iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln air circulation

Started by bedway, November 23, 2016, 02:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

I built a DH kiln and ran two loads thru it. The wood was air dried down to about 12 to 14%. Both loads came out of the kiln in under 8% and within 6 days. My problem is at the end of the steralization  cycle after the second load it toasted the fan inside. The temp. inside got up to 157degrees and blew the thermal fuse on the walmart (all metal) fan. After doing some surfing it appears finding a stand alone, high temp., inexpensive fan is near non existent. Im brain storming going with a squirrel cage with the motor mounted outside the kiln. Any thoughts, input would be appreciated.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Many kilns use a motor outside and a shaft running inside to the fans. Even more kilns use a motor designed to withstand the heat.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

I've seen a lot of "kiln duty" motors fail. A company that I worked with many years ago claimed that class B lasted as long as the expensive motors. Ducting is a decent idea or, as Gene says, they have been mounting motors outside and using a long shaft for a long, long time.

scsmith42

I've been using Dayton TEFC motors on the fans in my kiln for years.  5 of the six still have the original motors and 4 of the six still have the original capacitors.

Graingers PN is 5UKE7.

We crank the heat to 150 - 160 at the end of every kiln cycle.  It helps to leave the motors running for 1 - 2 hours after turning the heat down at the end of the cycle. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodman58

I am going to be putting 4 of these fans mounted to a sheet of plywood across the center of my kiln. They are mady to be in hot areas. You  will have to remove the thermostat.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Thank You Sponsors!