iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pressure Canner Help

Started by Mark M, November 23, 2004, 07:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

My wife wants to can some pears but we can't find the hot water canner. I remember reading where you could use a pressure canner at low pressure instead of a hot water bath. Problem is I can't remember any of the details and we can't find the book.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Paschale

Hey there Mark,

Don't know if this will have the answer for you, but this is where I always go with canning questions:

http://www.homecanning.com/

It's by the Ball jar company.

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

UNCLEBUCK

I asked my ma who is a 50 year veteran to canning and she said she never uses either the pressure or non-pressure for pears . Here is how she does it just for a example . Peel about 12 pears at a time and drop them in ice cold ice water with a teaspoon of salt or lemon juice which prevents them from turning black. Use any kind of open lid kettle and add 3 to 4 cups sugar to 12 cups water for a 12 pear batch and bring to a boil. While that is going on get your jars clean and also put the lids into a seperate boiling water bath . Cut pears in half and remove stems and scoop out the middle and drop them back in clean ice water. Add ice cold pears into the boiling sugar water and frequently check with a fork and when you can push the fork through with ease take the pears out and put 16 pear halves into quart jar and add boiling hot sugar water solution into jar up to 1 inch from top of jar . Make sure jar top has been cleaned with boiling hot water before adding pears. Take a lid and cap out of boiling hot water with a fork and screw on jar as hard as you can . Thats it . This is her way but she is a canning pro and this year she did 600 cans of vegys and even venison . This is how she does the pears though . Good Luck , yummy yummy !  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

D._Frederick

UNCLE-,

The canning method your mother uses is called OPEN KETTLE and works good to can pears, peaches, prunes, and etc., but you don't want to use it on beans and other vegys and for sure not on meat.

Be careful- tomane poison is bad stuff.

UNCLEBUCK

Hello D. , I dont know much on canning ,I just stick to gardening but I think my ma calls this the no kettle method in which there is no submersion of any jars , the jars stay out on the counter and the boiled ingredients get filled into the jars and sealed and thats it. Youre right about poisoning and she uses a pressure canner for everything that allows it . She loves to stand at the stove with her walker in one hand and a big wooden spoon in the other canning . I would hate to get hit by that big wooden spoon of hers .  :o I just wanted to show her easy way of doing pears. Heck Mark is probably allready eating pears by now .

WH_Conley

UNCLEBUCK sounds like she should be in the role model thread.
Bill

UNCLEBUCK

I told her today that Mark from Bismarck was going to pressure can pears and I just about got klunked by the wooden spoon . She said no no no ! hee hee  :D , She did mention and I forgot but just when you can start to stick the fork into the pears to get them into the jar asap because they will continue to cook so taking the pears out at that stage prevents the pear from getting mushy .  Well I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving dinner somewhere with family and friends .

Mark M

Thanks for the help everyone and especially Mom! We just decided to get a hot water canner so we could do it the way we always did. The pears are almost a little too far along. Got them from a guy in the truck shop, seems a truck hauling pears rolled over and spilled it's load. He had a whole pickup load of boxes of pears that are really good. I've had road-killed deer and bear before but these are the first road-killed pears!

Thank You Sponsors!