iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

08 F350 6.4 Blowing fuel pump fuse.

Started by MartyParsons, December 01, 2016, 09:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
  08 F350 6.4 diesel 98000 miles. Last month I had an issue. Came home in the front seat of a rollback. Truck was riding in the rear. Needed a new fuel pump. Primary fuel pump under the drivers seat. Yesterday out doing a service noticed the transmission would not shift to 5 th gear. Stopped the truck and it started shifting normal. Stopped for lunch. Started the truck drove about 300 yards engine shut down. Blown fuse for fuel pump again. New fuse all good. Checked the wires to the pump all secure. Drove it today 150 miles no issues.
The truck has always worked great. Love the truck. Just the little things that might happen when you are out a long way from home is always on my mind.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Check out this website:

http://powerstrokehelp.com/6liter/6-0_main.asp

On the left....click on 6.0 / 2003-2007

See if this can help you. If not a phone call to these guys may help.

Good Luck Marty.

Goat

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MartyParsons

Well, I guess it is time for some repair. I did miss the number 1 on the mileage. So it has 198,000 miles. Sorry.

So far I have these things to address. Got to love them Fords!!

Exhaust Up pipes  to turbo, both joints leaking, may require a cab lift to some extent. Don't ask how much these pipes are. Got to Love them Diesels!  ::)
Coolant leak from gasket on the water pump, which it is impossible to see the water pump with out removing lots of parts. So I am guessing at this point.
Fuse has not blown since for the fuel pump.
Exhaust manifold bolts broken off on driver side.
I do like this truck. I think I said that once .  :)

Poston I did go to the web site. Looks like they have lots to research there.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Win, lose or draw.....looks like you have a nice shop to work in.  :)

snowstorm

i have never owned a 6.4. on the 6.0 if you take the inner fender out. the plastic one you can get at the manifold bolts. how long has it been since its had a new fuel pump? bolth my 6.0 needed them at around 80k. the one in my 6.7 was replaced at 35k. if your truck has a steel fuel tank they had problems with the coating on the inside coming off. that would plug filters and only that if you were lucky

MartyParsons

Hello,
I did get the rear exhaugst pipes unbolted. The drivers side came out with a little help from the saws-all. The passenger side is to be determined. 

The coolant leak is not the water pump but the front cover or the water pump o -ring. Not sure if I have this figured out exactly. There is lots of info about pump cavitation causing the aluminum housing to leak internal but not external. ?

The leak started, I replaced the water pump twice. Not sure if the first water pump was leaking. The second one the parts store replaced even though I said I did not think it was a warranty issue.

There are 8 bolts in here at the turbo, yes you can get them out. But it ain't easy!

Hope this may help others.

Marty

MartyParsons

This thing keeps me asking more questions.

• Shiny metal on coolant magnetic drain plug?
    • Water pump o ring was leaking. Nothing major but trying to decide why it failed.

Thanks
    Marty

POSTON WIDEHEAD

MartyParsons

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I guess you are interested in the rest of the story?

The Water pump O-ring seemed to be hard and worn.

I guess I will try a Ford one. ?

Removed the front balance pulley so I could see a little better.

Ok after we replaced the rear pipes. I built in a screech like a alternator belt every time the turbo would kick in. So repairing the rear pipes and stopping the leak. Seems I found another issue.

Before you can even see the manifold on the right side. You remove the following. Alternator, A/C Compressor. Battery box and windshield washer tank, starter. belts and fan radiator top shroud, air cleaner assembly, wheels mud shield inner fender. Just to name a few.  And you still cant see the bolts! LOL

I would never even attempt this without a vehicle lift!!

The front manifold bolts were broken and the gasket gone. Getting the manifold off was a little changeling to say the least.

Could see the bolt on the back of the manifold but could not get anything on it ( well) stripped the head off the bolt. Only option was to cut the manifold to make room for welder and a larger nut. Manifold was warped anyway.

The studs were $ 24.00 each you need four!

So after a few trips to the Ford dealer for bolts and a manifold. It took me three trips to get what was needed. Another story. All Good!

Gosh I love them Fords.  :-\

Hope this helps others!

I don't think I will be putting my application in at the local Power Stroke dealer tomorrow. Ready for another 200,000 miles.

Marty

sandhills

I USED to like working on things like that, just looking at your pictures gives me a headache anymore  :-\.  Last summer I had to get my late uncle's '55 Chevy ready for it's last trip to Alaska, a few minor electrical issues and a new fuel pump, took  a screw driver, pliers, and 2 wrenches I think  :D.  Good job Marty, don't think I'd have had enough patience.   

Thank You Sponsors!