iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I came across this burl hunting on my place, is it worth sawing?

Started by kng, November 27, 2016, 06:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kng

It would take a little effort to get out.  Any idea on the species?

thanks!
-Kyle
2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

Kbeitz

Just take two 2x3's and a 4 wheeler and a few big nails.
Use the nails like a axle on the ball burl.
Pull it home like a trailer.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WLC

I would think it would be worth the trouble to get it out.  I don't know if I would saw it right away though.  Put it up for sale and saw to the customers specifications.  Many times wood turners love burls for bowls and other woodworkers like them for table tops.  Each one will want a different cut.

I have several big burls still "on the hoof" down in the woods.  I'll eventually get them out and make bowls from them, both lathe turned bowls and natural carved bowls.  I might also make the Mrs a couple of end tables with slabs from them.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

GAB

KNG:
Based on the second picture I think it is maple.
Please note that I am not the best tree identifier.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishfighter

Quote from: GAB on November 27, 2016, 07:18:07 PM
KNG:
Based on the second picture I think it is maple.
Please note that I am not the best tree identifier.
Gerald

Silver maple? Kind of what we call them here in these parts. Oh, by all means I am not the best tree identifier too!

I would by al means get that sucker out the woods and out the weather. Seal the ends too. I see a couple real nice end table slabs along with a coffee table. ;D

Gearbox

I vote for a soft maple of some kind . You may find it with rot with a thin skin under the bark . still would make bowls .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Slingshot

May have a hole through the middle by the looks of the trunk and weakness
where it broke.

kng

Thanks all!  Looks like I need to get it out of the woods soon.

scully

If it saws out good that will be awesome better yet would be spaulted ! I would be all over that thing ! I say soft maple .
I bleed orange  .

Ljohnsaw

So, with that scar it has, would you say it was a lightening strike or maybe a deer ripped a strip of bark off in its younger days?  Looks like that scar is into the burl a bit, too.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Quote from: WDH on November 28, 2016, 08:23:43 PM
I believe that it is one of the red oaks.
I would salvage it, and ask bowl turners before any work is done to it, and it does resemble our red oaks here,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Look at the branches.  Maple will be opposite branched.  Oak will be alternate branched.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Yeah I see a few oak leaves on the ground...Though they could have come from a nearby tree. I would saw it up, or as someone else suggested, sell it as is.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

kng

Yes, I believe this to be an oak.  I don't really have any maples on my place.

Bill Gaiche

Thank You Sponsors!