iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily BDFT records?

Started by ChadH, November 14, 2016, 06:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadH

Well although it's not a huge number to boast about, it is a nice one for me.

This past Friday I was able to cut just over 2000 bdft alone with no helper. I also have a dislocated rib, but that's a long story and funny but not for me lol. It was all 2x6 longest was 12' and shortest were 8'. And at $450 per 1000bdft I made $900 in just 7 hours. It was a great day to say the least!

What are some of your daily records?
Chad H
Westcoast Custom Timber

Wood-Mizer LT35 Hydraulic sawmill
Stihl 090 X2 in running order
Stihl 460 36" bar
Husqvarna 345 18" bar
Granberg Alaskan sawmill

ozarkgem

1k per day for me working alone. If I had some nice large straight pine I might do better. That is my dream sawing some day. if I can find some pine.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Percy

Quote from: ChadH on November 14, 2016, 06:41:29 PM

This past Friday I was able to cut just over 2000 bdft alone with no helper. I also have a dislocated rib, but that's a long story and funny but not for me lol. It was all 2x6 longest was 12' and shortest were 8'. And at $450 per 1000bdft I made $900 in just 7 hours. It was a great day to say the least!

With no dragback and no grunt helping you, thats a real good day!!

I have built alot of contraptions  to help me get production up...... and I have an edger and sawdust conveyors and yadda yadda, and some days I struggle to get a 1000 bdft...But Im 62 and I see you are 28......I cant remember 28.........hell, I cant remember yesterday :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

WV Sawmiller

Chad,

I think my best day was about 1700 bf in about 5 hours. I know I cut 2,000 bf in about an 8 hour day once. Both times was with a helper and we were cutting mostly 2X6's that were 12-16 feet long.

I'm no speed demon and I pretty religiously keep up with my bf totals. Looking at my total bf since I got the mill I see I am sawing about 136 bf/hr and that is engine hours not total hours with log loading and prep and such. I do not separate out how much of that was alone and how much was with a client provided helper. At least it is getting better as last year when I first got my mill I was averaging about 125 bf/hr. The 136 bf/hr includes this year and last years totals - I just haven't broken out this years as a stand alone figure yet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

Quote from: Percy on November 14, 2016, 08:51:32 PM
Quote from: ChadH on November 14, 2016, 06:41:29 PM

With no dragback and no grunt helping you, thats a real good day!!

I have built alot of contraptions  to help me get production up...... and I have an edger and sawdust conveyors and yadda yadda, and some days I struggle to get a 1000 bdft...But Im 62 and I see you are 28......I cant remember 28.........hell, I cant remember yesterday :D
Had to laugh on this one! What'd we have for dinner? Ha!
Chad, heck of a day, you bragging man? I would be too, 2890  so!o, 6 x 8 timbers with misc outside lumber, 8,10,&12' ERS
I remember cause it was my best day to record, 58 timbers.
Side note,  I was 47, and since have had two back surgeries and have to stop sawing.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

boscojmb

2MBF in one day, cutting short 2 x 6's is one heck of a day. More than I could ever cut by myself.

My best day ever was cutting 24' timbers. The customer had 300 acres logged and cherry picked the best spruce logs to make 12 x 12 timbers.
42 timbers, 12MBF in under 8 hours.
Too bad I was working per diem, instead of per MBF.

On a humble note, my worst day ever was under .1MBF, cutting survey stakes.

John B.

Log-Master LM4

ChadH

Well being new to milling less then 9 months I've had some not so productive days and this one. I usually have my dad helping me, however we have only managed 1800 per day as our highest, guess it's time to find help that doesn't need to stop every 20 mins and talk.... but I have really enjoyed spending that time with him. So I guess I'll keep him around a little longer.

I may be 28 but today I could barely walk.... and spent most of Saturday and Sunday hunched over in pain. Well Saturday we went and salvaged 6 oak trees and then headed back to the sawmill for 4 hours and did another 1000 before calling it day so Sunday I really didn't move much. Haha oh well. The wife thinks I'm crazy....

This customer keeps finding trees so our job keeps getting longer. But if the money keeps coming in I will stay there!

An LT35 although small and may have its limits, sure does crank out the lumber.

I will also add that my quality was maintaining good, this customer has almost checked every board to come off our mill. And has been very pleased so far. A bit nerve racking at times.

One thing I find that I enjoy so much about this business is the competitiveness I have against myself to see how much I can cut, and how smooth the day goes and at the end of the day feel proud of the work we have done and made a bit of money to boot. It's also time consuming but have also had some great social times with the people we have worked with and I think that's what makes it so fun and rewarding.

Thanks for the posts back on an other wise useless post from me
Chad H
Westcoast Custom Timber

Stihl 460 36" bar
Husqvarna 345 18" bar
Granberg Alaskan sawmill

Rougespear

It's good to see others with humble daily totals. I bet I average a 2-300 bf. But that is stacked and stickered.

I wonder if people consider the time taken for dealing with the lumber when calculating totals? For me, it's not done until it is stickered and covered... a pile of dead stacked lumber is just that... sitting out in the rain. Covered lumber is a finished product.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Rougespear on November 15, 2016, 12:03:02 AM
It's good to see others with humble daily totals. I bet I average a 2-300 bf. But that is stacked and stickered.

I wonder if people consider the time taken for dealing with the lumber when calculating totals? For me, it's not done until it is stickered and covered... a pile of dead stacked lumber is just that... sitting out in the rain. Covered lumber is a finished product.

+1

The only number that matters is the average per week/month/ year. And the show ain't over till the fat lady sings.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

ozarkgem

X2
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

drobertson

Oh yea there is plenty of humble pie to go around here! Lol
The topic header did ask daily record less I read it wrong.
I was sawing for an outfit that produced timbers for highway Dept's, I did have to sticker every thing, but they fed the logdeck and hualed off the slabs, I just sawed, so I reckon technically it wasnt solo, the real secret IMO is fewer steps! I had three with this set up from control to log to slab RAC and back. A triangle, very efficient, the time killer was getting the squares, this was six and bout six and eight if I remember right. Anyway no worries now cause doc says I am done! So I will remember the good times and read bout you alls now.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sixacresand

That would be a good day for me, working by myself, hauling off slabs and sawdust, building a pallet, removing sawdust form boards, spraying boron (hardwood), stack/sticking and covering.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Gearbox

If I could get $ 450 a thousand where I live . I would run that Detroit 12 hours a day . The circle mill will produce a thousand feet per day per man 8 hour day . More sawing 2 inch .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ChadH

Well let's also keep in mind that the customer is responsible for finish stacking and stickering. Which this is the first customer to actually do that while I cut. I will stack and sticker but only for more money.

When I'm at home cutting we cut sticker and stack so a lot of the time it's much slower. If cutting to order and the product is going out right away we don't sticker. That has only happened a few times tho.

Typically I have found that if your stickering it really doesn't take anymore time then just plain stacking (given you have the means to move the lift again) We stack and sticker right beside the mill, when the pile is large enough, we move it with the tractor with forks to an area out of the way.
Chad H
Westcoast Custom Timber

Stihl 460 36" bar
Husqvarna 345 18" bar
Granberg Alaskan sawmill

Magicman

This is my all time best while sawing alone, but I have no idea how many bf it was.  I was sawing my cut list for the Cabin Addition and there was no reason to scale it.  (I just got side tracked on the Cabin Addition link for 18 pages)

My Grandson and I spent a few hours stickering it the next day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ChadH

Nice job Magicman! I'd like to say an easy 3000 but I could be wrong either way
Chad H
Westcoast Custom Timber

Stihl 460 36" bar
Husqvarna 345 18" bar
Granberg Alaskan sawmill

Rob in NC

I think I had 300ft the other day..
2012 Lt 35 manual

jaygtree

i'm happy with a 200 ft day. by the time i've cleaned up the mill area and cut, split and piled the slabs in the wood shed i'm tired enuf. 
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

sandsawmill14

4200 bdft sawing 16' pine :o is the best day ever have sawn 2800-3000 bdft sawing hardwood rr ties several times ;D BUT you may have a couple of days maybe even a week or 2 where you make a 1000 bucks a day but it will always take it back ::) :D :D :D  yesterday we sawed about 220 bdft in 6 hrs :o >:( ::) oh well you win some and lose some :) my 2 yr average is around 14-1500 bdft per day :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Chuck White

The most I've ever sawn in a day was 2,760 board feet with 3 off-bearers/log handlers!

This was with all nice White Pine logs and an 8-hour day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

i should have said that my numbers where with 1 offbearer and wa250 komatsu wheel loader for log handling  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Gasawyer

Best day I have had was 4200bdft with the customer as helper, that was from can see to can't see cutting 1x12x14'. Now it was dead stacked because it had to be moved to another site. Best day stacked,stickered,banded,and loaded on trailer was 2000bdft. 1x8x16' poplar with two helpers. Generally most of my customer's want it dead stacked cause it has to be moved off the sawmill site. I have cut more bdft in a day but that was cutting some large beams didn't keep records of numbers was charging by the hour. We cut 10-15 a day best I can recall they were about 600bdft. a beam.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

opticsguy

Today I cut about 20BF.  A very nice relaxing day and the boards I cut are a for an upcoming project after the new year.
Did I mention a very nice relaxing day?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Bandmill Bandit

Best day with a very good helper and a great client;

Average log size was 14" small end and 12' long. No edging.

Cut list for the day included 3"X10"/12", 4"X6", 6"X6", 6"X8" and any 1"X6"/8" / edgable second cut 1 inch material. ALL lumber was sticker every other tier banded with 3 bands and then the loader man moved it to the staging for the truck loading process.

80 + % of the days cut from 3 wood mizers (my LT40HDG28 with most of the mods complete, one stanard LT40HDG28 and an LT70) and 2 circle saws, was on a Super B by 8 am the next day. The remaining 1 inch material went out on Fridays.     

No log in, lumber out, trash out removal cept sawdust shoveled to end of mill so loader operator could clear as required.

started at 5AM and shut the mill off at 10:40 PM Took 2 half hour coffee breaks and an hour for lunch. Mid May day with a very nice  SE east breeze and max temp did not go above 75 dgrees.

not quite 13 mill hours. Total hours just shy of 17.

6880 BF of timber Plus 1640BF of 1 inch material including (most of it) the stuff that went to the edger.

Started with a  double hard band that cut 2 logs the previous day and ended the day with the 4 th stellite that cut about 3 or 4 logs on mill when we shut down. So basicly 5 bands for the day.

Worst day, same job was just over 200BF due to an alternator failure.

This stitched picture was taken while we were eating a subway sandwich for supper the previous day.

I stitched it and when we looked at it we realized that the sawdust pile and the 6x8 pile needed to be swapped which we did when we shut down that day. The next day was the best day on the 3 month job. The day after was the worst.

Over all average on this job was 2016 BF per day.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

pinefeller

The otherday i sawed 1333bf in two days, mostly 17'' avg diameter pine logs 8'10'12' dead packed all the lumber in my dump, piled all the slabs and delivered it. on 3 bands (timberwolf) all 1'' boards 6,8,10,12'' wide. solo on a manual thomas mill.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Thank You Sponsors!