iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LED Lights on a Sawmill

Started by ChadH, November 17, 2016, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

BB,
I did find the right alternator on that site for the Kubota engine (V1505) on my mill http://www.fleetalternatorstarter.com/alternator_10285.aspx.aspx. It only costs $70 but this is getting to be more expensive than I was originally hoping to spend. I would need at least three lights about $40 each plus other miscellaneous switches and whatnot. Getting the existing alternator to work would be my first choice.

How do I attempt to do that? 
The only problem is that I am dumber than a bag of hammers when it comes to electricity. I understand anything mechanical, but the tiny little electrons have me on the ropes.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Kbeitz

With out using a battery you might be getting brite lights to very dim lights
running off only the  alternator
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bandmill Bandit

GD
Just guess here but I am going to suggest checking the rectifier bridge to see it is is in fact connected AND if it is then Check to see if there are diodes in it. As a rule a disabled external alternator will have that piece "missing". Some times the voltage regulator will be disabled.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bluejay27

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 25, 2016, 07:16:45 PM
GD
Just guess here but I am going to suggest checking the rectifier bridge to see it is is in fact connected AND if it is then Check to see if there are diodes in it. As a rule a disabled external alternator will have that piece "missing". Some times the voltage regulator will be disabled.   

Seeing as Wood-Mizer just leaves the alternator there as an idler, they have no reason to actively disable it. But you do need to run switched power to the correct spade terminal on the alternator. Just Google whatever pins are labeled on the alternator (B, IG, L, etc.). And as far as switched power goes, your primary alternator already has this wire, tap into it.

Also, there is no real issue with connecting the two alternators. A DC power system has no phase and so the two alternators cannot be out of phase or damage each other in the way AC generators can. In that case, the lagging generator is pulled along be the other generator, meaning it has to do all the work plus haul it's buddy around.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Kbeitz

Quote from: Bluejay27 on November 26, 2016, 01:03:25 PM
Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 25, 2016, 07:16:45 PM
GD

Seeing as Wood-Mizer just leaves the alternator there as an idler, they have no reason to actively disable it. But you do need to run switched power to the correct spade terminal on the alternator. Just Google whatever pins are labeled on the alternator (B, IG, L, etc.). And as far as switched power goes, your primary alternator already has this wire, tap into it.

Also, there is no real issue with connecting the two alternators. A DC power system has no phase and so the two alternators cannot be out of phase or damage each other in the way AC generators can. In that case, the lagging generator is pulled along be the other generator, meaning it has to do all the work plus haul it's buddy around.

Alternators is a 3 phase unit not DC.
1960s, automobiles used DC.
A diode bridge makes the alternators DC.
I would see less problems if the two was tied together
after the DC conversion.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

GDinMaine

Thank you for the additional advice.  I will not tie the small alternator into the system, unless I have a professional do it. As I said I am pretty much useless when it comes to electricity. I will try to research how to get the existing unit to produce juice.

Just as a test I connected a volt-meter to the alternator on my tractor. It starts to produce over 13 volts at  1100-1200 rpm. If I am not mistaken the engine on my mill runs faster than that at low idle. So. If I manage to get small alternator to work, I should have high enough voltage to run the lights nice and bright. At this point I doubt I will find time to fiddle with this before January.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

The sawmill engine idle should be set at ~1500 rpm so that the alternator will supply full voltage when the clutch is disengaged. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kenbees

so funny   I have a LT40 supper as well and just the other day  was talking about  hooking up lights to the Kubota Alternator ( witch is not  being used).  So  keep me in the loop..   I'm  in Maine as well small world
Lets make some saw dust

Bluejay27

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 26, 2016, 04:49:47 PM
Alternators is a 3 phase unit not DC.
1960s, automobiles used DC.
A diode bridge makes the alternators DC.
I would see less problems if the two was tied together
after the DC conversion.

The DC conversion occurs between the alternator windings and the positive post on the alternator, making that post a DC voltage source. You'd have to actively bypass the rectifier bridge to get AC voltage out of an alternator. As far as anyone unfamiliar with electrical systems is concerned, a 12v alternator like the ones present on a Wood-Mizer sawmill is a DC voltage source. Any talk of AC systems is fairly meaningless as there will always be a rectifier bridge converting the three induced AC voltages into a single DC voltage source. And if you connect the positive posts of two alternators, you are connecting them "after the DC conversion".
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Ianab

And, remember that we are talking LED lamps. The draw from a handful of LED floods will only be a couple of Amps. In the overall scheme of things, when you have a 100A alternator already, it's only a drop in the bucket.

If the existing system is so near the edge that it can't handle 2 or 3 more amps, then you have bigger problems
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bandmill Bandit

Running LED lights or any other lights WITHOUT a battery of some type in the circuit is recipe for early failure of the Lamps. The battery stabilizes the available voltage adn amperage within an acceptable and narrow range that give lamps a much more efficient operating voltage and temp.

I would just connect the engine alternator into the the mills electrical system and run with it. That is essentially what I have running on my mill with my little slave generator for the last 3 years and it has given NO problems of any kind.         
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

fishfighter

Some good LED spot lights that I used to get were boat deck lights. Them suckers would light up the back deck like day light and only drew around 3 amps per hour that were 12volt.

These are the people I was getting them from. Good people.

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/

MartyParsons

We are servicing this mill. Customer added some LED lights.

I thought this was some kind of decoration. Then I turned on the ignition switch.

Almost need sunglasses in the shop.

Other locations.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

barbender

That is slick Marty! That guy is thinking outside the box ;)
Too many irons in the fire

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

4x4American

Funny this should come up again as we were looking at it today.  We were thinking to just grab battery power from before the starter solenoid, and have a switch right there next to it.  I was trying to figure out where I should mount the lights for the most optimal placement.  I really like those you posted, Marty.  Good stinkin!
Boy, back in my day..

47sawdust

The strip lights on the mill pictured...anybody have a source?How are they attached?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

DDW_OR

Quote from: 47sawdust on December 08, 2016, 09:50:53 AM
The strip lights on the mill pictured...anybody have a source?How are they attached?
just search for "led 12v strip lights"
attachment is by screw, or glue, or double sided tape. the key is to dissipate the heat generated by the LED's

side note: i converted my desk swing arm magnifying lamp to LED. here is where i got the LED ring from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Bright-5730-SMD-LED-Panel-Circle-Annular-Ceiling-Light-Fixtures-Board-/151657510448?var=&hash=item0
"let the machines do the work"

MartyParsons

Hello,
  The owner is from Virginia. I asked him the same question about the source. He has a business and the guy just stopped in. He wanted him to try them.  I will see if I can get more info. The LED lights looked like they had a adhesive on the back. So they were just stuck on. The one on the mast was very very thin. Again I thought it was a sticker you could hardly feel it. I would think these lights would be very low amp draw.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

47sawdust

Global Industrial Sales has them.The brand name is Truckstar Led strip lights.They have a variety of the lengths.I ordered a 24''and a 48'' length to mount on my LT30.
The 24 was $23.00,the 48 was $37.00.They are no doubt cheaper elsewhere but I like the peace of mind buying from folks I know.The lights are adhesive backed as well as include clips and screws.
Marty thanks for your post,as always,we learn something new and useful.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Someone gave me a couple 5 meter rolls of the LED strip lights that look very much like the ones on the mill.  They came from ebay and were about $15 a roll.  Cheap.  These were 30 lumens per LED, so a 1 ft strip was about the same as 60 watt equivalent LED bulb from your local store, but only pull about 250 -300 ma.  They are adhesive backed and be cut to any length you want.  I've used some here and there and they make a pretty good and cheap solution for some odd situations.  I may even try using some in a 4 tube ceiling light instead of replacing the bad ballast.

There are a lot of different offerings, so you need to pay attention to things like color temperature and output to get what you want.  They also come in a weather proof version, which means there inside some tubing with the ends sealed.

HM126

Brad_bb

This LED light bar on my forklift mast is great!!!  Turns night into day! 

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

I like it, it gives plenty of light!   8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!