iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

La-Z-Boy moves out

Started by Ron Wenrich, November 23, 2004, 01:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

La-Z-Boy is shutting down their Lewisburg, PA plant which produces the Pennsylvania House line of furniture.  The state tried to negotiate a deal where the employees would be able to buy out the plant.  La-Z-Boy turned the offer down.  

http://www.dailyitem.com/archive/2004/1117/local/stories/05local.htm

The jobs are being shipped over to China.  In addition, another 250 jobs will be lost in NC and MS to ship their jobs overseas.

La-Z-Boy is now on my do-not-buy list.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Murf

Sad to hear, especially making the announcement at this time of year.

Question, if they used to make the Pennsylvania House line of furniture in Lewisburg, PA, and the manufacturing is moving to China, will they rename the line of furniture ?

I suggest they call it the "Ho-Lee Crap" line......

My 2 cents.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Tom

Yep!  That pretty well serves them the death knell on my shopping list too. :)

Bro. Noble

Thanks for that info. Ron.

We were trying to choose between three different living room sets,  one was a La-Z boy.  Now our choice will be EZier.

We as a country need to wake up fast------or else learn to speak Chineese :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom_in_Mo.

I wonder what this country is coming too!!
did you guys see on the news last night of the video game that is coming out: called JFK, where you take your shooting skills and try to shoot president Kennedy. It shows the car traveling its route just like it was on that day, and you are Oswalt in the window with the rifle shooting at Kennedy.  >:(

oops maybe should have started another topic,  I will not put any more ez boys on my list either

customsawyer

Here in Dublin we have had a couple of factories close and move to China. The interesting thing is that what we got to replace them is two distrubushin centers one for Best buy and another called Fred's its like a Dollar Genral. The main reason we got these two companies to open up here is that we are close enough to the ports in Savanna and Brunswick that they can truck those containers up here from China put it on there own trucks and ship it out to y'all. It makes me sick to drive down I-16 all you see is container trucks.
Sorry just doing a little venting on you poor folks.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

CHARLIE

I certainly don't have a problem boycotting those company's products that outsourced to China or India or anywhere else. That is all allowed in fair trade and competition. What makes me angry is the American people have been conditioned to expect poorer quality. We no longer expect something to work as well as it should or to last as long as it should. But hey, we know it'll break and we'll just buy another cause they ain't worth fixin'.

I go crosseyed when I shop because DanG near everything you pick up has CHINA written on it. Even books are printed in China!

So yes, I support buying products made in the U.S.A.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Swede

I wish I didn´t have to buy China scrap and don´t buy much. Just bearings and pillowblocks for low speed. Can´t get payed for others and they are good enough for most conveyors.

I NEVER buy ANYTHING from IKEA. They have killed too many small Swedish companies by taking their production to Asia after a while, and even stolen other companies ideas by making cheap copies. Have seen at TV about it and visited IKEA this year. Seems they use children to make a lot of their junk. Think they have no manufacture, they just buy cheap as possible.
I wouldn´t sleep at night with that ethics. I´m proud of working with production. On the other hand, I´m not the richest man in Sweden, but I have met him.........

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Erick

Our American boy

Joe smith woke at 6:00 am to his alarm clock (made in Pakistan). He showered dried with a towel (made in Indonesia) then shaved with his electric razor (made in Hong Kong). While his coffeepot (made in China) was perking, he put on a dress shirt (made in Sri lanka), designer jeans (made in Singapore) and tennis shoes (made in Korea). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (made in India) and washing his dishes (made in China) he put on his glass's (made in Germany), and sat down with his calculator (made in Hong Kong) to see witch bills he could afford to pay today. After setting his watch (made in Taiwan) and getting the traffic report from the radio (made in India) he got in his car (made in Japan) and set out to begin his day.
 At the end of yet another stressful and discouraging day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his pajamas (made in Okinawa) and sandals (made in brazil), poured himself a beer (made in Ireland) lit a cigar (made in Honduras) and sat down on his couch (made in Mexico) turned on his TV (made in Indonesia), and wondered why he can't seem to find a good paying job in
 ... ......America.........

Just thought I would share that with you all. Its sad that people cant see the spiral of self destruction we are traped in. People dont make as much money as they would like so they try to save a few dollars by buying the cheap forigen crap not realizing that they are taking food out of their own mouths. Untill people are willing to pay a few extra pennies to buy somthing that was made in this country their will continue to be layoffs and jobs sent over seas. If people dont look to buy american made products companys will continue to flood the markets with products built overseas. Bottom line is if people refuse to buy products made overseas the companys will have no choice but to bring those jobs back to american soil if they want to sell those products to americans. Sadly its gotten very hard to find products made in this country anymore you really have to look hard. Its almost impossible to find clothes and shoes made here. Carhart is one of the few american made clothes left and I think even they are makeing moves to go overseas. Its sad to see jobs lost (or should I say moved) for no good reason other than greed. Its not just the people in the factorys being laidoff that are afected, the suppliers that sold goods to those factorys and the truck drivers that delivered those goods. You can bet that none of those people that got laidoff are going to buy new cars or build a new house. so now the home builders cant sell the homes they build witch means they arent buying lumber witch means they wont need as many saw millers or  loggers to cut trees this year (thought I'd bring my rambling closer to home) you get the idea. It just makes me mad cause people always see stories like the lazy boy factory and say oh what a shame and then go on about their day like theirs nothing they can do about it or should do after all it dosnt really afect them anyway. Like Noble said we need to wake up fast or its only gonna get worse. Sorry for the long winded rambeling but this is one of my pet peavs. I hope that everyone who reads this thread thinks about what is said and the consequence of the their actions and the next time they go shopping, as my profile says, BUY AMERICAN IT MAY BE YOUR JOB YOU SAVE you may have to look a little harder or pay a little more but its well worth it in the end. DanG I think I got a whole page to myself sorry ::)

P.S. dont mean to allienate our friends here from other countrys I was just trying to get people here to wake up and smell the coffee (wich is columbian by the way) ;D :D
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

oldsaw

First off Erik, okay, I'll go for most of your stuff, but back off the Irish beer.  And Honduran or Dominican cigars are the best we will see in the states.  Not a cigar guy though.

The move to China (India, Pakistan, etc) is fueled by pressures from three different directions.  First off is the consumer's expectation to get something for nothing.  As a region (Canadians are just as guilty here) we are into consumption, and getting stuff that looks expensive, but wasn't.  The next is government regulation/taxes which make it awful hard to operate a business in North America.  If my boss were starting today, he probably wouldn't have started his own business...we had that conversation the other day.  Finally is liability.  Whether it be for product or employee, there is too much exposure from very minor things.  We are literally forcing much of this to happen.

One of the companies I work with is Canadian and has just moved more production overseas.  Most of their competitors have already done so, and they were facing a huge price differential.  They had just completed fighting a major legal battle over a bogus patent infringement suit (they won all 16 counts) but the fight cost them millions and 2 1/2 years of product development time (they were required to stop developing certain products during the suit).  They were kind of stuck.  They would have rather kept production in Canada, but had to make the hard choice.

I personally try to buy as much as I can from industrialized nations, and try to avoid buying Chinese when I can (it's getting harder).  I try to keep as much in the US as possible, but don't mind buying from Canada or Europe since they are on a level playing field with us.  So, I don't lose sleep about my German saw and car, which is parked next to an American car, or my Japanese TV , which is by my Danish speakers, my American built amp/pre-amp/turntable/phono stage, my British CD player, and Japanese DVD player.  My garage is filled with tools primarily made in industrialized nations, except for some "disposable" stuff that came from China.  Then again, that's getting harder too.  Most of my furniture is American made, except the dining room set, that my wife bought against my wishes.  

The scary thing is, that I'm doing a better job than most people.  Money speaks too loudly, and we live in a country to driven by consumption.  We as a whole would rather have more crap than a few good things.  I prefer a few good things.  Good things just make your life better.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

GF

Speaking of "what is this country coming to", I seen on our local news that a woman was ticketed for littering because she tossed a sunflower seed out, apparently the laws were changed to be more strict to include items such as this, ticket cost her $185.  Took it to court and judge said guilty for littering.

Guess they will not be able to throw anything at wedding now or feed ducks etc at public places.  

What concerns me is that as these larger manufacturers move out that tax revenue the US has lost in one way or another, and who will have to pick up the tab for tax loss?  Us once again.  

D._Frederick

The people had a choice this month on how they voted to keep companies from leaving the USA, most did not care if they have well paying jobs here or not.

OneWithWood

Don't look now, but while we are exporting good manufacturing jobs overseas we are about to condone importing cheap labor from Mexico to do jobs that Americans would do if the job paid a reasonable wage.  Many say the aliens do jobs Americans won't do.  That is not true.  Aliens do jobs that do not afford a wage American workers are willing or able to live with.  For the alien living in a communal environment on next to nothing the wage may be a step up.  For some employers it is more advantagous to hire aliens than to pay a living wage.  Dust off those spanish primers they may come in handy! :o :( >:(  
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

And now for my 2 cents. ::)

Just read in the paper that Wal-Mart WILL accept a Union shop at their stores in CHINA. They stated that, "if that's what we have to do, so be it". The Chinese Govt. implemented this.

Americans get minimum wage and part-time, with NO benefits.

Anybody thought about NOT shopping for 1 week???  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

GF

Fla_Deadheader
     Would be nice if people would just not purchase nothing for a week or two including fuel etc. Question really is when does it all stop or does it?

Fla._Deadheader

It's only going to stop, when the Americans have opened their eyes and had enough. ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

fstedy

>:( :o :( LAWYERS  :( :o >:( Polytians  >:( :o :( Enviorenmentilists  :( :o >:( Therin lies the problem the loudest voices are being heard. A  :( :o >:(Lawyer >:( :o :( will defend anything for a $$$$. A  :( :o >:(Polytician >:( :o :( will support special interest that contribute $$$$ and the  :( :o >:(Enviornmentilist >:( :o :( lobby cause unreasonable and $$$$ restrictions on business. IMO!!!
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

GF

Fla_Deadheader
    I think everyone is used to getting ripped off (worded in nice terms) all the time now that they have learned to accept it and go one.  

Take fuel prices for example: they raise the prices way up to $2.25 per gallon, then they drop it to $1.80 everyone is now happy because they dont have to pay the $2.25 and accept the $1.80.  >:(

Fla._Deadheader

Yup, we been sayin that for months. Now, Diesel is $2.25 and up. Mileage doesn't mean that much, once you get ripped at $2.25. >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Erick

oldsaw,

Sadly buying things made in the US is getting increasingly harder to do nowadays. All of my saws are from a german company and even the computer I'm talking to you on now was not made here. Sadly those markets (and many others) have already been driven to the point of extinction in the united states. Yes there are still US companys that make these things but in an effort to compeat with the overseas wage costs they have had to cut cost in things like enginering and production. Sadly these companys nolonger make a competitive product and are going bankrupt because of it. I'm not saying buy an inferior product just cause it says made in USA, just trying to get people to think about the the trends in manufactuing these days and understand how their decisions to buy affect it. It is a comsumer diven market and if people wont buy it then they cant sell it. I to enjoy an irish beer from time to time its good stuff but if you look you will find an american made beer that is every bit as good and is actually cheaper. Try the Avery brewing company in colorado I think thay have that Irish beer beat hands down. Not saying boycot all not made in the US just do your homework and all things being equal (price, quality) support the local economy. We will always have to buy things made in other countrys and I dont mind doing it as long as its (as you say) on a level playing feild.

oldsaw

That is that one thing that married people don't do, in a bottle.

Hands down my current favorite.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

D._Frederick

FRONT LINE on PBS told how WAL-Mart destroyed RUBBER-MATE products  and is now using Rubber-Mate equipment  sent to China to manufacture product in China.

I will not shop at WAL-MART!

Erick

Did you hear that? Sounds like Sam Walton just rolled in his grave.

Ron Wenrich

Here's the point I was trying to make.  La-Z-Boy wouldn't allow an employee buyout.  The state came up with the cash guarantees and La-Z-Boy just doesn't want the competition.

We have several companies that are employee run.  One is the frog and switch division of the now defunct Bethlehem Steel.  Why are they competitive?  Because they have gotten rid of that dead wood in management.  A new furniture company would be just as competitive.

All those manufacturing jobs that have gone oversees have not resulted in a loss of management jobs.  In fact, they just are getting fatter.  The differential between management and labor just keeps on getting wider.  

We have a furniture store that only sells goods from local woodworkers.  Their prices are a little more than other stores, but it is solid wood - mainly oak and cherry.  They do a really good business.  People do shop for quality, when its available.

I went to a local furniture store that was going out of business.  They had a nice table there that would have looked good in our entrance way.  I didn't recognize the wood and asked the salesman what it was.  He checked and said it was walnut (it wasn't).  Then I saw the Made in China sticker.  Went down and bought an oak piece at the above mentioned store.

I've always been opposed to Wal-Mart.  They don't treat anyone with very much respect.  They devistate towns that they locate in.  But, they are no cheaper than any other store.  Sure, you can find some values, but they just get you into the aisle where the higher priced and profit goods are at.  You just gotta shop smart.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

customsawyer

I can't remember where I saw this think it was on PBS but it said that our goverment paid GE 3.2 billion dollars last year to help them relocate production to china. Has anyone else heard of this?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Patty

One thing that we run into in the local area, is that the business' s aren't open when we need to buy stuff. They open at 8AM and close at  5PM, no weekend or holidays. I respect their need for a day off, but when I need to buy stuff is not when I'm at work, it is in the evenings and on weekends. Often times we are left with no choice but to drive the 30 miles to Walmart because they are the only store open.

I am not such a huge fan of Walmart or any of the box stores, but the reason they get so much business is because they give folks what they want. Otherwise they wouldn't stay profitable, and would have to close their doors. Instead of complaining about them, perhaps folks in retail should pay attention to the box stores and learn what makes them popular, and apply that knowledge to their own store.

Just my 2 pennies woth!  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!