iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logs to lumber

Started by abmagrum, November 28, 2016, 10:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abmagrum

hi,
i thought you were only to use the trunks of trees.
on some forums the guys are using the branches for lumber. is this ok ?
i think all you would get is stress wood.
what do you guys think>

Ianab

Branches that aren't growing vertical will contain a lot of reaction wood. This is wood with different properties that resists the tension of an angled or horizontal branch. If you look at the end grain, you likely see the pith is off center, or even egg shaped.

Now on a small scale you can harvest this, especially if it's for some use like bowl turning or carving (smaller objects) The wood doesn't deform enough as it dries to make it unusable.

But you wouldn't cut 8 ft+ boards and expect them to stay straight. They would likely turn into pretzels right off the mill, and get worse as they dry.

Only exception would be where a tree forks, and the "branches" continue to grow near vertical. If the pith of the logs / branches is near centered, then it should behave normally.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

abmagrum

Misscrjones

Where in south Texas can I sell mesquite tree bases, burls, and the really good pieces that can be milled for slabs.

I've been selling wood for a while now at a local place, but have cut everything at 29".. I can't imagine how much money I have thrown away considering the little amount they give me for the wood. 

kjm logging

Thank You Sponsors!