iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder type blade for FEL?

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, December 02, 2016, 09:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

I wonder if anyone makes a front skidder type blade to go on a tractror's FEL for logging? My bucket isn't very useful in the woods and the forks and grapple, while nice for loading logs on the landing, stick way out and get in the way when maneuvering in the woods. A short blade would be useful for evening up log piles, knocking small stuff down, etc. but I haven't found one that commercially available. I did see this on another tractor-specific site and it's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking but this looks home-made and I would want something to connect to my skid-steer style quick disconnect mounts:

Any ideas or sources? Thanks!

North River Energy

You can probably find a Quick-tach weld-on bracket and used snowplow blade on Craigslist for less than 300 combined. That and a little torch and stick time should get you started.
The blade will be strong enough for piling, particularly if you trim it down to size.

bill m

That doesn't look to hard to copy, if you some fabrication skills. As for your forks I know what you mean by getting in the way while working in the woods. That is why I made mine to fold up.

When I need them I just uncurl the forks and they flop down and when done raise the loader all the way up and curl and they fold back up.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

celliott

There was a tractor for sale near me, and it was set up with a forestry package- chains, skid plates, overhead protection, forwarding trailer, AND it had a skidder type decking blade with a winch on the front behind the blade. Looked pretty slick. Not sure if it was homemade or part of the forestry package.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

g_man

mf40diesel

My internet is waaaay to slow out here to post a pic... but follow this link:   https://goo.gl/images/E5MSmB

I think that bucket looks wicked slick
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Maine372

i dont have a good picture of it, but my dad had a creative solution for this.

he bolted leaf springs inside the bucket with the curve facing up. this way he could set the bucket flat to use the cutting edge or curl it down just a little to get the leaf spring 'fork' under a log. he put one on each end of the bucket this way you don't have to find just the perfect spot to lift a log, its pretty well balanced. ive had 32ft long pieces balanced without trying twice. they only stick out maybe 16-18 inches so they aren't in the way but long enough to get under any log the tractor will lift. plus you still have the bucket on for grading the road and plowing snow.

warning: its pretty easy to get a log to come over top of the bucket and roll down the loader arms to crush the operator. some sort of cab/guard or some extensions on the bucket to prevent this would be advisable.

711ac

72" Root Clearing Rake Debris Silage Rock Skid Steer Tractor Loader Attachment

I would think this would do but without any "grading" ability. We always called them "stacking rakes"

thecfarm

bill m,now that's a great idea.
I know my loader can be a bother in the woods,but I usually carry a load of rocks into the woods,well really the bog.Than there is always some firewood that I can throw into the bucket to bring out.
The wife's tractor does not have a loader on it. Yes,it's smaller too,but it is so much easier to get her's through the woods than mine tractor is. I would like to get another 30 hp tractor with a 3 pt winch and haul out some firewood with it. Yes,it would take longer,but I would not have to spend the time making wider roads.
A flat plate on the front would be easier than the loader sticking out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!