iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Coffee Table

Started by scleigh, November 24, 2016, 09:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

I'm not much of a furniture builder, mostly benches and rustic pieces. My neighbor has been after me for a while to build him a coffee table. I put him off as long as I could, but I finally saw'd the walnut and sent it to the kiln. I drug my feet all summer and fall, but finally got it together this week.
I used boiled linseed oil on the frame and epoxy on the top. The epoxy turned out ok, but does have a few blemishes. It's hard to get a picture of because the epoxy creates a reflection of everything around.

Magicman

Oh Yes, I would say that it "reflects" very well.  Very well indeed!!   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ToddsPoint

Very nice table.  I like the edge treatment.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

cbla

Bill Gaiche

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

21incher

That is amazing. smiley_thumbsup I wish I could get a finish like that on my tops. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

scleigh

Thanks for the comments guys. The epoxy is easy to use, If I can do it :D
My neighbor picked the table up this morning and was tickled to death over it. He's a big farmer, about 6'5" tall and calls everyone "Bo". He called this evening and said" hey bo, you building anymore furniture"? I said "not if I can help it".
He wants 2 end tables to match the coffee table :o

WDH

Never used epoxy as a finish.  Can you explain how you did it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WLC

Beautiful!

I'll second the request for a "how to" on the epoxy finish you used on the top.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

scleigh

There seem to be quite few brands of epoxy out there, the one I used was famowood glaze coat. It leaves a thick finish, about 1/16, per application. I used 2 coats, or pours, as the instructions calls them.
I just followed the instructions and watched a few youtube videos, but it's pretty simple. You mix equal amounts of the resin and the hardner and stir twice, 6 minutes each. Then you pour the mix onto the top and spread with a plastic tool, I used an old squeegie. The epoxy sets fairly fast, about 20 minutes, and you can use a heat gun to remove air bubbles as they form.The epoxy self levels and you can apply another coat in 4 hours, totally cured in 72 hours.
I'm not a big fan of polyeurethane, I had rather use an oil, and was hesitant to use the epoxy. I had several cracks and voids to fill in this top, as it came from the crotch of a walnut tree. Also I knew this table would see many beer cans, so I went with the epoxy top, like many tops in restaurants .

newoodguy78

The table looks great. I can see why he wants end tables to match. That's the only trouble with doing nice work it always seems to lead to more.

Kbeitz

The biggest thing with epoxy is to make sure that
every crack or hole is sealed so the epoxy does not
leak through.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodweasel

ozarkgem

I spread my epoxy with a grooved trowel that you would use for grout. I use 3/16 spacing. Makes for a good even coat. You can get the Famwood at Lowes.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!