iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Chaps/Bibs suggestions

Started by Walt, November 18, 2016, 11:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt

I am asking for a set of Chainsaw chaps or bibs for Christmas. Anyone want to suggest a set or either, never have used these but I'm thinking the insurance/protection is well worth the cost. Thanks for any suggestions in advance, Regards Walt
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

Gearbox

I wear mine when I run the processer just to help keep my pants cleaner and keep some of the sawdust out of my pockets.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

pine

I like the Stihl 9 Ply full wrap.  Someone posted a year ago that they are no longer available in full wrap but I don't know if that is accurate.
I am a big fan of the full wrap but they are a lot warmer in the summer months.  Safety is not always comfortable however.
Also a fan of the 9 ply over the more common 6 ply chaps.

beauj5

I use the Labonville chaps (on my second pair thanks to an old, hidden nail).  From personal experience, they work as promised.
When the road forked, I went straight.

T540xp, 562xp, 034 super mag, 044, 460, 576, 056 super mag, ms460, 066, ms880, 090.

thecfarm

I use Labonville chaps. They are only 20 minutes from me. Really any chaps will do the job,as long as they are brought from a reputable company. I wear mine all the time. Sometimes it takes me longer to put them on,then I use the saw.  ;D  BUT you never know.I tell that to myself when that happens.
Comstock,sponsor on the left,sell Labonville chaps.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwade

as they say about carrying a fire arm. they are meant to be comforting not comfortable. i think you could say the same about saw chaps.

John Mc

One of the things to consider in addition to the manufacturer is the style of chaps. I prefer full-wrap chaps (which wrap fully around your calf) as they provide a significant increase in protection of the apron-style chaps (which do buckle around each leg, but only cover the front of your legs, and have been known to spin out of position when hit by a moving chain). The downside of full-wrap chaps is that they are hotter to wear.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Walt

I appreciate your time to respond to my questions. I have asked for a set of Labonville full wrap chaps. I hope I don't need these but the added sense of security is worth the bit of discomfort. regards Walt
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

John Mc

Not sure if they still do, but Labonville used make two different weights of chaps: regular and "competition" (or something like that).  Their regular style is the equal or better of just about any chap out there. The competiton style (if they still make them) was overkill: hot and bulkier.

A last note: Chaps are NOT sold by inseam length (like regular pants). They are measured from the belt line to the top of your foot (where the laces on a pair of low-cut sneakers would be). Labonville describes it as measuring from your waist/belt to your anklebone.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

RPF2509

I prefer the full wrap chaps as the partial wraps can catch the heel of you boot while walking.  There are enough things to trip on in the woods besides worrying about your chaps.  They are hotter though.

davewittwer

I wear the STIHL ProMark full wrap chaps.  I haven't tested mine, thank god but they are comfortable to wear.  I did loose the velcro pocket on the pront, might have to have that sewed back on.  Also, I'm 6'4" and they are to short for me.  I wish they made a tall version.  I sag mine down kind of like a thug to get more lower leg protection. 

DeerMeadowFarm

I use Labonville chaps myself, but I really like my Husqvarna chainsaw pants better. They are much more comfortable and they are better when I am getting on and off the tractor a lot.

John Mc

Quote from: davewittwer on December 08, 2016, 02:59:38 PM
I wear the STIHL ProMark full wrap chaps.  I haven't tested mine, thank god but they are comfortable to wear.  I did loose the velcro pocket on the pront, might have to have that sewed back on.  Also, I'm 6'4" and they are to short for me.  I wish they made a tall version.  I sag mine down kind of like a thug to get more lower leg protection.

Stihl doesn't make different lengths?  I know Husqvarna and Labonville do.

davewittwer

Quote from: John Mc on December 08, 2016, 03:35:25 PM
Quote from: davewittwer on December 08, 2016, 02:59:38 PM

Stihl doesn't make different lengths?  I know Husqvarna and Labonville do.

They do, just not long enough.....i've got long legs. 

JW IN VA

i got a pair of Labonville full wrap from Bailey's.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: davewittwer on December 08, 2016, 04:01:39 PM
They do, just not long enough.....i've got long legs.

I do too. Labonville will have some to fit ya!  smiley_thumbsup

Greyhound

For chaps, I think the Labonville full wraps are the best and best value.
I recently picked up some chainsaw pants on sale from TreeStuff.com  I like them too, but they are definitely warmer than chaps, so I can only use them in cooler temps.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Greyhound on January 04, 2017, 07:46:40 PM
I recently picked up some chainsaw pants on sale from TreeStuff.com  I like them too, but they are definitely warmer than chaps, so I can only use them in cooler temps.
And I find just the opposite. My Husky pants have side zippered ventilation and the material on the back side of the pants lets the breeze flow through; so much in fact that if I cut in the cold weather (as I like to do) it almost warrants wearing long-johns underneath.

John Mc

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on January 05, 2017, 08:21:50 AM
Quote from: Greyhound on January 04, 2017, 07:46:40 PM
And I find just the opposite. My Husky pants have side zippered ventilation and the material on the back side of the pants lets the breeze flow through; so much in fact that if I cut in the cold weather (as I like to do) it almost warrants wearing long-johns underneath.

Do you have the newer Husqvarna Technical Pants? They are certainly much better designed than their older styles, at leas as far as ventilation goes.

DeerMeadowFarm

John - I got these:
http://www.husqvarna.com/de/ersatzteile-zubehor/schutzbekleidung/schutzhose-functional-20a/582331746/
Although mine are an older model. The orange panels on those shown are black/grey on mine.

My parent company is in Germany and my 2nd level boss muled them over for me on one of his regular visits. His best friend from his childhood owns the Husqvarna store in his village!  8)

John Mc

Yes, those are the newer style (at least compared to what I have). I've heard great things  The older ones I have are dark blue, and look more like a regular pair of pants (though bulky). They were sold as "summer-weight" chainsaw pants, but they are more "spring and fall pants" in my opinion - too hot for use on a hot day (even by Vermont's standard for "hot".)

rick carpenter

I have the 36" Labonville apron chaps and I wear 32" inseam britches. I need suspenders though because I have no acetol (say it slowly).
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

Thank You Sponsors!