iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gone for a Mosey

Started by Stephen Alford, November 24, 2016, 07:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

I know there are some great folks on this forum that are unable to take a walk in the bush.  Fortunately I get to do it a lot ; thought I might start a thread with just a couple pics.  :)

Getting there can be a bit of a challenge but the mud washes off.    :D

logon

Autocar

Nothing like being in the woods we are a blessed bunch of guys. The last picture makes me nervous so far we are dry but that can change over night  :D
Bill

thecfarm

Thanks for the pictures. All that dead wood in that second picture I would be picking up for my OWB. In fact that is what I did this morning.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Good place to be.It is deer hunting season here so out of respect to the hunters I stay out of the woods.
I always enjoy your posts and love to see what projects you are working on.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

47sawdust,I own 170 acres,hunters need to respect me and my land. They need me,I don't need them.  ;)
My step son comes here to hunt. As he says,They are use to you,you just do whatever you want to do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

enigmaT120

Looks like easy walking through those woods.  Are they that open in the summer, or is there a bunch of annual undergrowth?  Around here hardwoods (generally alders where I live) don't seem to suppress undergrowth very well.  Not like a nice, dense fir or cedar stand anyway.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Stephen Alford

Thank-you

The first three pics are of a stand of primarily beech. The litter does not decompose easily . This L layer inhibits germination of most species. As the beech is rather long lived it is considered a climax species here. The visual effect and the strolling through the leaves is a favorite  for a lot of folks.  The last 2 pics are of hardwood stands I thinned 20/30 years ago.  The owners have requested a selective cut.

Yes Pete it is a potato field... or was.  When I look at these fields the expression "fill your boots always comes to mind"  Back when life was tougher after the farmer was done digging folks would ask if it was alright to hand pick what was left behind.   The farmer usually responded... fill your boots... off would come the gumrubbers and the second harvest would commence.  Ol habits are hard to break.. :D

logon

62oliver

Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

62oliver

62oliver

A bad day of hunting still beats almost anything :) :) :) :)

Ken

Stephen   Is the beech on the island infested with the scale canker like here in NB?  It is very rare to find a smooth barked beech here.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Stephen Alford

Hey Ken...yes it is for the most part, the odd 8 or 12' bolt. With firewood sales slumping so badly the beech component in a load helps. Not a penny more but like seasoning it would help to hold on to sales.  Nice job  on the thinning. Take time to get out and drive a couple golf balls. Noticed a couple of health issues with folks after going full time processors.
   Great stroll 62oliver , I was ready for a coffee after looking at your pics. What was it that you were hoping to point that barrel at ??
logon

62oliver

The elusive white-tailed deer

sprucebunny

Better stop here, we've reached the swamp.

I don't remember the name of the flower/seed.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!