iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mister Sawmills- Anybody have any experice or advice on their mills?

Started by BWoody, November 30, 2016, 12:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWoody

I'm planning on purchasing a sawmill to mill boards out of some timber that I own.  The mister sawmills seem to be a great value.  I am leaning towards their model 26.  The 26 comes with a 20hp Honda and can mill an 18' long log up to 26" in diameter.  The problem is that I have not seen one in person and find it hard to find reviews on their mills.  I do not want to spend money on something that I am unsure about.  Anybody that has one or has seen one; your input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.   

fishfighter

Kbeitz

This is the first I have heard of them. located in Arkansas.
I had to google it to see what you was talking about...

http://www.mistersawmill.com/
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

never finished

A guy down the road has one and I wasn't very impressed. Looks very light. Part of the enjoyment of having a mill, to me, is doing mods. I didn't even see enough mill to start with on the mister sawmill. Where you located? Dennis

boscojmb

I have never seen one of these mills in person. I just too a look at their website.

I think that the blade guides will be problematic. They are just small bearings riding directly on the blade, and not greaseable.

They also run a bearing tight to the back of the blade. I can see this doing the same thing as flanged guides that are adjusted too close to the back of the band.

I hope this helps,
John B.

Log-Master LM4

BWoody

flattail

;D I do own a Mister Sawmill and I consider myself a hobby sawer.It does what I want it to do but I'm not making a living doing it.It's all manual and I make a lot of saw dust.I suppose it boils down to what do you want out of a mill and how much you willing to shell out.

BWoody

Flat tail,
How many hours do you think you have put on your mill and have you had any trouble out of it? I talked to the owner of mister mills and he seems like a down to earth guy. I will just be using it for myself; not trying to make a living with it. Just looking for a good dependable mill at a decent price. Also what model do you own? Thank you for your input as well.

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

5quarter

Quote from: boscojmb on November 30, 2016, 06:54:06 PM

I think that the blade guides will be problematic. They are just small bearings riding directly on the blade, and not greaseable.
They also run a bearing tight to the back of the blade. I can see this doing the same thing as flanged guides that are adjusted too close to the back of the band.

I thought the same thing. They go on to explain that flanged roller guides generate so much heat on the blade that you have run a steady stream of water on the blade to keep it cool.  ;) :D  Quick...Someone notify WM, Cooks and TK!  ;D
If I were going to spend 6k+, I would go with something like an MP-32 or an lt15. Proven designs, great value and outstanding support.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: boscojmb on November 30, 2016, 06:54:06 PM
I have never seen one of these mills in person. I just too a look at their website.

I hope this helps,

The blade guides on my homemade mill are built very similar using the same 608z skate bearings.  They work but I have to replace at least one bearing every couple days of use.  They only take a couple minutes to replace and are very cheap (around $8 for 16) so I make them work.

logs2lumber

Bwoody

That was my very fist sawmill was the mister sawmill. it worked great but i had a older model and the one i had the rollers for the carriage was v groove and made very cheap but since i think they have updated their design. I dont know what they sell for new i bought mine used. I even added extended length on mine ill see if i can find a picture.

BWoody

Logs2Lumber,

Thanks for the input.  They look like they are simple made manual mills.  I am not planning on cutting lumber full time with it, just on the weekends.  Any pictures would be great and thank you for the help.

Bwoody     

flattail

Sorry Woody it took so long to respond,work gets in the way.I'm not sure about the amount of hours I have on my mill but I have cut a lot of cedar and some hickory with a couple of red oak thrown in.No problems so far but I only cut on weekends and occasionally after work.I do not run a steady stream of water on my blade ever and have no problems.I have the model 26 and it has an 18 foot carriage which is standard and 26 inch wide cut.I'll try to post pictures down the road but overall I'm very happy with my mill.

BWoody

Flattail,

Thanks for the advice.  Sounds like it has been a good mill for you.  Thanks again for the advice.

Deese

I would seriously consider looking at the EZ Boardwalk Jr sawmill. I have been running mine almost every weekend for about 4 years. Heavy built mill. I believe you can get a brand new one for around $4700 + shipping. I run it almost every weekend and have only had to replace the idle wheel bearings once...and the parts were only about $60. It has paid for itself many times over...
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

BWoody

Deese,

I have looked at the EZ boardwalk mills.  They look like good running mills and I have only heard good things about them.  Wish I lived closer to some of the manufactures so I could take a look at some of the mills.  Thanks for the advice

Bwoody 

paul case

No need to live close to them to see their mills in action.

Most manufacturers have mills all over the US and can help you find one to look at and see in operation. You have to call them and find out. I didn't know it when I first was looking for a bandmill that there was an  ez boardwalk mill 5 miles from me.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Quote from: BWoody on December 06, 2016, 07:41:46 AMWish I lived closer to some of the manufactures so I could take a look at some of the mills.
I saw where you were in "upstate South Carolina" but adding your location to your profile helps.

You may very well have FF members that live close to you that have/operate various sawmill brands.  We are always anxious and willing for you to visit, look, and get a "hands on" feel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Fil-Dill

Call EZ boardwalk. They have a list of their mills for all over the country. If you can find an owner, you can get his opinion while visiting him. I have done it for them several times and have owned both size mills.
EZ boardwalk 40

BWoody

Thanks for the advice.  I will try and contact the manufactures of some different mills and see if there is anyone close by.

Thank You Sponsors!