The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Any news on the MS 462?  (Read 6979 times)

Offline ButchC

• Full Member x2
Re: Any news on the MS 462?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 05:54:28 am »
I think there is some confusion here as to exactly what we are talking  about when we say holding  back.  As it applies to the felling dogs vs a bumper pad. Prim and proper operation in  bucking the saw will self feed  with no pressure applied by tbe operator BUT the felling dogs won't let the saw fall down through the log unless you hold them back off the log. When the saw has the bumper pad it will slide down as the saw cuts and over a long day it really saves on the ole back,, at least my old back,LOL. The pad is a bit of a hindrance when felling and certain bucking operations but for a guy with more than one saw it's nice to have on the one saw you buck with most of the time.   As for making the chains self feed that has been well described by Holman. An experienced filer will adjust his angles for the wood, type of work and the HP  available thus the saw does the work with a minimum of input from the operator. As an example RS stihl chains work nicely with my 036 saw with factory angles and depth gauges when bucking in most hard woods however when I feel like playing with the 660 and  20 inch bar doing the same work I run .005 deeper gauges and a few more degrees on both side and top angles and the same RS chain will work the 660 with 8 pin rim  and 20 inch bar with little operator input BUT as said earlier you best have an good hold on the saw when you put it in the wood and you do NOT use the top of the bar unless you have perfect footing, a good grasp on the saw and your head about you. Those chains are near worthless on a lower powered saw and indeed dangerous on them so I keep them separate and we'll marked. Depth gauges are a large part of the equation but only when the cutters are sharp, Lowering gauges in a haphazard manner is DANGEROUS, use a gauge and dont get carried away. A lot is written about hot rodding saw motors and little about the chains but they must pair up and match the wood for things to work to perfection. Dinking with chains is interesting and the results are satisfying, give it a try.  Just be careful how you handle the saw as you make them more aggressive.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2017, 10:54:56 am »
If this MS462C is factory stock I can see from this video that Stihl had a real powerhouse of a saw here.
Very quick throttle response, high WOT and lots of grunt in the wood burying what appears to be a 20 inch b/c.
72.2cc and only 13.261 lbs (powerhead weight only).

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2017, 12:57:35 pm »
If that really is the "first cut" as the title implies, it might get better as the saw breaks in.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2017, 01:59:29 pm »
If that really is the "first cut" as the title implies, it might get better as the saw breaks in.
John, now after a second look at that saw there doesn't appear to be a mark or wood debris on the saw. So it definitely looks like it's making it's first cut.

Will definitely increase alot more power and speed once broke in.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 09:56:09 pm »
I cringe when I watch that operator in the video warm up that saw, blipping the throttle like that.
Worst thing for the connecting rod bearings.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 10:47:28 pm »
I was wondering about his cookie cutting technique, but then I'm far from an expert at that.  I found it hard to get an idea of what the saw was capable of on the first two cookies. I would guess that sawing straight through (closer to what he did on the 3rd cookie) would be the way to go. Any of you with more experience in that care to comment?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 07:53:10 am »
Ha, hardly any more weight than my (new to me) 362c and more power.  I'm still getting used to the 362c. 

Stihl seems to be on a roll with the 362c, 261c, and now 462..

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2017, 10:27:43 am »
This 73cc lightweight beast MS462CM taking on the competition reminds me of when Stihl introduced the 85cc 064AV and 71cc 044AV back in the 1980's.
The industry was turned on its head with a 14.1 lb 85cc and 12.8 lb 71cc saws. Now they're doing it again.

When Fred Whyte hired me to work for Stihl in 1989, I had the job of planting the seeds for the newly introduced 044AV in late 1988.
I passed this 044AV brochure out to every saw dealer and pro end-user I could find.
2nd pic is my own 1989 Stihl 044AV and first year 1986 064AV. 
My Yamaha bike saw in the back ground is actually older, I built it in 1983.  :D

When Hans Peter Stihl came for a board meeting visit he Christened my Yamaha when he picked it up off our work bench at our regional branch in Edmonton, Alberta.  ;D

Offline PNWRusty

• I'm new!
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 11:04:46 am »
Nice! Does the Yamahogger have a radiator?

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 02:09:57 pm »
Nice! Does the Yamahogger have a radiator?
No radiator or water pump, only a cup or 2 of coolant in the cylinders jacket.

Offline PNWRusty

• I'm new!
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2017, 09:36:55 pm »
So how long can it cut before it gets too hot?

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21:14 am »
So how long can it cut before it gets too hot?
About 30 seconds .
I designed it to cut WOT for 3 to 4 seconds for 3 cuts, time includes starting the saw  ;D

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2

Offline wetherby

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2017, 12:54:34 pm »

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2017, 08:59:12 pm »
Welcome to the Forum wetherby!
Are you the father Gordon or the son Sterling in the video?
We'd  love to hear some stories about the MS462C from you  :)

Offline wetherby

MS 462
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »
Stihl asked us which bar, the 50, 63 or 71 cm- we said the longest for our trees here in Alaska (almost 28 inches) and to keep the saw balanced they used a lightweight bar. This is the longest bar that they recommended. The young growth trees that we were cutting were 27"+- at the base so we had that bar buried.  (This is Gordon here...)  The film and still shooting took 3 days and was a trip for us and our little town.  We had 15 on the production team from 5 different agencies. The Director, who is the artsy/fartsy part of this op, chose our company because he liked the father/son aspect.  The saw was a European model which they would not leave with us as it needed some modifications for our market and will be available in 2018.

The captive bar nuts- such a small thing but a great, long overdue feature.  The saw was fast and powerful for it's small package and we both wish that we had one.  Incidentally, the director said "yes" we could have one but the Stihl folks vetoed that: they gave us 750 bucks, however, for the director's folly.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 10:24:10 pm »
Thanks for the awesome update Gordon. That would be a great experience for you two and your town.

I like how compact and streamlined  the top cover is,  with the rear mounted air filter it doesn't need a awkward high hump like the Husqvarna's come with.

Yes 28" lightweight bar (equivalent weight to a regular 24") would be a maximum length for balance for a 13 plus lb powerhead. My 16 lb 066 Mag powerhead is balanced nice with the 28" ES regular solid bar. That's the setup Stihl sent me when I bought the saw new many years ago.

Offline PNWRusty

• I'm new!
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2017, 03:19:36 pm »
Yes 28" lightweight bar (equivalent weight to a regular 24") would be a maximum length for balance for a 13 plus lb powerhead. My 16 lb 066 Mag powerhead is balanced nice with the 28" ES regular solid bar.

I would think the position of the handle would determine the bar with the best balance. And that the manufacturer would locate the handle based upon what bar would be most suitable for the powerhead.

In other words, if a saw was developed with 5 Kw that only weighed 10 lbs. the manufacturer would locate the handle so it would be most balanced with around a 28" bar (regardless of the light weight of the powerhead).

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »
I would think the position of the handle would determine the bar with the best balance. And that the manufacturer would locate the handle based upon what bar would be most suitable for the powerhead.

In other words, if a saw was developed with 5 Kw that only weighed 10 lbs. the manufacturer would locate the handle so it would be most balanced with around a 28" bar (regardless of the light weight of the powerhead).

Except that there are limits to how far forward they want to put the front handle: both because it gets more exposed the further out toward the bar it hangs and due to the ergonomics of the distance between the front and rear handles,

Online scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2017, 06:45:42 pm »
I spoke to my dealer today, and he is receiving an order of 50 saws next week from Stihl that they used for special test purposes at Stihl in Germany.  Apparently the mufflers had a 1" hole drilled into them for some test equipment, and they ran the saws for no more than 3 hours each at the factory. 

The factory patched the mufflers, and they are discounting them 20% off of MSRP and offering a 2 year warranty on them.

I'm planning to pick up a 461 with a 36" bar, but he's also getting in 661's, 441's, 880's and 560's. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.