iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bomardier skidder

Started by kb88, December 04, 2016, 09:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb88

I was wondering how well these skidders work and how hard they are to get parts for

(off site photos deleted by Admin.)

sprucebunny

Bombardiers aren't hard to get parts for but they never made a real 'skidder'.

What model are you looking at ??? How wide is it ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

kb88

They are calling it a bombardier muskeg jimmy. It has dual drive tracks, a skidding arch and blade. It looks to be an actual skidder. Also has a 3-53 in it

Woodhauler

Quote from: kb88 on December 04, 2016, 05:22:55 PM
They are calling it a bombardier muskeg jimmy. It has dual drive tracks, a skidding arch and blade. It looks to be an actual skidder. Also has a 3-53 in it
Yes they made a skidder!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

sprucebunny

Oh yes !! I forgot about the Jimmy.

I would think they would be a little expensive as tracks are expensive but those are a capable machine.

Parts are available from Prinoth and used from sources in MN.

kb88

What do you suppose tracks would cost? And it also needs differential work, not sure if thats a big deal or not.
Thank a lot!

red

I am not sure you want to go down hill on tracks on ICE 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sprucebunny

I paid $1800 ? for the 3 rubber belts with holes on one track of my Muskeg about 5 years ago. I would guess they made a heavier belt that the Jimmy would need. I've heard rumors about Kevlar belts... The cleats, I'm not sure but around $35-40 each ? You can also make your own belts from the right spec conveyor belt but you will need to make a jig to drill the holes. Something like 440 bolts on each track.

Differential parts cen get expensive, too but maybe not worse than others.

Ice caulks can be welded or bolted to the grousers/cleats.

kb88

I have some timber to cut in some really wet ground so I am kinda tossing around buying it. Have any idea what one would be worth? Im not finding much info on this maching.

sprucebunny

There's a lot of gear on them. Winch, hydraulics etc,etc. So if you guess that a good running, fair tracked late '70s Muskeg is worth $12,000 ( complete guess ! ) add for the Jimmy, winch, hydraulics, subtract for wrecked stuff.... but if you have to work on it, make money with it and resell it, an older wheel skidder may be less work and have fewer hidden problems and be easier to resell. Just pray for cold weather  :D

Iwawoodwork

I have a  Bombardier Jimmy that I broke a track on several years ago. I have the double D tracks and there are about 72 grousers with 3 rows of  6" belting with two holes in each belt x3 = 6 x72 about 432 holes per track, mine has the Muskeg undercarriage with a 3 cylinder Detroit diesel. I am in the slow process of modifying a home made hydraulic wood splitter into a belting punch so I can punch 6 to 8 holes at once.. I gathered some conveyor belting with 5 layers of cording and cut it into 6" strips about 25 feet long for the project   This is a very agile machine and appears to be well built, but can sure tear up the surface, gravel or grass.

Thank You Sponsors!