iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forum Member BillyB's Pecan Waterfall Bench

Started by WDH, November 23, 2016, 07:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

BillyB got a pecan (smiley_devil) slab from me and made this beautiful waterfall bench.  I love it.  Billy, that is a very fine piece.  I really like the continuous live edge and how the grain flows in the piece.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Pecan lumber is warm and beautiful with an attitude.  That bench is very pleasing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

You really need to spend a few minutes looking at it to understand what is going on with that fine looking bench.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Larry

That is an attractive bench.  Do you know Billy made the joints?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fishpharmer

Masterful workmanship of beautiful (difficult to master) lumber. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Quote from: Larry on November 23, 2016, 07:34:22 PM
That is an attractive bench.  Do you know Billy made the joints?

Maybe he will wade in and describe how he made the joint.  I believe that he used splines. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Savannahdan

Very, very nice.  Thanks for sharing.  Happy Thanksgiving.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

BillyB

Thanks Danny. The joints are multi-spline blind mitre. I saw that slab at Danny's and knew right away it was going to be a waterfall bench.
LT-15, Stihl MS880, MSC362, 72" Grandberg, Kubota M8546

Den Socling

I don't think any wood looks cooler than in waterfall legs!

WDH

You should see his last two projects.  Maybe he will post some pics.  Come on, billy, show them the curly maple table and the walnut waterfall bookcase.  They deserve to be seen.

BillyB

I've loaded to photos to my gallery, and will try to attach them to this post.
No luck. Here's the URL
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/42057/IMG_1098.JPG

WDH

Here is the curly maple entryway table.  This is curly maple that Customsawyer and I sawed.  I believe that the joinery is all sliding dovetails.

Here is the walnut waterfall bookcase.  I have never thought about doing a waterfall style with the continuous grain, but I love it. The top and bottom all have the flowing waterfall design. 

Magicman

Beautiful pieces.  I also see that distinctive purple demarcation line between the heartwood/sapwood on the Walnut.  It worked quite well on that bookcase.  Good job!   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BillyB

WDH

BillyB

Per the orders of WDH! Below are images of a solid Oak Credenza. A lot of fun making this piece.

WDH

thecfarm

DanG,where have you been hiding all these years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BillyB

Thanks. I had a completely different job. I have a couple more things to establish on the farm and then I will hit the market. I have to build a dry kiln chamber and need to build an additional building. I just finished my dry shed a couple weeks ago.

sandsawmill14

great looking projects and fine craftmanship smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WDH

69bronco

Beautiful!  Love that sycamore  smiley_clapping

BillyB

This is the curly cherry babydoll cradle Danny was referring too. The dovetails were handcut at an angle. Another fun piece. By the way, I just spent 2 hours reading YellowHammer's 40' shipping container build. I have a lot of work ahead of me!

fishpharmer

I would have to leave the drawers and doors open if I had that beautiful credenza!   8)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

That curly cherry is fantastic (if Customsawyer and Myself may say so ourselves.  We sawed it  ;D).   ;D ;D

fishpharmer

WDH, definitely fantastic curly cherry!  BillyB, is woodworking a hobby or profession?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Just Me

BillyB

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 15, 2016, 10:01:26 PM
WDH, definitely fantastic curly cherry!  BillyB, is woodworking a hobby or profession?

Turned profession a couple months ago. I'm still building up the establishment before I launch a webpage.

Just Me

Been making a living at it for most of my life, my own company for 26 years. I think you will do just fine. Don't be afraid to charge, and do the best work you can, and the customers will come.

I have not advertised in 25 years.......

caveman

Thank you for sharing some of your creations with us BillyB.  Danny, you and Jake find some pretty wood inside some of those logs.
Caveman

WDH

We have cut some nice ones.  A bunch of nice ones.

WDH

Here is a very cool development on the pecan waterfall bench.  Billy donated it to the Jimmy Carter Center in Plains GA for an auction to benefit the Center.  A President of the United States signed a piece of my wood and Billy's pecan waterfall bench.  Now, how cool is that?

Here is Billy with President Carter.

Way to go, Billy  8). 

caveman

Super cool.  I have always had a lot of respect for President Carter.  My dad used to work for him when he was the governor of Georgia. 
Caveman

Den Socling

I have always had a lot of respect for President Carter, too. He landed as president in a very bad time with the economy in the commode and the hostages in Iran. There wasn't a lot he could do but his heart was in the right place. And I could never understand why people would ridicule him for turning down the heat at the White House and putting on a sweater to set an example. The American public has disappointed me at times in my life.
You and Billy should be very proud.

red

Beautiful bench, it should bring a lot of peanuts at auction.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

Both of you have done good to be involved in all that. It is good to give. Good job!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!