iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identifying finished wood in a 155 year old church

Started by Tlmlscmoore, December 01, 2016, 06:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tlmlscmoore

The church I pastor has just been deeded a neighboring church property that hasn't been used in two years.  The building was constructed in 1860.  I am beginning to do an in-depth examination of the history of the church.  I a trying to determine, without using destructive means, the wood that was used to construct the building.  Most of the framing is Hemlock, however the wood the makes up the pews is enigmatic as is the flooring.  I am attaching pics and would appreciate any insight regarding identification.

Don P

1- oak with timberworm?
2- red oak flooring
3= looks like end grain of pine
4- oak?

thecfarm

Tlmlscmoore.welcome to the forum.
I can't help ya,but I would suspect back in 1860 the wood was not trucked halfway across the country to build a church.
What state and town are you in?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DelawhereJoe

Just remember, just because the church is from the 1860's doesn't mean that floor boards, benches and everything else is all original.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Don P

nativewolf

Darn I wrote a long reply and got timed out before I submitted. 

Get some pictures of the end grain of the wood.  The one end grain picture you have appears to be a pine/conifer rather than a hardwood (at least to my old eyes).  It has an abrupt transition and no large vascular pores-ash would have large pores that you'd see even on that picture.  Instead you see an abrupt spring/summer wood transition and I think..think ...I see resin pores in the end grain.  Resin pores would mean pine/fir/spruce for sure.  Some conifers like Cedar don't have resin pores though-just a tip.

The wood that's very fine grained should be a maple/poplar/cherry.  The wood with distinctive flat saw (with worms) could be ash or a pine-an end grain picture would tell all.  The one with more of a quarter saw look could be ash...or something else. 

I'm guessing at least 3 species there.  If you send end grain pictures I can offer more insight.
Liking Walnut

WDH

No Sir.  Sorry.  I disagree.  The end grain pic is ash.  Definitely not a softwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

Timiscmoore and nativewolf - welcome to the FF.  Thanks for posting.

Don't make us take sides on this.  WDH has been wrong before, but I can't remember when that was.  I'm not saying he's correct.  I just know enough to not say that he's incorrect.   :D ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the forum, guys, definitely not softwood.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

nativewolf

Hey, I've been a wrong many times.  If we could just slice with a razor just a little bitty slice.  Like paper thin. That would be enough to tell about an inch across. 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!