iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing Permanent Haze From Ceramic Glass

Started by Hullspeed, November 18, 2016, 07:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hullspeed

Here's a video demonstrating the use of cerium oxide powder to remove heavy etch damage from a piece of wood-burning insert ceramic glass.  This is what you can do if the haze is more than just a simple layer of soot or ash on the glass.  If you skip trying to video record it, you can probably go a lot faster than I did.

https://youtu.be/fob94kf7eSs

peterpaul

Paper towels, 1 wet dipped in ashes and 1 dry to wipe the slurry off the glass works for me.  Easy takes me about 5 min. to do both sides.  Cleaned them this morning and they look like new just like in the photo below.

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

Ljohnsaw

I have a gas fired fireplace.  It gets some sort of soot build up, how I'd don't understand.  I guess my gas company is sending me dirty gas :D  It wouldn't clean up completely with just glass cleaner.  I used a straight blade razor and scraped it off with that.  The glass was not etched but I will keep this tucked away for the future.  I (will) have a wood stove in my cabin.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!