iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Camp

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, November 15, 2016, 01:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm getting pumped up for deer camp this year. My brother Chris and I are the care takers and this year we will only have 8 hunters. We have had as many as 14. Every year I get excited about going out for deer and the camaraderie of the hunters in our little valley. My hopes are not up for many deer this year as in the last couple of years they have been in decline. The predators are up in numbers and until 5 years ago we really needed to have some logging and thinning done. Well our neighbors and we have had some logging done over the last 5 years and the woods are thickening up with a nice understory. Hunters are taking out bears, coyotes and bobcats so I'm betting our deer population will come back in the next few years.

Here's our little piece of heaven. No electricity,Cold running water, wood stove, gas lamps, stove and fridge. Love it.
During gun season we are alcohol free.

Show us your deer camps.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sawguy21

Love the footings :D We all need a get away like that, for me it's fishing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Czech_Made

Jeff

Here is ours. Just me and my sister now. My tag was good for only one deer in the UP this year so I was done hunting 10 minutes after daylight this morning. First opening day buck in 25 years. Little horns, decent deer.  I WILL EAT HIM! 8)

I am now my sister's hunting servant.  :D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Jeff, thats a big bodied deer compared to ours.  Congrats on opening day success. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sandsawmill14

Quote from: fishpharmer on November 15, 2016, 05:20:10 PM
Jeff, thats a big bodied deer compared to ours.  Congrats on opening day success.

yep around here if you got a buck that big the horns would have been big too as he would be 5-6 years old :)
i killed a 6 point a couple years back that had a 19" spread and weighed 197lbs field dressed which is huge around here the reason for his 6 point rack was his age and had already started to decline ( at least thats what they said)  the biggest one i have ever seen killed in this area weighed 204 field dressed :o  i also killed a 2 1/2 yo 10 pt that weighed about 120 lbs :-[  i know i needed kicked for killing that nice of young buck instead of letting him mature but i was in a thicket with him and a mature buck chasing does then fighting so i was shooting at him running through the thick and got mixed up on which one was which  :-[ ::) i still mounted him as he deserved it and gross measure was around 118 so a little under b&c score but still pretty impressive for his age
but we do have good bucks though my brother has one in the state record book 13 pt that official score was 154 and some/8  and a 130" eight point (both weighed about 150lbs) that are both mounted in his living room he has 4 deer head in his living room 2 or 3 ( i forget) in the bed room and 1 in the hall :o  :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

sorry i got off topic  ;D ::)  i dont have a deer camp or i may live in it all time  ??? one or the other :D :D :D i live in the woods and my nearest deer stand is about 90 yards from the house and the furthest one only about 11/2 miles from the house so some days i dont even get in the truck to go hunting just walk to the stand or blind and hunt ;D :)

btw nice deer jeff you cant eat the horns no way ;)

Jeff

Turns out I think I might have caught the buck I shot on camera yesterday. Not sure. Nice looking deer. I WILL EAT HIM. I think I said that. :D

thecfarm

Lots of land around my house to hunt.
Did someone mention a deer roast?  :D
I have not been seeing deer like I have in past years.Yes,this time of year I don't see many,but they are usally in the garden after the pumpkins. They just found the garden last week
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When ever there is a full moon, you best be hunting 10 am until 2 pm.
I see you got yours at 1:49.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

No, I got him at 7:10 am.  My camera got him at 12:49 the day before season. The time stamp was an hour off because I never changed it when daylight savings time.

coxy

ill be leaving Thursday to go to camp come home for thanksgiving din din then back to camp going to try it for 2 weeks then go back for the week of black powder that's my plan :-\   the wifey my not like it so ill be a little nicer to her for a few days   :)

Magicman

I will not be able to go to the Cabin until Friday to ready for Saturday's gun opener.

I'll sit in the ladder stand that has been my favorite opening morning stand for many years.

I opted to not shoot this buck on opening morning last year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

mm thats a nice buck  :) he should be a good'un this year if someone didnt beat you to him ;)
our rifle season opens sat too  :) this will be my 34th season and i hope the Good Lord gives me that many more :) ;)

Corley5

7:20AM.  Got to use my restricted 4+ point per side tag 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

We live at deer camp  ;) ;D

Czech_Made

Quote from: Corley5 on November 16, 2016, 10:33:33 AM

7:20AM.  Got to use my restricted 4+ point per side tag 8)

Nice buck!

coxy

looks like its got a split brow on the left side looking at the pic

Corley5

Dropped it at the processor after lunch.  Having the whole animal turned into summer sausage with cheddar cheese.

Magicman

Greg, is that a Browning A Bolt? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

Magicman

Makes sense.  I was comparing the picture with my A's and could not make it exactly match.  Nice deer.

We have a cold front coming through Friday night bringing NW winds which will probably mess up our Saturday opener.  The way my place lays, a NW wind is a spoiler.  NW is what Jeff and I dealt with during his entire time here last season.   :-\ 

Czech_Made

Quote from: Corley5 on November 16, 2016, 09:42:36 PM
X Bolt in 270 WSM  :)

How do you like the round?   I have Winchester 70 in 270WSM, love it,  but I started reloading because of that, the ammo is not that easy to find.

Corley5

I'm happy with the 270WSM with the right load.  The rifle was new last year and I bought a couple boxes of 130gr Winchester ballistic Silver Tips with it on recommendation from the guys at the gun counter.  I lost the first deer I've ever lost in my hunting career with one of those rounds.  The deer was quartering toward me when I shot.  A shot I've taken without issue in the past with other cartridges.  I knew I hit the deer.  The shot was good.  The rifle has a very good trigger and everything was right.  The deer took off on a dead run.  My youngest was with me and we waited a few minutes before checking things.  I expected blood and hair but found absolutely none.  We went home and got our dog.  She's good on a blood trail and she couldn't pick up anything.  There was no snow and then as it got dark it started to rain.  The area around the blind is a heavy cover of young hardwood regeneration with raspberry bushes and black berry  briars.  With no idea where to look and no evidence that I'd even hit the deer we gave up figuring I'd missed clean although I didn't believe it.  A couple mornings later I heard coyotes while in the blind and figured they were on the deer.  I walked out later and found what was left along a forwarder trail.  It made it 200 or so yards before expiring.  There wasn't enough left to determine what the bullet had or hadn't done.  I'd already put the gun away and went back to my tried and true AR-10 in .308.
  I researched rounds for the 270WSM and found that some users were having unsatisfactory results with ballistic tip bullets.  No blood trails, premature expansion, bullet fragmentation, no exit wound etc.  I bought a box of Federal Premium ammo with 150gr Nosler partition bullets and re sighted the rifle.  This year this deer went 30' and expired from a broadside lung shot.  That's my experience with a 270WSM.  I'm happy now but wasn't a year ago.

Magicman

You were absolutely correct to adopt the Federal Premium load.  A caliber packing that much punch needs a well designed bullet that will not fragment on impact.  The Nosler Partition is tried and true.  Of course, there are several others such as the Accubond, Trophy Bonded, etc.

I'll have the A Bolt .280 with "boring" Remington 140 gr. Core-Lokt with me Saturday (and for the rest of the season too).

sandsawmill14

i shoot the winchester power max 180 gr in 30-06 now but its because i couldnt get the 180 gr in the silvertips i have always shot :) the silvertips can be a little messy if you dont shoot em right but you can find him with the blood trail ;D i get alot of grief from the guys around here for shooting such a heavy bullet but at 300 yards they dont have a chance ;) i can barely see to shoot that far now anyway :-\  but anyway its my grandads old gun and 180 gr is what the scope was set for when i got so thats how i will keep it :) lots of good memories every time i go to the woods with it  :) :)
hope everyone has a safe and successful opener :)
seems like i remember a thread called "i took a tumble" or something close to  that so everyone hunting in elevated stands and blinds be careful and buckle up ;D :) :) :)

Czech_Made

I get the best results with the cheapest Hornady bullets -140 grain BTSP

150 SST work too, but I am a cheap a$$, if I can get it done with simple soft point bullet, I dont need no fancy plastic tip.

The rifle was a gift from my wife and kids, not my choice  - overkill for Virginia, really.  60 yards is the long shot in our woods. 

sandsawmill14

some guys love the ballastic tips but i dont care for them in the bushes where i hunt at least 3/4 of the time which is another reason i like the silvertips if you arent careful you will lose the entire shoulder on the exit side but you get a lot of blood and they dont go over 30-40 yards unless you mess up and that makes alot of difference when you are hunting in a 20 year old clearcut :)

Corley5

I used 120gr? Silvertips in my straight up 270 Win. for deer back when.  The tip they had appeared to be an aluminum alloy of sorts and they worked very will.  That's why I didn't think anything of getting Silvertips for the WSM but these are a "Ballistic Silvertip" described as a "rapid controlled expansion polymer tip" for deer and antelope.  I don't like these Silvertips  ;) ;D 
  I use Hornady SSTs in my 6.5 Grendel and 450 Bushmaster and they work very well.  I looked for Remington Cor Lokts for the WSM but couldn't find any.  I use them in my .308s and .223s.  They work very well.
  270 WSM is more than I need too.  I shoot 60 yards from the blind to the kill zone  ;) ;D

Ken

I've been going to my buddy's camp for the past 25 years or so.  I don't have any pictures but it is a beautiful spot with many of the amenities of home.  This year I showed up on a Thursday, put my slippers on and never left the camp until it was time to go home 3 days later.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Gearbox

I have a 270 WSM in a model 70 Winchester with federal power shock 130 grain I get 3260 through a cronny . It will hold a 1 inch group at 100 yards and has taken trophy s out to 300 . That's not deer trophy shelf trophy .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Corley5

We lost a couple days of hunting due to strong winds out of the south.  The shack faces north so it wasn't even worth it to go and would have just spooked the deer.  The last couple evenings we've been seeing does with fawns and yearling does.  Looks like a good crop of both.  It'll a be good season next year if the winter isn't too harsh.
  We've got a neighbor hunting almost on the line fence.  He must drive his four wheeler right up to his stand.  I first heard it start up when I was finishing dressing out the deer and have heard it fire up in the evening twice since then.  I never hear it come in though :-\  He must get there earlier than we do ;D  We're half a 40 from the line.  He doesn't own the land he's hunting on which is a 60 acre piece.  He owns a wooded 20 separated from the 60 by another wooded 20 owned by absentee landowners.  He'd be better off on his ground or at least farther from the property line.  There'd be no disturbance from us and we'd have none from him but he's an idiot.  Really he is.  A few years ago after grandpa passed away this guy was new to the neighborhood and he decided that everyone's property was his and no one was going to keep him out. He told other neighbors that.  He built a tree stand out of 2X4s spiked into a clump of basswood on our property and was running his four wheeler across the land to get to the side road.  He had a trail beat in pretty good when I discovered it.  I had words with his wife after following four wheeler tracks in the snow to his doorstep.  I didn't follow them but there were no other four wheelers in the section but his.  No tracks going in or out only the one parked in his yard and I know everyone else and they didn't own four wheelers.  I knew he was home but he wouldn't come to the door.  She's a foul mouthed little gal and gave a me a line of BS about having issues with four wheelers trespassing on their property  ::) ;) ;D  I never saw any more evidence of him on our place.  It was Grandma's then.  I did string some old barbed wire across his trails coming on to property and posted it.  I also informed my contacts in the DNR about what was going on.   
  He told the previous owners of the land he's hunting now that they needed to stay out of their own woods for their safety.  That was when the law got involved.  Sheriff deputies, conservation officers and state police were all called at times by neighbors on both sides of him.  He never got in trouble because no one put up game cameras to catch him as was suggested but he finally got the hint.
  I'm hoping Zach can still get a deer.  We've got a week left of season and muzzloader runs 12/2 thru 12/11 so there's time :)   

thecfarm

Maybe if he'd walk in,he might see a deer too. Stepson would come here and hunt. He would drive by my house and go into the wood yard,maybe 1000 feet behind the house. I told him,might want to walk down there,I've seen deer on the way down to the wood yard. Trucks are parked by the house now. I've seen deer close to the house. I don't hunt and don't bother them any. And they know that too.
Stepson,coming out of the woods saw a buck,if I would of turned around,I would of seen it too. But I was too busy running the sawmill. He would not take the shot anyways,he would of been shooting right at the house.
I had some trouble here with "hunters" when I first built the house. They told me that they hunted here their whole life. I told them,we have owned this land my whole life. I think that counts more than your hunting part.  ::) Hated to say it,but told them do whatever you want,I can call the game warden. I had the land posted in back of the house. I wanted all to know,we have a house here now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Eight deer tonight.  All does and fawns.  Some of the does were yearlings.  I'm pretty sure they are the same ones from last night.  They came from the same directions.  A group of six from the east and a doe and her fawn from the west.
  No four wheeler noises tonight  ;D

Jeff

This was our last night at deer camp. Lynda hunted hard for a week. Saw more deer this year than any before. At least 6 different bucks on the cameras in one night on the 18th and a couple really good ones.  First year for Lynda and I to hunt without Pete. I really missed him but I guess life goes on.

Magicman

I remember my feeling during the 1984-85 season which was my first year to hunt without my Brother.  Yes, life goes on but I still miss him.

WV Sawmiller

Jeff & Lynn,

I sent pictures of a coyote I shot today to several friends and my younger brother and wanted to include my older brother who died last month. Almost every day I see or do something and think "I need to call" then remember its too late. As you say - life goes on.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

This is probably the reason that my Son, Marty and I are so close.  Neither of us have a brother, but we have each other.  Yes, he is raising two Sons, so life goes on either with or without us.  Cherish the moments.

Bricklayer51

Took a heavy bodied 6 point yesterday evening sausage 2016.

ppine

I have never hunted from a "deer camp" but have hunted from a few ranch bunkhouses over the years.

In the West, we generally make our own camps and it is a different location most of the time.  it used to be easy to get tags from out of state so I used to meet up with my Dad and 2 brothers and we hunted in CO, WY, AZ, WA, NV, and ID.  Elk and deer mostly, but sometimes antelope.  There is something very memorable and hard to describe about being in the middle of nowhere in a wall tent with a wood stove and your close friends and family.  Being in camp has a special meaning and now I still set up the wall tent and the tipi in the backyard next to one million acres of BLM land. I have had winter tent parties for 35 years and roasted a lot of game meat in Dutch Ovens during that time.
Forester

petefrom bearswamp

Lots of season left here but got from 24 36 inches of snow over the past 2 days. too deep for this short legged old feller.
Adk camp got lots too, wont go back there until the last weekend of season
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Started out hunting with Josie (10 y/o granddaughter) in my old shooting house. She misfired on 2 deer. Figured out the problem with Josie's AR .308 (Feed [problem/operator error) later so I asked her if she wanted to go this afternoon. She wanted to wait till morning so I left about 1300 for my climbing stand where I shot the coyote yesterday.

On the way up the 4 wheeler trail a big doe followed by a nice buck ran out in front of me. I stopped and grabbed my loaded mag from my pocket. The doe stopped and the buck ran over and bred her. Did not take but a few seconds then the doe left and the buck stopped to catch his breath and caught a 150 grain soft point from my 30-06 instead. Stopped at the house and Becky and the girls came out to see the deer. It was a big 8 point that weighed 175 lbs live weight. Molly (4 y/o granddaughter) saw it and said "Wow, Grandpa finally killed one with horns!" (Kids can be so cruel - guess who is off Grandpa's Christmas list this year). Of course Becky could have corrected her but instead she just laughed and agreed (Yep - that's two off my list this season).

I got it cleaned about dark and hung it in the log barn to chill before cutting it up as it is supposed to be freezing outside tonight and it should stay just above freezing in the shed. I'll take Josie in the morning and see if she can kill a baby spike I have staked out at my newer shooting house,

Weighing the deer on set of spring scales I brought back from Saudi a long time ago. Pretty good view of my skinning/fish cleaning rack which works real well.

Josie and me with the deer.

Not the biggest deer in the world but his horns do extend past his ears which would have made him a legal buck even on our trophy management hunting reserves at a nearby park.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Nice buck, now you can make Josie your top priority.   :)

WV Sawmiller

Yes. I took her this morning and we had one nice young doe come out but Josie was not quick enough to find it in her scope and it got away. It would have been an easy kill for me. She needs to practice just taking her rifle and finding objects in the scope. Maybe take it home and follow the cats and birds around at home in her scope to get used to finding and tracking objects/animals.

One good thing I found my feeder I thought was stolen earlier this year. Now that the leaves are gone I spotted it way down the holler. Apparently the old rope broke on it. I had taken a new rope up to replace it when I found it missing. It appears intact and takes away my violated feeling. It did have a couple of teeth marks in it where a bear had bitten through one corner but I think that happened after it was down - I don't think he tore it down.
Howard Green

Corley5

Deer in our area are beginning to go nocturnal.  We're seeing deer but they are coming in right at dark or before daylight in the morning.
  I've heard through the grapevine that there was a neighbor dispute over trespassing ;) :)  It seems the four wheeler driver didn't have permission to hunt.  The property owner works long hours and doesn't hunt regularly and may not hunt at all but did the other day and found the ORV tracks leading to and from an old grind blind along with a pile of bait. He followed the tracks far enough to know who the offender was.  This is all coming from another neighbor who heard it from another who heard it from property owner  ;D :)

Weekend_Sawyer

I just got back from deer camp. I took an old doe I call chewy cause that's what she is.  :D

No big bucks this year but the neighbor took a 250 lb bear.

I still have a buck stamp so I'll probably go up to hunt the last day this Saturday.

coxy

we found out last night that the lease on our camp will not be renewed after the 2017 season  :( :( :( :(     it has been it one family for over 80 years and the lady that owns it now has cancer and her girls want nothing to do with it  so there going to put it up for sale      there is 450a and boarders 3400a of state land that no one hunts because its ten miles in from the nearest main road but only a hop from our camp    they will be trying to get 800,000 for the camp and land       the new camp was built in 1980 35x60 with a fire place in the middle and a wood stove on both ends    we have propane lights gravity feed water and indoor pluming  ;D      a 1 1/2a pond that we just put 100 brook trout in 12-14in long for the kids and 3 2a food plots so the next person/s that get it should be set up good       there are a lot of deed restrictions on the property so it cant be subdivided and only one more camp/house can be built on the land      there can never be electric as its 3.4 miles in    the neighbor had a sign off with the electric co and the camp owner about 60 years ago     from what I under stand that trade was to move the right of way in a few spots to make it easyer to get up the hill in spots       sorry for the long post just got rambling

thecfarm

coxy,that is too bad.
My stepson is a hunter. Getting hard to find land to hunt on. More and more are posted thier land. He lives on the edge of a city and a good piece of land went into house lots. Than the land owner posted their land.

WV Sawmiller

Coxy,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your camp. Is there any way your team can buy it from the owner?  They might be willing to make a better offer or terms to you than a stranger. You might have to open it up to some outsiders for a while to make it pay for itself till it is paid off?
Howard Green

coxy

we have a finance guy in the camp and we crunched number even at 400k with the upkeep and things it would be over 2k per person just for camp dues the taxes are 14k alone and most of us cant afford another payment book  the one guy has the money but hes 70  and don't know how long hes going to be around then if something happens to him where in the same boat  a few of us are trying to get the one neighbor that owns the one piece we  lease to buy it then we could get a 20 year lease that's what we have now on part of his land the other neighbor/club leases the other 2000a  there are 15 of us that lease it and we all get along so well its the only camp that I have been around that no one ever had any words let alone bad ones    last summer some emails got mixed up and we have 5 members that live the other side of philly pa and 3 from fl     well 2 familys from pa had the camp for 5 days then the one family from fl showed up thinking it was there week    long story short they all stayed together for the week no one   got upset

Weekend_Sawyer

Well, I didn't find a buck this weekend but It is great to just be there.
I let a couple of doe's walk. Our deer population is rebounding. 2 years ago we had one of the worst harvest's ever. Last year it was thin. This year we took 7 deer, 3 does and 4 bucks. All of them had plenty of fat in them. We had a very good acorn crop and lots of stump sprouts from the logging that has been going on for the last 5 years or so.

I'll go back up for the final antlerless season Dec 28 - 31. It's a great way to spend new years.

Jon

gspren

I spent a full week at our cabin in the PA mountains with my brother. Several others were there for a few days, some beginning of week and some at the end. For adults the bucks need 3 points on one side or better, junior hunters need a spike 3 inches or better. The only buck killed was a spike shot by a 12 year old girl on her first deer hunt and everyone was happy for her. I came home and walked out from the house and got a nice doe in our woods, had to drag her almost 25 feet to the atv cart. Good year, I don't want anymore trophies, I want meat.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

reprod

Quote from: ppine on November 22, 2016, 11:02:48 AM
I have never hunted from a "deer camp" but have hunted from a few ranch bunkhouses over the years.

In the West, we generally make our own camps and it is a different location most of the time.  it used to be easy to get tags from out of state so I used to meet up with my Dad and 2 brothers and we hunted in CO, WY, AZ, WA, NV, and ID.  Elk and deer mostly, but sometimes antelope.  There is something very memorable and hard to describe about being in the middle of nowhere in a wall tent with a wood stove and your close friends and family.  Being in camp has a special meaning and now I still set up the wall tent and the tipi in the backyard next to one million acres of BLM land. I have had winter tent parties for 35 years and roasted a lot of game meat in Dutch Ovens during that time.

I can relate to what you are saying.  Nothing beats a wall tent for hunting! Here is our "elk" camp this in your state of Nevada.  We were camped north of Elko.  I used the same setup for our deer camp in Oregon. 

ppine

Having a tent with a wood stove changes everything.  Then you can get warm at the end of the day and dry out your clothes and bedding.   People that have never been in a tent with a stove have a hard time believing how warm it is. We never tried to keep the stove going all night even when it is below zero.

I lived in a wall tent for up to a month at a time running tree planting crews. In northern Arizona we called my tent the Flagstaff Hilton. When it snowed everyone in camp wanted to come visit.

Pack trips take the concept to the next level. Then you can wake up in the best hunting country.  Plenty of critters get shot when someone goes out to take a leak.  "Being in elk camp" is still a sound that makes me really happy.

I got hired to wrangle horses for an elk outfitter in Colorado that I knew. We hired my brother as the cook. We rode in about 15 miles to a camp at 10,800 feet.  One of our clients downed a good 6 point. I went back to camp and got two mules to pack him out.  When we left I was the last one out, riding a big black mare and watching behind me in the downed timber. There was a black bear on the gut pile within less than a minute of leaving the kill site.  Elk camp indeed.
Forester

Czech_Made

^^^ Every hunter should live in tipi in winter for few days, imho.  Quite the experience.

Magicman

I have done my share of it all.  Camp cook for 7 hunters, hunted/guided from a lodge, base tent camp, base truck camper, pack in spike camp, horse pack out, backpack pack out.  I have many fond hunting memories in Wyoming and Colorado.

I have a possibility of making two more trips.  I have a 50% - 75% chance of drawing an Elk license next year.  If not then, surely the next.  Son will have the same possibility the following year. 

dlucas0304

Love seeing pictures of the deer camps and the deer. Seems like everywhere you go its always the same stories, and the same reasons for doing what we do. Camaraderie and tradition.

Here's our place, its far from rough so I won't tell you how bad I got it.  :D

I grew up hearing stories about it as a plywood shack with 15 guys piled inside.  These days it could be mistaken for a resort but we only get 5 or 6 guys to show up.  Funny how that works.

Just a land-owner looking to be my own forester.

Magicman

Very Nice.  That's my kind of roughing it.   8)

coxy

vary nice     had to look twice  to make shur it was the same cabin/house

newoodguy78

Coxy you're quicker than me I looked 3-4 times.

Very nice looking camp.

thecfarm

Nice looking house camp.  ;D

coxy

Quote from: newoodguy78 on December 15, 2016, 10:36:53 PM
Coxy you're quicker than me I looked 3-4 times.

Very nice looking camp.
looks a lot different in the summer than the fall still a great looking place   :)

coxy

Quote from: dlucas0304 on December 14, 2016, 02:47:38 PM
Love seeing pictures of the deer camps and the deer. Seems like everywhere you go its always the same stories, and the same reasons for doing what we do. Camaraderie and tradition.

Here's our place, its far from rough so I won't tell you how bad I got it.  :D

I grew up hearing stories about it as a plywood shack with 15 guys piled inside.  These days it could be mistaken for a resort but we only get 5 or 6 guys to show up.  Funny how that works.

can I reserve it for the 4th of July  :D :D

dlucas0304

Thanks guys.  We are certainly proud of it.

A little work every trip pays off after 30+ years.

Coxy, my wife and I will probably be there but if you like dogs and whiskey, stop on by.  8)

Just a land-owner looking to be my own forester.

coxy

just got a text from a member/good friend from the other camp I'm in there is 10 of them on there way to come and black powder hunt this week end cant believe it there was only 3 came up for the first week of rifle season guess the pic of the buck I got there got them excited  :D  don't think they under stand its already dead  :D :D :) ;D :laugh:

Thank You Sponsors!