iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Woodworking Shop

Started by Planman1954, November 27, 2016, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

Looks like an ingenious setup to me
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Me thinks that you Sir are a master of design as well as execution.  Bravo!   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Planman1954

Here's a few more pictures of the finished road case for the organ project:

This morning I stained the body of the organ with a gel stain I had color matched to my original Hammond organ. Here's some pictures of that:

This Saturday, my nephew Danny is going to come help me spray the lacquer finish. I'll try to post pictures of that when it happens.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Darrel

You know know we all are expecting to hear you play this organ when it is all together!  :) :) :)
1992 LT40HD

Planman1954

Planman1954

Here's my improvised paint booth for Saturday...a 45 dollar eBay find! I laid a tarp down and set it up over it. This will keep the dust down and bugs out for the spray lacquer. I set up a fan on the outside for air removal. There are plenty of areas where air can enter on the bottom and corners, so no need for an intake area. I think it will work fine. I'll wear a respirator.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

Planman1954

Well, Danny came by yesterday, and we made a day of it. It took us about three hours to get setup to spray. We ended up getting two coats on about half of the organ and one set of legs. He was full of tips for me. I feel a little more confident about doing this now. I took a couple of pictures, but it was a little dark in there...late in the day:

Planman1954

Sorry I've not posted in a while. I've been BUSY at my real job, and am now interrupted by a birthday shelf system for my much better half. I found  an action shot of me learning to spray lacquer:

After I get the organ set up, I'll post a picture.

Planman1954

I set up the organ and took a photo. Today I sat in the tone generator and bolted it down. I also ordered the trek preamp, for those taking notes. That hurt! 

Darrel

I've been following this project and now it's starting to get exciting!  Sorry for your pain though.
1992 LT40HD

Planman1954

Yeah Darryl. It cost about $300.00 MORE than I thought. If you know anything about Hammond organs, the early models did not have percussion like the classic B3 model I've built. That was an extra charge from Trek II. They already have the circuitry in the preamp, but said the CV model I have required a separate unit. Go figure. Oh well....Anyway, today I installed the vibrato line box. I flipped the organ over to make it easier. It still wasn't easy due to the type fasteners they used. But I persevered and got it on. I took picture of it upside down.

Planman1954

I just received the new preamp for the organ. This is a digital unit that replaces the heavier tube preamp. It also includes a reverb unit, and a unit to add percussion to the organ. Hammond organs this old did not have percussion, and a B3 model does. Here's a picture of the new parts. I'm in the deep end now!

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

Planman1954

Well, I learned a little late in life to swim....so I guess that still applies. I'm learning as I go about Hammond organs. I've always said, if you can read and add, you can do anything. I think that is about to be put to the test for me!

Darrel

I'll tell you everything I know about Hammond organs. The church I attended as a kid had one and if one were to inadvertently bump the speaker, it sounded like thunder. Hope that helps.

Seriously though, I wish you well as you undertake this faze of your project.
1992 LT40HD

Planman1954

I'm going to try to finish the organ project this month. It will be next month when I'll make the second flight case to carry the lower legs, pedal, and cables. I'm also going to make a spot in the second case for my new Korg Kronos 73 which I'll be playing on top of the organ. All of my equipment will then be in just two flight cases. Today I began staining the music rack. I decided to use the old CV rack which is walnut, hoping that the cypress/walnut contrast after staining will not be too noticeable. I think it will do fine. I had to make one of the curved ends of the rack which somehow got thrown away during my construction! Anyway, the right end that I made out of walnut will also House the trek reverb on off switch. That's why there is a hole in that end. It was a trip to fit, but it turned out perfect! I test fit the rack on my project and it fit well. Here are some pictures of it after I made it, a picture of it set in place for fit, and a picture of it stained.

The electronics and soldering of the new Trek preamp has gone well...the supplied instructions were good, and the company has great customer help. Pineywoods has been a constant help for me in engineering minor components to help the project along. He is one of the good...grumpy old men!
Here is a photo of wiring progress. The electronics are 90% completed. The music stand above had to be installed in order to hook up the last few switches. The bracing board was removed of course.

Darrel

Good to see that progress is being made!
1992 LT40HD

Solomon

totally awesome   !!!!!!!! 8)
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Planman1954

Well, the CV/B3 project hit a major snag today. After the start run switch did nothing, I decided to call a technician, and he was in the area and stopped by. He replaced the start switch and it fired up...but major problems were then realized. First time it has been turned on. Anyway, the note contacts were screwed on multiple notes causing constant tones. We decided to use a working replacement CV from his warehouse. I have to remove the entire organ from the cabinet, and take it to his warehouse where we will install a working CV. Oh well...I will persevere. At least on my end, the trek install was good. I've learned a tremendous amount about the Hammond organ over the last year and a half. All is well.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm glad I wasn't there when you learned you had to take the organ out of the cabinet.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

Planman, this reminds me of an experience I had years ago when the boss and I thought we were finished with a big project only to find that we had to tear into it again.

The boss and I were working late one night putting together an Weinig moulder.  Tried it and one of the spindles would spin for about 30 seconds and quit.  I felt like crying, was too tired to cuss.  I was at my wits end.  Boss says. "Go home and have a beer. Meet me here at 10 am. I learned a whole lot from that man.
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

Similar to what happened to me here when I made a 44" opening from the existing Cabin into the Cabin Addition.  She said that it should be an "opening" rather than a "doorway" so 44" became 94".   ;D

Edit:  And then as sometime happens, I got hung up on the Cabin Addition topic for over an hour.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Planman1954

Hey, life happens! At this point, I'm enjoying it all, good and bad. For those who care, I weighed the completed organ main body today before I begin disassembly. It weighs 185 lbs...quite a bit less than an original Hammond B3. Of course, the flight case weighs a bit, but I'll be able to maneuver it up stairs alone...that was the goal...to set it up myself.

Magicman

I am looking forward to seeing everything after completion.  Maybe a video so that we can even listen.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!