iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Woodworking Shop

Started by Planman1954, November 27, 2016, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

Thanks twister. Yes, this is a fantastic size shop for a lone woodworker! I've been in woodwork heaven the last few weeks.
The idea of this project is to make a reproduction B3 cabinet that will be in TWO flight cases. The lower frame will disassemble and be put in a low case. The main body will be in another case. The whole idea is to have a B3 lookalike that someone would have a tough time telling from a real one which will be easy to move by myself, or with help from one friend.
I play classic rock, and have never used the bass pedals. You can't use pedals when you have a bass player...it would sound terrible, and doesn't work. By not having the metal pedal bar on the bottoms, I've cut a significant weight...that thing is heavy.
I'm going to use a digital preamp unit by Trek which replaces the tube preamp and also saves weight. The tone wheel generator is the magic of the Hammond, and of course, it remains along with the two manuals. The new unit also adds percussion and reverb since I'm using an older model Hammond CV which did not have percussion. It's a challenging project for me, but I'm in no rush, and have a gang of help in a Facebook forum I'm a member of. I'm using solid cypress instead of solid core plywood which was used in the original. It probably less than HALF the weight of the original.
I've owned a B3 for forty plus years, and I'm using that to measure in order to reproduce the case.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Kbeitz

I see that your using galvanized pipe on some pf your
pipe clamps. Change over to black pipe and you will
like your clamps so much more. The galvanize will
let the end slip real easy.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Carson-saws

VERY nice!!!...are you going to put a "Leslie" in it?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Planman1954

The Hammond B3 uses a separate speaker cabinet, and of course, the Leslie is the preferred choice. I've used a 122 all my life, and plan on using it with this one too.

Planman1954

Christmas is over, and today I got back in the shop and did a few things.

First, I finally received my large diameter router bit in from China to rout the main cabinet sides. 

Next is a picture showing the veneer glued to the top of the curved case sides. I had to boil the veneer pieces I made in order to bend them.

And finally is a picture of the front rail showing the end tenon, as well as the grooves to accept the lower manual underneath support bracket.

This will all make more sense when the main case assembly begins, and you'll see how it all works and fits together! 8)

Planman1954

I'm happy this morning, and decided to go ahead and post a picture of the side of the B3 cabinet after rounding it:

Here's a photo of the inside showing the mortise for the front rail that I posted a picture of earlier. You can also see the recess for the bottom.

Planman1954

This afternoon, I glued the sides to the front rail. Then I clamped, glued and screwed the bottom onto the case. It's beginning to shape up!

petefrom bearswamp

Great shop, and project.
Looking forward to the progress.
My shop is 32x56 and still not enough room as is is a multi purpose building.
I use both galvanized and black pipe whatever I can find as scrap.
free is good even if it sometimes slips.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Planman1954

Thanks Pete. I've had those clamps for forty years and they still work fine. I've built houses and furniture with them. I still have a bunch, but as they say, you can never have enough clamps!

5quarter

Looking good Planman. But if moving is the problem, Schaaf  supply carries an organ dolly that mounts semi permanently to the bottom of the organ. only raises the keyboard up about 2" but allows you to go anywhere with it. with a 6' ramp, it would load easily into a small cargo trailer. I used to play with a guy who insisted on gigging with a Steinway model "I" (Studio upright). Small, but much heavier than the Hammond.  He had a set of Trucks underneath the piano and did all his own moving. Never had a problem getting in and out of places. It just seems to me to be more work breaking it down, packing it, moving it, unpacking it and setting it back up than it would be to just roll it.
   Nice job btw, on that shoulder. Not sure how thick your veneer was, but if you need to make more radius curves, a small steam iron is your friend, apply steam to the outside of your curve and/or dry heat to the inside and you can easily make any radius you need. also, when using the cut out as a clamping block, use two or three thicknesses of rubber tubing in between the block and the veneer to ensure 100% contact. I use a section or two of bicycle tubing. Years ago, piano manufacturers used keybed felt. Either seem to work just fine, but the bicycle tubing I think, is less prone to slipping.
   Keep up the good work! Awesome shop, BTW.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Planman1954

That is a good tip! Bicycle tube...never thought about that! Thanks. As far as mobility, the whole project is about breaking the organ into two parts in order for me to move it easily. It may not work, and if not, I'll just use the original casters that I have for my original B3.
I'm going round and round right now on a way to lift the thing with a scissor table lift. I found one at harbor freight for about $170, but getting it out of the way after I lift it up and install the legs, and let it back down would take modifying the lift, and I don't do metal! Maybe Pineywoods can help me engineer something.😀
Here's a little progress photo today showing the knee board installed, and the little side blocks for the front legs set in for the photo. I'm going to install them tomorrow with dowels...that is NOT going to be fun.

Planman1954

I didn't have much time in the shop today...my REAL job was calling! But I did manage to glue on the two front blocks that support the front legs. I put a couple of dowels between the block and the side for reinforcement.

I know these posts may be boring, but I wanted to chronicle the organ build for myself as well as for others to see. It will make a lot more sense when there is a finished product. It would be hard to put together the daily struggle all at once showing the organ build, so that is why I post as I go. Thanks.

Planman1954

Here's a photo with the clamps removed and turned right side up.

Planman1954

Today I drilled the holes for the legs and mounted the cabinet. I'm a happy fellow! It was STABLE, and that's even without the top glued on and the back, which will also prevent racking side to side. I think I'm good on the portable idea!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Planman1954

I thought I might play in the shop today and attempt to reproduce the music base holder with the grooves. Boys and girls, do NOT try to make one of these at home. It was tough, but I'm fairly happy with the result so far. I had to custom file one of my router bits to get the grooves. It was very time consuming. Those guys probably had a custom molding bit they used to make the part. It's made in pieces and nailed together with finish nails. I took the CV stand apart to see how it was made. Lots of angles to make without the factory bits! This is before I trim the ends to length and chisel out for the hinges and felt tips.

Here's a photo of the piece cut to length with the hinge and felt mortises done.

Planman1954

I had to take a few days off from the project. My sinuses had gotten the best of me, and so after three weeks, I broke down and went to the doctor. I got two shots and a round of antibiotics. I was feeling better the next morning until....I bent over to turn the water off the tub and bent just right to feel the dreaded ripple in my back. It's done it about every five years or so, and so I'm out for count for a few days of bed rest. I hope to get back to it in a few days.

Darrel

Awesome shop! Great project! And do get to feeling better soon!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Farmerjw

Sinuses weren't because of dust in the shop?  I installed a shop air cleaner at the school shop, made a world of difference.  Used to have to clean my glasses at the end of each class, now not even at the end of the day.  Sound investment in my book.   Love the shop, beautiful work on the case.  Looking forward to you healing and continuing.  Relax and heal.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Planman1954

Farmerjw...I don't think it is shop dust...it's this crazy weather in north Louisiana. Been below freezing the last few days, and this week it will be in the eighties. And with the humidity, it wreaks havoc on the sinuses. Everyone has it practically!

Planman1954

Whew! Man, my sinuses were messed up! I'm starting to feel almost normal again, and got back into the shop yesterday and made a little progress on the organ cabinet. First I made a spacer which goes underneath the rear top piece. It lifts that piece to match the top front piece which rests on felt tips. Anyway, here's a picture of one of the two glued onto the top of the end:

Next I made the rear top piece. Here's a couple of pictures. One shows the groove on the bottom of it which accepts the back. 

And here's a picture of it right side up.

And finally, here's a couple of pictures of the cleaning of the original 73 year old brass hinge from the CV organ I'm using for the innards. First one shows the Brasso and the 0000 steel wool I used to clean it. And the second shows the finished product.

More later...

samandothers

Brass looks great!   I like your walls and trim in back ground.  Is it similar wood just different finish, one light and one dark?

Planman1954

Yep...all
southern yellow pine. I like the two tone look. Thanks!

Planman1954

Finally got back into the shop today and continued working on the top. I made the front top piece, and then glued up the fall board. I'll get back on it tomorrow! Here's a couple of photos:

Planman1954

I made a little more progress today. The end of building the cabinet is near! Here's a few pictures of progress.

Thank You Sponsors!