only real complaint with the 461. Couple times a day gotta tap the dust of the filter...

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 05, 2017, 09:58:21 PM
Will the 462 have something similar to huskys air injection? That's really my only real complaint with the 461. Couple times a day gotta tap the dust of the filter...
Yes it will Maine.
The Ms261 CM ll and MS362CM ll already have it.
It's called "Pre-seperation air filtration system."
Actually the MS441 was the first Stihl to come out with it over 10 years ago.

Thank You Sponsors!