iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Panic time! Owb ready to croak?!?

Started by Phoebe, November 28, 2016, 07:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoebe

Dear husband is in a panic,. CB Cl 5648, installed in 2000, has several holes in the area where the chimney attaches.  It seems to be thick steel but has corroded in time from backwash from chimney which has been replaced once. He is in a panic thinking the whole unit may be in the same shape. You know how things like this can go!!! Part of the problem is we are into heating, he is working seven nights a week and in a few weeks will be off work and in capacitated due to surgery.  He is an experienced welder but time and physical ability are in short supply. Time is just not on our side right now!

First, i need to know how to find a good welder. I may ask the dealer if he knows of anyone.
How sucessful are repairs?

Second, if it needs to be replaced, what can replace it?  The under ground lines were not cheap and were replaced a few years ago! Is a new unit even close to compatible?

Third, i have read all kinds of horror stories about the gassification units! Any advice? I like simple!!!

Would my wood, which was cut this spring/summer even work in a new stove? We heat an older, two story house, hot water and shop. I am trying not to go into panic mode as i believe my head retreats into a in
dark cavity but, this is pushing me close to just that.

I havevlurked on here off and on and learned much!

Hilltop366

Welcome to the forestry forum Phoebe, I know a few good welders here in south west Nova Scotia.

I would suggest filling out your location area so we know where you are.

Cheers

Phoebe

I checked name it is a CL 5648, used to be a Classic 50. Spoke with a dealer today. He thought that we may be ok until spring. There is a direct replacement that will use existing lines, pump, etc. 550 Edge for the tidy sum og $8500.00. Wood would have to br split further but probably seasoned enough. So, am getting info which is the first step. Second step may be to drink heavily!! No, too kuch to do.
Also maybe, maybe found a retired boilermaker that sometimes does house calls. Will keep looking. There is a chance hubby may have a day between retiring and surgery. It will be heavily dependent on the weather.
Now off to reasearch the 550 edge. I am not convinced i wast a gasifier......

Gary_C

Phoebe, yes there are good welders that can weld with water running and they are called pipe fitters or boilermakers. So don't give up on the guy you found, he may be able to fix that leak and get you by till spring when permanent repairs can be made.

Do you have water treatment chemicals in the CB? If not you should add a couple of gallons of the stuff CB sells. There is a test kit to tell you when you are protected.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Roxie

Say when

boilerman101

Welcome Phoebe, as a former Classic owner that turned to Central Boilers Eclassic 2400 gasser in 2010, I have no regrets. Cut my wood consumption by 40%. I have not found operation or maintenance difficult at all. Looking at their Edge model videos on their website I see features that would make it even easier to use and easier to clean. I'm very impressed at what I see and it sells for less than what I paid.

Thank You Sponsors!