iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing for Grade With a Swinger

Started by Fla._Deadheader, November 23, 2004, 03:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like I will be getting into sawing grade lumber and cants with a Swinger (Peterson), in the very near future.

As a Swinger blade eats into a log, it appears that the boards will become more Q'sawn than Flat sawn???

I completely missed the show at Moultrie, so, now that I am nearly committed, How about some "on-line" sawing lessons from you Swinger guys ???

Any experienced sawyers of "Tropical" hardwoods???  How are the BIG logs sawn for grade on a Swinger ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ianab

Hi Harold

With the swinger you can decide whether to q-saw or flat saw as you go. First stage is to open up the log, remove the top slab basically. Then you can make 1 inch vertical drops and cut flat sawn boards, OR make a 6 or 8" vertical drop and 1 inch horizontal. This will give mostly q-sawn boards. When you get 1/3 of the way down the log, reverse the orientation as rings are now vertical. Last 1/3 is then cut the same as the top 1/3 was. Some of the boards will be rift sawn, but most will be flat or q-sawn depending on your choice. You can even cut part of the log flat and part q-sawn if you want.

Remember you can cut a 1x8 or an 8x1.. or a 8x8, you decide before each cut.  :)

Hope that makes sense, it's much easier to understand when you see it happen / do it yourself.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Lan. That's kinda what I had figured. Just thought maybe someone had some different ideas.

Any thoughts about whether Teak would be best sawed Q'sawn, or Flat sawn ???  What about cants, center the Pith, or get the most beams per cant ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Gilman

I think I must of missed something...

When did you get a Swinger Deadheader?  I thought you had a home built bandsaw?

Maybe I'm just nuts... :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

DonE911

Fla._Deadheader

YEP.  Going down in January. Might just sell out and stay. ::)  Might say I'm lookin to outsource myself  ::) ::) :o ;D :D

Cost too much to ship Homey down there. ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

To bad homeys so far away. I'd volunteer to babysit. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DonE911

FDH

Hope you have a great time...   I'm gonna try to get up there to visit with you before you leave. Doing any milling any time soon?  I could be talked into tailing for a samich and a Ice tea.

Is Ed staying?  If so I'm sure he can keep homey busy. If not and you'd like to store homey until you know what you want to do, just give me a call...  you can store it at my place in Ft. Pierce...  I wont be there to start it up until summer, but you'll know where to find it if you need it and no chance of it being stolen and no storage fee

Arthur

You need to know what you need before you start milling.  Have a list of different sizes as you dont know whats inside and what you can actually recover.  The thing with swingers is that every cut can be a different size.

Remember that you can always cut large beams if you have the market so you need to keep this in mind as they normaly fetch the best money. 8)

beav

I hope you send lots o' pictures. We like pictures. :) :'(

C_Miller

One more question for the swinger guys.

Can you run a log deck under the swingblade to facilitate its use as a breakdown saw?  How high is to high?

FDH with a snorkle on the exhaust and intake you're not gonna try milling underwater are you? you thought about it didn't you?

C
CJM

Ianab

C_Miller

There's no real reason you couldn't mount a swingblade mill over some sort of log deck. Remember you have to walk beside the log each cut, either on the ground or on the deck itself, so that would have to be taken into account. But there's no reason the log can't be 2 feet off the ground on a deck. The only issue will be when the saw is up to high to operate comfortably I guess. Most of us use just use some form of wooden bunks becuse it's cheap, easy, portable and it works.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

C_Miller

You have to walk with the new automatic too?
 The deck could be filled in with expanded metal to form a walkway i guess.

I'm thinking that a swinger to open a log and then move on to the bandsaw for a resaw but I'm just thinking.  I do have to get  to see one work.
 Can You put a snorkel on them for FDH?

C
CJM

Ianab

You are right.. the ASM and the new semi-auto mill you stay in one place and the carriage travels by magic  ;) :D

The cutting cants with a swinger then resawing could work out good for high value wood where getting an extra board from each cant is worth the extra handling.

Dunno about the snorkel thing :D, but they do work good out in the jungle where FDH is headed next

Fla._Deadheader

Lan, I plan on squeezin every board outta the logs.

On the bottom slab, How thin would you let the slab get, before turning it over???  Say I want to get 1" X 6's from the bottom part. Saw down until I can just get a 6" thick cant, and then flip 180°, and flat saw the 1" X 6"s.

How about sliding a few bottom cants aside, and after getting, say, 4 cants, slide them back in position, side X side, with enough room between, so the blade saws 1 board from 1 cant going 1 way, and then move the blade over and saw 1 board from the next cant, going the other way. That would produce 1 board on each pass instead of 1 board for each round trip ???

How much chance of movement for a 6X cant, sliding on the bunks ???   Sure wish I could have made the Show. I wood have driven Chris NUTZ  ;D :D :D  Thanks for the info, Lan
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

You wouldn't have driven Chris nutz. All ya gotta do is watch the thing work for a few minutes, and you have no questions left.  The concept is just that simple.  I can't see any reason to break stuff down into cants with this type of saw. ???  You could place multiple cants on it the way you describe, but it would just slow you down. By the time you fiddle around with placing them, you'd have already finished sawing them in the usual swing-blade manner.

I still think a swinger could benefit from a good clamping system, though. It isn't an issue on a large heavy log, but they do get some movement when working with small stuff.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

I've been thinkin on a clamping system. Mostly, something very similar to the MD. Their's could use a little tweaking, but, it works very well.  I've been thinking about "end" dogs. Ya gotta walk around the mill to dog anyways, so, ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ianab

Hi Harold

If you were set up in a semi-permanant location there is no reason you couldn't build up a better log holding system with proper MD style clamps. Just make sure you keep any steel parts below the minimum height of the blade. If you saw into a wooden bunk it's no big deal, but the circle blade hitting a clamp wouldn't be a pretty sight  :o

As for sawing the last couple of boards out of the bottom slab. I hate throwing away that last board too ;). What I do is flip the slab to the side and load the next log and start sawing it. When the log is 1/2 sawed and has a nice wide flat that is perfectly aligned with the mill, pick up the slab and lay it upside down on top of the 1/2 sawed log. Then lift the mill 1 or 2" and take the top off the slab, drop back to original height and edge the slab. Then carry on with the log. I find that if I resaw the slabs on normal bunks they are hard to adjust. The bunks aren't usually exactly parrallel with the mill, to adjust for taper, and they can move sometimes. End up with a tapered board usually  ::)

If you have a log with a bad face put that on the bottom and leave the taper in the bottom slab. It may not be worth lifting back on and resawing. Just decide as you go.

Ian

Fla._Deadheader

Lan, Won't the slab placed on top of the cant, try to slide around any, from the forces of the blade ???

I was kinda figgerin, if I hit the metal VERY occasionally, the Tico's would not be in such a hurry to learn my job  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodbeard

Harold, I find resawing slabs on the peterson to be very problematic. For one, they don't always lay flat, and yes, they will move quite easily. It should be pretty easy to come up with some kinda doohickey to hold them down, though. If the slab is the same length as the log you are setting it on, something like this, forged iron maybe, pounded into the ends, out of the way of the blade path, might hold things together.

Good luck with your new endeavors, sounds fun!

woodbeard

Fla._Deadheader

By George, I think we got a winner with them BIG staples, George. Thanks 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

GareyD

The manual that came with the Mighty Mite sez...and I quote...

Recovering Slabs
Many operators recover the bottom slab by cutting down to about 10" - 12" from the bottom and removing it. After cutting the top slab off the next log, they place the bottom slab on top of the cut, nail it on the right side to the log opposite the blades, and saw the slab completely.

Now I ain't tried this yet...and when and if I do...I surely think that I'll paint them nails a real bright day-glow color!! ;)

GareyD
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

DanG

Well, I'm learning something here. :P :)  Had never thought of using the next log as a bed to finish off the last log.  Garey, if you leave a bit of the "standing slab" on the log you're using for a bed, you could shoot a couple of deck screws through it into the slab you're cleaning up.  You'll know where the screws are so you can avoid hitting them.

I'm gonna give this method a try. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Captain

Well now, Dan, just how do think I cut them big live edge table tops then??  I DonT have a slabber....

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!