iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3/8 Vs .404

Started by JD_Kid, April 03, 2002, 03:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
as most know i'm looking at a mill with a chain saw power head (90cc).now i can get a slabber addon ,well more of a barholder kinda set up for slabbing ie it holds the saw and bar in a frame that slides down the mill tracks ..now as this is a new saw to me i can swing anyway for chain size ..for felling i'd run with a 30-36 inch bar, for slabbing maybe the same or a bit bigger .what kind of chain/chains would you guys run on this kinda set up ,haveing 2 bars and chains is not a worry to me so best chain for each type of job is fine..i'd like to have a clean/fast cut while slabbing  ,thanks
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Kevin

3/8 pitch
I like a square corner cutting tooth for felling like the Stihl RS or Oregon LG.
The only ripping chain I`ll use is Oregon full skip RA.
You`ll need an additional oiler for the big stuff.

KiwiCharlie

G'day,

Yeah Id have to go with the forum god (again) on this one!
Go for 3/8s.  For a faster cut etc if you only (!) have 90cc available.
My preference is .404, but Im not worried about kerf size.  Timbersaws in Levin carry 3/8 RA rip by the box.  159 +gst. (25')
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

JD_Kid

Hi ya
ya got a phone number and contact person ya know at timber saws ??shipping it to the mainland  ;)may be pricey tho :'(
thanks
JD Kid

KiwiCharlie

G'day,

Timbersaws 06 368-2494, talk to Chris.  Orders over a hundy are freight free.  Dont start with the mainland comments, you know we will just cut the power cable and let you guys drift away.....
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

JD_Kid

Hi ya
thanks for that info i'll try them out and see what they can do ..the name rings a bell tho as some of my grandmothers fam are still up there, one is a forstry advizer(?) and when i was looking for pruning gear i think the name come up...as for cutting the cable yes the boat would float away but would the fish not go to the bottom of the sea? ;) (old old story for people outside of new zealand the old story tellers said the south island was the boat and the north island was the fish )but if the s$%& hits the fan or anyone needs a hand we become one
catch ya
JD Kid

John_Boisselier

I think that the additional vibration levels with .404 will get really aggravating after awhile.  Also in really wide cuts you will want the extra torque that a 3/8-7 sprocket will give you over a .404 as well as the lesser amount of drag on the 3/8 chain.
The Woodsman

Thank You Sponsors!