iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer/Jointer Combo

Started by clintnelms, November 29, 2016, 07:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintnelms

In the process of building a new woodshop and I've been dreaming and looking for different equipment I want to get later on. So I was looking at the Jet and Grizzly 12 in jointer/planer combo units. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of them and what the pros and cons were to either of them.

Just Me

I routinely see Felder/Hammer jointer/planers come up for sale used right around the $2000 mark. Many of these are hobby shop tools that did not get used much as production shops usually want separates. They are ten times the machine in my opinion, as accurate as separates and backed by a good company.

One example: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?248820-Hammer-A3-31-Plainfield-IL

Kbeitz

I worked for Grizzly... What model are you looking at ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clintnelms

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 30, 2016, 06:07:01 PM

There's only one 12 inch model listed on their website. Two really, but the other one is the same except for color according to the description.

scsmith42

When did you work there and what did you do?  I drove up with a truck and 37' trailer in 2009 and brought back a full load.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Kbeitz

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 01, 2016, 08:02:51 AM

When did you work there and what did you do?  I drove up with a truck and 37' trailer in 2009 and brought back a full load.

I worked at the Pa store until they closed down.
I was a Tech and the Maintenance guy.

The Polar Bear Series model G0634XP is a good machine.
You will love the Spiral Cutterhead.

You might like to look at the Shop Fox line to.
It's also sold by Grizzly.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

John S

Kbeitz,
I was disappointed when they closed the PA store. I drove out two years ago to pick up the 20" spiral head planer and 3hp canister dust collector.  What a store and the show room was quite an experience.  I guess business was down at that location?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

ESFted

Plus one on the Hammer A3/31.  Mine is pre silent cutter head and joined tables, but it's still a great machine.  As suggested, they often hit the used market.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

opticsguy

My only concern with the combo machines is it looks like the beds are short???  The longer the bed, the much more accurate your results will be.
I live 5 miles from the Bellingham store, excellent and knowledgeable sales persons, kind of like having Christmas all year long!!    :D
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Just Me

Thank You Sponsors!