iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have any experience with the Infinity 2" planer router bit?

Started by 21incher, November 24, 2016, 12:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I see that Infinity has a 2" diameter 1/2" shank router bit that they say can be used to flatten slabs. I am getting ready to build a router sled for slabs and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this bit or any like it. I am thinking it would need a big router that is variable speed for a end cutting bit that large. Just wondering if anyone has tried running a face cutting bit this large. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ianab

I use a bit like that for my router sled.  Big Makita 3612 variable speed router running about 1/2 speed. We have 240volt mains power here, so our version of the router is rated at 2400w ( A little over 3 hp) 

I works well, just keep the depth or width of the cutting sensible and the chips fly.  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Just Me

If you can get your hands on a Porter Cable 3 1/4hp router I have found that to be the best router for big bits. I have some customs that are very big and heavy, like a 2" cove bit that is 5" in diameter. I would not run that bit in any other router, and I do use the slowest speed. I mistakenly turned it on once at 21K and it sounded like an air raid siren.

I have the big Festool, and the Porter cable handles it better.

2' overall is not that big, but I still would recommend the big PC, it is made for those kind of duties. Th top bearing is larger than most bottom bearings and the bottom bearing is huge.

I have had good experiences with Infinity bits.

21incher

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need to save up for a more powerfull router then my 2 1/4 hp Bosch that I was going to use. Having bigger bearings makes sense for a bit that size. They also have some smaller diameter bits that I may have to look at to get started with the router I have. My Bosch 1617 will go down to 8000 RPM, but I think running it that slow for long periods of time may damage it. It seems like no mater how many tools you have, you never have the right tool to get the job done. :) 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

I'm also building a router sled to fit on the track of my mill.
Instead of using a router I'm going to use a shaper spindle.
I will power it with a 5 hp 3450 rpm electric motor.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

cbla

I use the Magnate 2706 Surface Planing 2inch bit and have had great results.

21incher

Kbeitz that shouid have the power for a big shell mill. I am going to build mine to fit my mill also. I have the original 6 ft tracks that came with the mill that I will start with to build one that will fit in my shop and flatten a 5 ft slab. I am thinking about learning about using an arduino for controlling it and a low cost stepper driven chain drive so it will work like a low end  CNC router and have x & y control with a manual z. It should then be easy to add it to my 14 ft mill trailer for the longer slabs. I like the idea of using a router that I can remove and use in my shop for other purposes.:)

21incher

Quote from: cbla on November 25, 2016, 01:00:44 PM
I use the Magnate 2706 Surface Planing 2inch bit and have had great results.
Thanks I will look into that one. :)

Larry

Since your going to build something a little idle dreaming on my part.

Years ago there was a cutter called the Wagner Safety Planer.  It was designed for drill press use to surface small pieces of wood.  I think it was close to 3" diameter.  It is long gone, but there is another outfit that is reproducing the cutter and selling on ebay.  I would think the cutter could be coupled to a standard electric motor. maybe 1 HP or so with an adapter.

Just a thought and no idea how it would work, but I would do most anything to avoid listening to a big router at work.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodworker9

Your smaller Bosch router will not be happy for very long with that large of a router bit.  I have that same router for smaller, faster hand held routing operations, like edge treatments.  For the larger bits, you'll want the Porter Cable 3 1/4 hp router.  I have that same router, and it is definitely the one to use for the bigger stuff.  Run it on it's slowest setting.

Also, bearings are pretty easy to change when the time comes.....and the time will come if you use it a lot.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

21incher

Quote from: Larry on November 25, 2016, 01:32:28 PM
Since your going to build something a little idle dreaming on my part.

Years ago there was a cutter called the Wagner Safety Planer.  It was designed for drill press use to surface small pieces of wood.  I think it was close to 3" diameter.  It is long gone, but there is another outfit that is reproducing the cutter and selling on ebay.  I would think the cutter could be coupled to a standard electric motor. maybe 1 HP or so with an adapter.

Just a thought and no idea how it would work, but I would do most anything to avoid listening to a big router at work.

I have one of those planers. It was made to fit on a Craftsman radial arm saw that I had years ago. I found it extremely dangerous to use for removing anything  over 1/32".  I think you would need a spindle setup to make something like that work and to be able to vary the speed until the proper working speed was found for the best cut. :)

Larry

Cross off that idea.  Guess that is why they went out of business.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Just Me

Something I have thought about but never had the need to invent was to make a sled for a 3 1/2" electric planer. Cover a lot more ground and with new carbides they do a pretty nice cut, especially my Bosch. Just a thought.

21incher

Quote from: Just Me on November 26, 2016, 04:16:16 PM
Something I have thought about but never had the need to invent was to make a sled for a 3 1/2" electric planer. Cover a lot more ground and with new carbides they do a pretty nice cut, especially my Bosch. Just a thought.
At one time I thought  about trying to make one with my Bosch hand planer, but it does not always do a good job without tearout around knots. I think there is less chance of damage with a router, but I could be wrong. :)

Quote from: Larry on November 26, 2016, 02:45:08 PM
Cross off that idea.  Guess that is why they went out of business.
I wonder if a lawsuit may have helped?  :)

Thank You Sponsors!