iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inevitable = Changing Bandwheel Belts And Pitching A Fit

Started by Deese, December 01, 2016, 05:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

THE TIME IS VERY NEAR. Tis The Season--- to change the belts on my 19" bandwheels again. The belts have been in my truck for about a month and they taunt me each time I see them in the back seat. Ugh. I've learned that this procedure must be performed in an ultra secluded location, miles into the uncharted wilderness where there is zero chance of any human life form (or goat  :D) encounter. Why you may ask? Well, I begin with an open mind, cool, calm and collected...as I have mentally prepared myself for this days (if not weeks) in advance. But then the inevitable eventually occurs. Fowl language, throwing miscellaneous items, kicking (often hurting my toe or ankle), and of course yelling--which is often accompanied with the fowl language. Then my dog thinks it's his fault. Maybe it is?  ???  Maybe I should go ahead and pitch the fit before I even start? Now that sounds like a pretty good idea!

I know this topic has been covered many times on the forum, and I remember reading a nice thread about properly changing bandwheel belts in the past.
I use 2 or 3 pair of vice grips to clamp the belt as I work it onto the wheel, then usually end up prying the remaining 8 or 10 inches with a flathead screwdriver or some similiar tool.

Then the belt flips, which is usually when the previously mentioned misbehavior begins to occur. So then I usually end up slightly damaging/tearing the side of the belt as I try to bump one edge of the belt with the end of screwdriver and hammer as I attempt to rotate the belt into it's proper position. There has to be an easier method.

A: So, what is the correct method for installing the B56? (The ones I have actually say BP56) Can someone direct me to that specific thread I was talking about? (you  know the one)

B: Some have said I can use the B57 instead of B56. I just ordered some a minute ago just in case...

I would think the B57 should be okay as long as I don't let junk build up under the belt?

P.S.--I don't bring my dog when changing belts anymore. Poor Fella.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

ladylake

A lot of bad language the first couple of times but now it's about 10 minutes  and I found out the bad language really doesn't help.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kbeitz

A cold wheel.
A warm belt.
And a can of baby powder helps.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Deese

Quote from: ladylake on December 01, 2016, 05:42:21 PM

A lot of bad language the first couple of times but now it's about 10 minutes  and I found out the bad language really doesn't help.  Steve

You are correct, sir.
Cooks AE4P Edger

D6c

I just put a pair of these on my LT40.....haven't used them yet but they were easy to put on with a little dish soap and a couple of screw drivers.

http://timberwolfbandmillblades.com/Band-Mill-Urethane-V-Belt.php

ozarkgem

I just changed one of mine . one more to go.  Thought about the urethane ones. Some people don't like them. Would like to know why.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

bandmiller2

Tight belts are what separate the men from the boys. Remove guards and anything in your way, warm soapy water helps. I roll the belt backwards so when it twists is in the right position you have to outsmart it. Old dull butter knives are helpful. Miller time after the belt is mounted. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WV Sawmiller

Deese,

Don't know about changing the belts on a Cooks machine but few things are easier than changing them on my mill. No tools, no fuss, no muss, and no bad language. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I used some wd-40 on my b56 change over and it seemed to help. Dont get frustrated. It gets easier the more times you do it.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Larry

Steve changes belts with the wheel on the saw but he is tough and likely eats grits on his Wheaties.

I take the wheel off and clamp it in a heavy vice on a really heavy bench.  Than I attack with several big screwdrivers.

I don't let the dog near until the deed is done.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

KirkD

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

YellowHammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 01, 2016, 07:44:22 PM
Deese,

Don't know about changing the belts on a Cooks machine but few things are easier than changing them on my mill. No tools, no fuss, no muss, and no bad language. Good luck.

smiley_thumbsup
WM with B57's....why use anything else?  They are loose, they work, and they are easy...
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Try to just take the old ones off and then put the new ones on, that's the best way to do it  smiley_thumbsup
Boy, back in my day..

Brad_S.

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 01, 2016, 07:42:50 PM
I roll the belt backwards so when it twists is in the right position.
X2
Knowing it's going to twist, I pre-twist it in the opposite direction. It falls into the groove and then a couple of screwdrivers are needed to seat it correctly but it really isn't a big deal.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Andries

Quote from: 4x4American on December 01, 2016, 10:40:46 PM
Try to just take the old ones off and then put the new ones on, that's the best way to do it  smiley_thumbsup
. . . Doug!  smiley_lit_bulb
That's a grate idea!
start with a B56, next a B57, then a B58 (do they even make one?) until you get the extra cutting width that you've always wanted !
Man, who even NEEDS one of those fancy schmancy "wide" models!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

OffGrid973

Not sure if the belts can stretch if they were too hot, but can you place in almost boiling water for a minute then slip on as it stretches and cool back to normal size?  I use this method to extend the pool liner when it comes out of the fitting in spots as draining the pool is not an option.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

redbeard

Two C-clamps and several old sacrificed flat head screwdrivers (round and polish all edges). Hot soapy water.
Couple of things I've learned.
Gates B 56 belts slip on my mill you can hear a howling when blade starts dulling. The belts will get really smooth ( I have to rough them up with sandpaper) shortens the life span.
Contintal B56 belts work good
BF Goodrich B56 belts are the best. If you can find them.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Quebecnewf

I had the same problem changing mine the first time lots of struggle and work. This time watched a video on YouTube . Followed the steps went very easy.

Quebecnewf

paul case

I like the b57 for being easy to change.

At certain times of the year and with certain wood we have trouble with getting sawdust buildup under the belts. So we put a b56 on the drive side and viola! no hard packed knubs of sawdust under the belt!

Btw I only did that because I read it would work here on The Forestry Forum.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

scully

I run a lot of tension , the trade off is early belt wear . I change my belts in less than 10 minutes no tools .
I bleed orange  .

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

coppolajc10

When I could get BF Goodrich B56 belts, two clamps, screwdrivers, and Armor All worked best.  Now that I can no longer find BF Goodrich belts, TK recommended Jason B56 belts.  I've used a few and like them. They are also much looser fitting than other B56 belts and I no longer need the Armor All.  Maybe more like B57s others are talking about.

coppolajc10

Quote from: D6c on December 01, 2016, 06:07:44 PM
I just put a pair of these on my LT40.....haven't used them yet but they were easy to put on with a little dish soap and a couple of screw drivers.

http://timberwolfbandmillblades.com/Band-Mill-Urethane-V-Belt.php

I don't think you're supposed to use a pair of these, just one on the idle side.  Not 100% sure, but don't want something bad to happen!

Thank You Sponsors!