iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID please!

Started by CHJunjou, November 23, 2016, 09:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHJunjou

I need help IDing these blocks of wood. The first two pictures are when it's dry, the second two pics are of it slightly wet surfaces. This kind of wood smells really great. When I sanded it, it gave off a rather sweet smell. When water was dabbed on it's surface, it also gave off a nice, strong fragrance.

Ljohnsaw

Sweet, like pineapple?  If so, that would be Ponderosa Pine.  The fairly large rings makes me think it is in the pine family.  But that is just a guess as I'm no expert ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

Some sort of white "cedar"? Colour and growth rings look right, and they all have distinctive smells.

It looks a lot like the Port Orford cedar I play about with, but that has a definite "Ginger" smell.
Alaskan Yellow Cedar apparently smells like "raw potatoes", but I've not sawn any of that, so no personal experience with the smell. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

newoodguy78

Would it be Douglas fir by chance? The top piece in the second picture looks a lot like it to me. I've never really noticed a sweet smell to it though.

Jeff

It would help to know where you are and where the wood came from. If you were in the great Lakes area, I would say Northern White cedar.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GAB

CHJunjou:
Welcome to the FF.
I wonder if it could be balsam.
It might require a microscopic analysis to properly assess it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

It does look like a white cedar to me too.  There are a number of species of them worldwide, but they are not very common anywhere. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Quote from: WDH on November 26, 2016, 10:10:19 AM
It does look like a white cedar to me too.  There are a number of species of them worldwide, but they are not very common anywhere.

Danny, you need to plan 2 or 3 extra days this year and go to the cabin with me. I'll show you a place where it is common. ;) You would love it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CHJunjou

Quote from: Jeff on November 26, 2016, 09:16:58 AM
It would help to know where you are and where the wood came from. If you were in the great Lakes area, I would say Northern White cedar.

Well, I actually found these pieces in the scraps pile at a woodshop in my school, and decided to take them with me since they smelled so great; I figured I could make something with them. And I'm in New York.

DelawhereJoe

Looks like s-p-f lumber to me, is the wood just around 1.5" from flat side to flat side ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

CHJunjou

The pieces seem to be from one bigger piece, because some of the rings line up. When put together, the diameter is just over 3.25 inches.

Glenn Ohman

Yup, it indeed appears to be arborvitae. Technically it is a false cedar.

Glenn

Thank You Sponsors!