iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Woodworking Shop

Started by Planman1954, November 27, 2016, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I am envious of your skill and patience. My dad was a woodworker and this is the kind of project he would have loved, I now wish I had taken the time to learn more.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Planman1954

Sawguy21: Thanks. I miss my Daddy every day. I followed him around my whole life until he went to heaven and absorbed a lot of info on home building. It benefited me my whole life, since I've designed homes for 38 years now.
I worked a little more in the shop today and took a few pictures. First is a picture of the fall board biscuits, and then one of it glued on:

Next I drilled dowel holes for the rear top:

And here's a photo of it glued on:

More later!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Planman1954

Darrel

Enjoying watching the progress.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Planman1954

I sneaked out to the shop today and got in a couple hours. I fit the back onto the cabinet! All that is left is the impossible trim around the base of the main body, and the music board assembly, which I'll make after finishing the cabinet and installing the manuals. Here's a photo:

caveman

You are doing a fine job and the cypress looks great.  Thank you for sharing your project.
Caveman

21incher

Your craftsmanship is amazing. Thanks for sharing.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Planman1954

Thanks for the kind words. Next I plan on using my new harbor freight table lift to slip under the main body and lift it up, slip the legs off, and then flip it upside down in order to install the rounded lower body trim piece. That ain't gonna be no fun.

Darrel

No, I don't imagine it will be fun.  But we who are watching will continue to enjoy watching. Good luck and stay safe.
1992 LT40HD

Planman1954

Ok, so here's the idea I've had all along implemented. Using my table lift, I first placed it under the organ. The middle bottom stretcher has been lifted out:

Then I lifted it up and slipped off the end leg assemblies:

Next I flipped the main body upside down:

Then I began the installation of the trim pieces, first by boiling the pieces and then rushing to get them glued on and clamped. I'm glad I decided to do one end at the time. It was tough to do. Here's a photo:

I don't know why some of the photos get distorted, Sorry. I'll hopefully get the other end on this evening. Later...

Planman1954

Got the trim piece finished and sanded:

I also glued the trim piece onto the back:

And now it's time to begin working on the electronic innards! I won't bore y'all with all of that. But in the future will be posts showing the flight cases I'm about to make to house the organ, as well as the process to finish the cabinet. Stay tuned....

Planman1954

And here is the back installed:

Planman1954

Sorry it's been so long since the last update on the project. My father in law passed away peacefully in his sleep. He was a true hero, having served in Korea as well as Vietnam. He received the Purple Heart, and had a military salute at the service. It was very moving...a real tear jerker for my wife and me. He jumped off a gun boat and saved a number of his comrades when the boat in front was hit in nam. He was severely injured in Korea when a thousand pound weight fell on him while they were loading a ship. And then he was shot in the chest in Vietnam. He was in the hospital for months in both instances, but recovered nicely over time. I spoke to him a couple of days before he died, and he admonished me to get my transmission fluid changed. I did it of course, and was proud of myself and ready to tell him. I think He knows. We'll miss him.

Anyway, here's the final pictures of the project. The next steps will be to build flight cases for the organ, apply the stain and lacquer finish, and then install the innards from the old CV Hammond organ.

sandhills

Very sorry to hear about your father in law, our thoughts and prayers are with you all.  Your craftsmanship is amazing to me, I truly admire the woodworking skills shown on this board because I have none, I need a hammer, torch, and a welder so to speak.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Kbeitz

Keep the pictures coming ... Innards and all...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Planman1954

Ok...I'll post a few of the flight cases after I build them, and then one after the cabinet is lacquered. And I'll post one of the finished organ. It will be a while though. House plans are booming (my real job) which is a great thing!

Planman1954

My wife and I found a used commercial sewing machine on eBay. We got it in yesterday, and she and I made a cover for the main body (After a minor problem was repaired by Pineywoods. ;D) The cover is necessary to protect the finish as the flight case lid is lowered onto the thing. Anyway, I got a photo of her sewing the cover together. We used a packing blanket I had laying around. After some careful cutting and fitting, it turned out great! Here's a picture of the making of, and the finished product:

Darrel

That looks sharp and will keep the organ looking sharp too. The last thang you want is to get all your hard work all dinged up.
1992 LT40HD

Planman1954

I began the flight case for the main body this afternoon by cutting out the plywood pieces. I got a coat of paint on it so that I can start the assembly tomorrow. Here's a picture showing the pieces except for the top which was out of the view.

Planman1954

Got a few hours in this week on the main body flight case. It's upside down in the picture. I'll post again when it's done.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

Planman1954

I had some time this week to get back on the flight case. I'll admit it has been a tough build...almost as hard as the organ! Working and cutting metal is not fun to me. Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of the case, which is almost complete. I had to change the design a bit, and used latches instead of hinges which separate for the end pieces that remove. I'm waiting on them to come in the mail. I sat the casters on their base and took a picture. The case of course is upside down. I think it looks good. It has to sit off the ground a bit in order for the lift to go underneath. That's the reason for the high caster supports. Also, in one picture, you can see the little 1" rubber bottom pieces I put on one end. This will give me a cushion when I stand it on end for dollying.

Planman1954

More pictures showing the case on the lift jack.

Ljohnsaw

I guess it will be come clear when we see it in the case, but...  What is the purpose of the removable ends?  To lift it out of the case?  And will there be another case for the legs that fold up?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Planman1954

After the case is jacked up, the ends are removed from the case. This allows me to slip the legs into the holes in the bottom of the body. The case is then unlatched, and the bottom half (the part with the casters on on it) is lowered with the jack and set aside. The top of the flight case is removed, and the organ is set up. Oh, and yes, there will be another case built for the legs and the crosspiece which will have the volume pedal attached. My plan at the moment is to also house a portable keyboard in the same case along with cords, in order to have all my stuff in only two cases.

Thank You Sponsors!