iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need an old tree cutting down??

Started by George???, November 27, 2016, 09:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George???

Hey guys,

First off i just want to say that it is awesome to be on this forum. And that i am no tree surgeon or carpenter of any sort so please bare with me because when it comes to tress i am clueless. My mother and farther have a dead tree in their back garden and they are worried about the weather and that it might bring down the old tree into the neighbors fencing etc. they have started getting a little old now and need some assistance from time to time, so i am going to give it ago. I have no clue what tree it is but i have some measurements that i will place below so you have a rough idea on the size. I understand where the tree will fall and how we are going to stop the tree from hitting any surroundings but what i need from you guys is whats the best tool to use an axe or chainsaw? Axes are cheap and hard work yet chainsaws are expensive and quicker... I can locate Cheap strong axes and chainsaws everywhere so that is no problem. The tree is about 2 and a half feet at its thickest point and roughly 12-15 feet tall. As i said i'm cluless to this so don't rip me to peaces please!!! Or if you think pulling out a tree surgeon is necessary then i will do!!

Looking forward to speaking to you all!!!

Obviously this is not the tree in my parent's garden but its the closest i could find
NOTE FROM ADMIN OFFSITE PHOTOS NOT ALLOWED. IMAGES MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

Thanks guys   

sawguy21

Welcome aboard. Standing dead trees can take on a mind of their own and are not to be regarded lightly. Without seeing what you are dealing with it's hard to offer any advice except to talk to someone who knows what they are doing. A tree surgeon is not necessary but maybe contact a removal service like Davey Tree or Bartlett's if they operate in your area.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

George???

Well my parents where rite then the dead tree can be dangerous. What i will do is get out there asap and get a picture of what i am dealing with then get back to you. I would like to attempt myself first before calling some one out, but i do know my limits

Thanks for the reply

thecfarm

George???,welcome to the forum.
You say only 12-15 feet tall? Any limbs? Reason I say limbs,using an axe on that tree will shake it and a limb can hit you on the head. And using an axe it better be shape too. Or you will be there a while.Well even using a chainsaw a limb can hit you on the head too. Trouble with those dead trees,you might have 6 inches of good wood,than nothing but mush and the tree goes the other direction.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ppine

George,
Judging from your post I would say you should let someone else fall that tree.  Find a friend or neighbor to help you. Offer to pay them something for their time. It will be much cheaper than an arborist or tree company.
Forester

Roxie

Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

Reading through this I vote get a professional to drop it for you and then you can attack it with an ax. It will be great exercise.

Welcome to the forum, how bout telling us where you are from?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

Quote from: George??? on November 27, 2016, 09:53:22 PMthe tree is about 2 and a half feet at its thickest point and roughly 12-15 feet tall.
Apparently that is circumference and not diameter?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

George???

Reading through this you have all made very good points and there seems to be a high vote saying call in the pros. This is what i am going to do then guys you have all made good points about limbs falling and mushy middles, it's not worth getting a crack on the head or something going wrong!!!

Thanks for the advice guys i will get back to you when all is sorted!!

George???

I have gave these guys a call http://www.acorntree.co.uk/ they will be coming round in the next 2 days to have a look and quote me!! thanks guys

Roxie

Keep us posted on how it goes, and welcome to the forum! 
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!