iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log standard material size

Started by ohiowoodchuck, November 23, 2016, 08:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I'm going to make a set of standards for my gooseneck. It's a 25 foot 20,000 lb trailer. I won't be using it everyday for this purpose just something to put on a haul 5-6 loads a year. I have seen the setup that yellow hammer made for his. I'm trying to make up my mind on how big the up rights should be. I can only make them about 30"-36" tall since that would be even with the top of the neck. I'll be hauling some pulp wood about 20ish foot long and some saw logs in the 16 foot length. Give me some ideas for material dimensions.
Education is the best defense against the media.

OH logger

i have an 18,000 lb trailer 25 foot long and my bunks are 4 feet high and made out of 4X4X5/16. the hold up just fine. I haul firewood poles on it but I load and unload myself so I don't have to make them heavy enough so the cowboy unloadin at the mill cant bend em up  ;)
john

bill m

The stakes on my single axle log truck are 2x4x1/4 wall tubing, 52 inches long. Been using the same ones for about 18 years and have not bent or broke one yet.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

ohiowoodchuck

Is the 4" part pointed inward to keep the strength and from bending outward.

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

ohiowoodchuck

It just been hard for me to decide. I seen 20 log trucks a day and everyone is diffrent. I have even seen a aluminum flat bed with 2x2 tubing hauling logs.

Ohio_Bill

My son-in-law made these for my flat bed truck. Which I would think would work on a trailer. They are 4 inch and have held up very well.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

bigblue12v

Mine are 2x2" square tube 3/16" wall about 32" tall with 12x12" 1/4" thick gussets on bottom. I have two bunks on my 18k lb gvwr gooseneck. Knock on wood no one has torn them up yet.

Was going to post a picture to try and help you, but apparently I'm banned from my own gallery.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

thecfarm

bigblue12v,I'm not banned.
You must have pressed something and done it to yourself.  :D

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ohiowoodchuck

That looks like a good idea. I called my buddy he owns a fab shop. I think I'll let him decide. I'm leaning toward 4x4 tubing. I'm running out of time and need to get some stuff done.

bigblue12v

Thanks for posting the pic for me Ray. The standards were taller there, I ended up building another set and moving them all around so there's two sets now and cut those down little lower to make it easier to lift a log up over them. If I could use my gallery I'd show you some pics with a few real good loads stacked on. 4x4 would really give loader operators more room but none have complained or done damage with this setup. These are removable with pins and pockets as you can see.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Ohio_Bill

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

bigblue12v

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on November 24, 2016, 09:47:28 AM
Yep  Thats a load .

Thanks that's the one. And yes that is too much of a load! Lol only had to go a couple miles to the mill via county roads. Still not safe I don't endorse that. But as you can see they work fine.

brendonv

On my trailer i went 4x4x.25 x48". Had custom gussets cut for extra strength at the 90.

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Thank You Sponsors!