iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing SYP on the Frick

Started by ddcuning, November 26, 2016, 08:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

I know it has been an age since I posted on the forum. Work has been keeping me crazy busy but I am finally getting some mill time. Spent Friday sawing some SYP to make a storage cabinet for the garage. I also hadn't posted a video to Youtube in a while so figured I would share here.

Dave C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p7B8JVxbB8
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

ozarkgem

I don't think I could have turned that log on a Thanksgiving stomach. Looks like you have the mill dialed in. Nice job.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

caveman

I could watch that machine cut all day long. 
Caveman

dgdrls

Nice Dave,

I really enjoy watching a circle mill operate

D

ddcuning

Not sure I mentioned it in a previous post but if you look closely on the video you can see the track cleaners that Jeff gave me the pattern for. Thanks Jeff for the pattern, they work great!

Dave C

fishfighter

Nice video and you made that look to easy. :D

drobertson

Looked !ike a great day for sawing logs, more productive than the log I sawed after dinner!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sealark37

It's great to hear from you and see that you and the mill are doing well.  When you get a chance, do a video on quarter-sawing oak.    Regards, Clark

thecfarm

My Father would have enjoyed seeing that mill run. I know his son enjoyed it. Nice to see The Flag flying!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jeep534

Dave,
       so when are we gettin to the edger

archie

Bruno of NH

That's a cool mill and some great lumber
I like that syp
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

Yes, I have a band mill and am glad I do, but watching a band mill gets boring after a while. I have yet to get board watching a circle mill. Great video!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

21incher

Great video. I could watch that mill run for hours.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

ddcuning

Glad you all are enjoying the video, it was fun to make.

Clark, I will do a quartersawing video as soon as I can score a big oak. Right now collecting pine to build another shed to store the tractor and forklift under.

Archie, next on the list is the second shed and in conjunction get the planer going. I will keep at it.

Dave C

jeep534

Dave,
       I have been following from the start and I an glad you stuck with it. after reading through the long thread again I remembered a question I had. you said you sent out the L's to the machine shop. What did they do exactly. The handmills I have been around that seemed to be a weak point.  Keep up the information the videos are very helpful. (it proves with a little determination what one can accomplish)

Happy Hunting
archie

Ga Mtn Man

Enjoyed that very much.  Thanks for sharing the video and keep em coming.

What keeps the sap from building up on the blade when sawing SYP?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

ddcuning

Archie,
When I got the mill the bases were dished in from having logs dropped on them and the ells were dished in from having logs slammed against them for so many years. The machine shop had a large flat plane that they set the bases up on and flattened the tops that the ells ride in. Over the years the ells had dug into the bases. They then took the ells and squared them to the bases. Not sure how they did it. The guy that runs the "machine shop" is an older gentlemen with a large farm and a machine shop with all of his tools dating back 40-50 years ago. He had done many sawmills in the past and my mill is proof he knew what he was doing. Once I had them machined, I modified the bases with steel base plates and a Teflon like material for slides. This will prevent the ells from digging into the bases over time as they had done before.

Ga Mtn Man,
I don't have any issues with sap build up on the blade. Haven't had any on the teeth or shanks either. It just cuts smooth every time like in the video and with SYP, I don't have any problems.

Glad you all enjoyed the video. I worked at the mill today just doing little things. Put up a screen at the sawyer station to stop any sawdust that might be thrown back. Installed a spring mechanism on the lever so that I don't get carriage creep and extended the platform for my off bearer so that he doesn't have to reach when we are sawing the short logs. Nice to be doing little upgrades instead of troubleshooting sawing problems! 8)

Dave C

jeep534

woodworker9

You have a beautiful circle mill, and I really enjoyed the video.  I really get mesmerized by watching a circle mill in action.  I get up each morning around 4:30 am, and I go downstairs, make a pot of coffee, and turn on milling videos on youtube....crazy I know.

One of these days, I'm gonna get a circle mill project to set up.  I really enjoy the several threads on here from you guys who have done a terrific job of restoring and setting them up.  Here in the midwest, you don't see them that often.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Dave_

Dave,  congrats on getting your mill humming along.  You seem to have won the war!  I appreciate your steadfastness on getting this old girl back into working condition.

Happy sawing

Thank You Sponsors!