iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone ever replaced the center bearings in a iron mule?

Started by logman81, November 15, 2016, 10:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Ive been thinking about tackling the center bearings and pins on my gafner mini skidder as there is some play. Has anyone done this before? I believe it is the same as the small forwarders that were built. I was told by someone that they are standard roller bearings inside?
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

RHP Logging

Buckin in the woods

logman81

RHP Logging

I guess you have to decide what to do before selling it. To split or not to split. Split it apart and hopefully you can read the numbers off the bearings. I split my Franklin last spring.  Otherwise take lots of measurements and the old bearings to a good bearing guy and they should be able to figure them out.
Buckin in the woods

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

logman81

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

UN Hooker

logman81
  Can you post a pic. of yer center pins? They may not be like a "Iron Mule".
  The Mule has a center trunion with a horizontal and vertical pin that rotate on  (two each) large needle bearings. The skidder may only have vertical pins, a upper and a lower, like most other skidders.

UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

logman81

No its a gafner skidder its exactly like the forwarders with a horizontal and vertical pivot trunion.

logman81

UN Hooker

Yes, I Do have experience with working on them.  I should update the thread
"Gave the mule a bath" to the point i'm at now in the restoration of it.

What would you like to know regarding changing the bearings?
       UN
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

logman81

Great id like to know how to go about changing them out and where to locate new ones if i dont sell it. Looks pretty simple but looks can be deceiving!

logman81

UN Hooker

Quote from: logman81 on November 24, 2016, 12:18:24 PM
Great id like to know how to go about changing them out and where to locate new ones if i dont sell it. Looks pretty simple but looks can be deceiving!
On the mule it was easy to separate the two parts. The skidder may be the same.
I would crib up the front solid and with the blade down then crib the back so it can be slid back about 2' or chain it with a loader or excavator so when you jack the vertical pin out you can swing it back. Remove the steering cylinder pins before you remove the vertical pin. Put a strap or chain thru the trunnion and take the weight off it and remove the horizontal pin. Now you should be able change the bearings and reverse the procedure and slide it back together.

I'll attach some pics. of the 2 piece bearings w/#s that fit my 5500 Mule.
If you measure the dia. of the head of pin and it's the same as mine, then the bearings more than likely are the same #s as mine; if different dia., then you'll have to take yours apart and measure yours.

This is two piece bearing and where I bought them on line.

These are the part #s.

This is the size of my old pin. Head dia. 4 i/4" and pin is 2.500".

UN

logman81

Thank you so much that is a big help to me if i or new owner tackle it.

logman81

Well looks as though no one wants to buy my skidder as is so looks like im shutting down for the winter and restoring it. Going to go through the whole thing including rebuilding the motor and re pining the steering cylinders and putting new center bearings  and what ever else i find. Not looking forward to it but im forced to do it.

logman81

Never tackled a project this deep so it should be a learning experience lol.

logman81

Well for anyone following this i got the skidder home and in the shop. Got a good project on my hands that is for sure. Ill be getting the motor overhauled as it is suffering from major blowby. Ill also be tackling the center bearings  and re pining the steering cylinders maybe replacing them to if need be. Also might pull the transfer case and replace the output seal that is weeping.

Neilo

BEEMERS

What model is your Mule?  Ive got a 4501 and I do intend to follow your thread.Hope to see lots of pics and any solutions to problems you encounter as I'm sure it will be a wealth of information for me.
Any idea if a wheel seal can be changed in these without separating the engine and trans out of this machine?
I'm being told its the only way.

logman81

Its the skidder version, i have no idea on what model it is. Im not sure about the wheel seal either. I haven't had to do anything this major to it for two years ive owned it. I dont believe i will have to remove the engine out to rebuild it. Looks as though there is plenty of room do it.

logman81

well started to take it apart and see what i have to fix. Already found a worn out sprocket, looks as though someone at some point made a sprocket out of plate and welded it to the output shaft going the winch. Oh the fun of old equipment but atlest i know i will be fixed the right way this time.

bushmechanic

Well logman81 looks like you have a great place to work on the Gafner for the winter. You know that you can actually buy sprockets that can be welded to a center hub, the hubs can be purchased with different hole sizes. Keep us posted on the progress!

bill m

Why the reinforcing plates on the center bearing section? Has this machine been broken in half before?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!