iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

25 year Desert Storm Re-union

Started by OlJarhead, November 22, 2016, 04:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

This year was the 25th year anniversary of Desert Storm and my wife and I flew out to North Carolina to hold a BBQ for the battalion (Organized by the 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion Chapter of the 2nd Marine Division), tour the unit and some of the new training facilities and to attend the Birthday Ball.  We had a blast and I thought I'd share some of the pics I took while back at my old unit.

Posing with the prototype of our vehicles.  This is an early LAV25 that was tested and slightly modified before being shipped to the battalion at it's creation.  The unit was officially formed in 1984 but didn't have much in the way of buildings, vehicles or personnel until 1985.  Then in 1986 when I joined we began getting more vehicles and equipment etc...by 1988 the unit was mostly complete with 4 companies (A through D) and the name was changed from 2nd Light Armored Vehicle Battalion to Light Armored Infantry.  By Desert Storm we had all of the vehicles in use today (LAV-25 *main fighting vehicle*, LAV-AT *Anti-Tank*, LAV-M *Mortar*, LAV-L *Logistics* and LAV-R *Recovery*  as well as the C2 version *Command and Control*).  Later, in 1994, the name was changed a 3rd and final time from Infantry to Reconnaissance.

Firing the M240 Machine Gun in the 'immersion' trainer.  This was a lot of fun.  Kinda like a video game with real machine guns ;)

My wife and I at the 'roll over' trainer.  In this multimillion dollar facilities marines can be put into vehicles and have IED simulations that cause the vehicles to literally roll over.  After the vehicle stops they can then get out and it is an invaluable trainer for today's warfare.  We didn't particpate in this training (no sense in getting hurt! lol) but did drive in the convoy sim which was a lot of fun.  In the convoy trainer you use an actual vehicle (in my case the hummer) and drive in a computer dome that makes it very realistic.  You can be ambushed or hit with IED's and have to respond with weapons etc.  It's a great trainer and I had a blast doing it!

My good friend Master Gunnery Sergeant (retired) Barnes.  I hadn't seen Top Barnes since returning from the Gulf and he and I spent a lot of time together in the Gulf.  I was his driver in a hard shell hummer though in truth he drove more than me I think! lol.  He enjoyed driving and who was I to argue LOL  Of course, when someone had to get out and do anything, well, no need to shift drivers since crap rolls downhill as we used to say ;)

Master Guns Downey!  We were in the same company back in 1986 and he's still in!  Was crazy to see an old friend still serving but he will retire next year with 32 1/1 years of service.

The old vets and their wives held a BBQ for the new crop of Marines and it was a great time chatting with all the young bucks about the old days and the current life.  Can't say enough how much fun that was!

As a scout I spent many a day in the back of an LAV-25 and this is where I rode, slept and jumped out of....yes it's cramped, cold (or hot depending on the time of year) and hard to get in and out of but I wouldn't change a thing :)  I was technically a mechanic but in a unit like this one that just meant you were a scout with a tool box ;)

The LAV-25 (Light Armored Vehicle with 25mm Chain gun and coaxial 240G Machine gun as well as a pintle mounted 240G (7.62mm) machine gun for the vehicle commander) is the main fighting vehicle of the battalion and can travel at speeds of over 65mph on the highway, swim without any preparation, shoot from the water, drive right into the water, cross the water and drive right out while always engaging the enemy.  They also carry 4 scouts in the back (seen above) who can deploy for quick strike missions or recon.

Since I was there from the start (a little after but still considered the start officially) I am known as a 'plank owner' of both 2nd LAV BN as well as 2nd LAI BN so it was a great visit and lots of the new breed wanted to hear about 'the old days' LOL.  I have to admit, the 'new' facility we moved into in 1990 looked rather old and worn but perhaps that's just a reflection of time and as my wife put it "your a little old an worn now too jarhead!"

Too much fun frankly!  Wish I wasn't so far away but making the 3000 mile journey isn't something I can afford to do often.

Sadly though, very few of my fellow vets turned out for the event but perhaps at 30 years more will consider it.

Semper Fi
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Sixacresand

Oljarhead, Thanks for the post, photos and your service.  Glad you had a good time.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

gspren

Very nice! My Navy ships reunion (Vietnam) does better with getting people after they retire, and it also helps if people are called personally to ask them to come.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

dgdrls

OJH,  Thank-you for your service and a dandy post,

D

OlJarhead

Thanks All :)  Here's a couple pics of the keepsakes from the reunion.

Small K-Bar knife (letter opener), wallet ID holders for the wife and I, the battalion coin and Ball program.

K-Bar and coin.

Flipside of the coin.

All cool items I can put up somewhere :)

goose63

OJH the reunions are fun Ihave been to 7 of ours Appleton Wisc was the best 27 0f us that in M Co at the same time sitting at the table togather again lots of beer went down that night.

thank you for your service :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

OlJarhead

Quote from: goose63 on November 23, 2016, 06:03:50 PM
OJH the reunions are fun Ihave been to 7 of ours Appleton Wisc was the best 27 0f us that in M Co at the same time sitting at the table togather again lots of beer went down that night.

thank you for your service :snowball:

Thank you for yours!

trapper

thank you veterans I am indebted to you
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

cbla

Nice Post and some cool pics! Thanks for sharing!

sawguy21

Sounds like a lot of fun. 8) We weren't involved but that campaign was truly amazing for us, CNN brought it right into our living rooms. We had a tv in the coffee room at work, we would watch a missile approach the target then snow on the screen, the guys cheered like it was a video game.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

timberlinetree

Thanks for sharing and thank you and all vets for their service!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

samandothers

Glad it was a good visit and reunion.  Thank you for the tour and pictures.

Thank you for your service and to others who served!

muggs

Welcome home Jarhead. The reunions I went to, I swear they must have brought in people from the rest home. But they probably thought the same of me. :D I was also a scout but in the Army. Our vehicle was a m114 armored personnel carrier  in RVN. A long time ago.   Muggs

OlJarhead

Quote from: muggs on November 29, 2016, 09:03:47 PM
Welcome home Jarhead. The reunions I went to, I swear they must have brought in people from the rest home. But they probably thought the same of me. :D I was also a scout but in the Army. Our vehicle was a m114 armored personnel carrier  in RVN. A long time ago.   Muggs

Thanks you and welcome home my friend!  Your service is appreciated and I hold deep respect for all Nam vets.  In fact, I make it a point to stop them, shake their hands and welcome them home whenever I meet one or even just notice one because of a hat or something. 

Welcome home.

justallan1

Great post. Thank you and everyone who has served. Glad that you had a great time.

Stephen1

Great post and pictures, and the best is your descriptions. I am from the north, and still appreciate what all the vets of done! North and South of the border.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Carson-saws

OlJarhead...Like many have said Sir...Thank you for your service!...Looks like you had a fantastic time. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Thank You Sponsors!