iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 230D

Started by Upnorth, November 14, 2016, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upnorth

Brought home a new lawn ornament this weekend. '79 230D, 353 Detroit, Eaton winch and axles. Been after it for a while now. Sort of like a barn find in the car world, it's had an easy life with little use and good maintenance. Should be just about perfect for turning diesel fuel into noise after new 23.1x26 tires are bolted on.

TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

shop guy

I can remember being a kid and going to the store with my paw paw. Instead of asking for candy I would ask for the heavy equipment trader. I would sit and flip through admiring ALL of the machines...just like this one.

What a beauty.

So you mind me asking what you payed??

Don't forget more pictures...back then the trader was only available in black and white. :)
2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

Upnorth

I can't say publicly what I paid shop guy...wife might find out lol but suffice to say I bought it before it hit the trader magazine. After new tires, i'll have more into in than its worth to others, but thats ok. I don't plan on getting rid of it.

TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

shop guy

Oh yah.... :)

That lower ram got a drip?   Just had to fix one on my 763.
2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

Mooseknuckle

Man thats a nice looking 230, i think I saw it on Kijiji recently up Thunder Bay way.  I was up that way in October in 15b for swamp donkeys....lots of sign but only saw 1. I think theres gonna be more cut backs in the tags once again as a week after I was back Toronto star had a story about the moose decline and referenced T Bay and Cochrane as the hardest hit. Wish I had my 230 up that way some of the trails were a tangled mess with brush due to the ice last winter. Have fun with that new TJ, Detroit Power!! 8)
Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

Upnorth

It was on kijiji briefly a few years ago then the owner decided to keep it until this week. I'd been after it for some time, finally got it. It needs front tires, but that should be sorted out by the weekend. 
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

OH logger

never saw a set up like that on the front end. how high will it lift?? not many skidders to find around theses parts :D
john

mf40diesel

Wow, that machine is as straight as can be. Truly cherry!
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

thecfarm

Just what I need to capture those rocks in the field. No more chasing them around trying to get them into the bucket.  ;D Sheet metal looks good. Might be hard to get that rig around in the woods like that,but it sure will come in handy too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gump

Congrats! Funny I took possession on my new to me TJ230D on Friday as well. Brought it right to the woodlot. Everything works great except brakes. I am super excited about mine as well which is an upgrade from a 207!  Good luck and happy logging!

Upnorth

Quote from: OH logger on November 14, 2016, 07:36:50 PM
never saw a set up like that on the front end. how high will it lift?? not many skidders to find around theses parts :D

They are actually quite common around here. The piler was a factory option. They will pile logs about 6-7' high. I've also seen many that had a homemade grapple on the front blade, which works good too, but without the piler option, they can't tilt and roll. The piler makes the machine more versatile to me, as I have a blade for it as well that I can grab with the piler. 
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Upnorth

Quote from: gump on November 15, 2016, 04:08:42 AM

Congrats! Funny I took possession on my new to me TJ230D on Friday as well. Brought it right to the woodlot. Everything works great except brakes. I am super excited about mine as well which is an upgrade from a 207!  Good luck and happy logging!

Yours looks really good to Gump. I think I seen that on kijiji a few weeks back, I recognize that blade. It should work really well being chained up like that. My 240E was unstoppable with bear paws on all four.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

David-L

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

gump

Thanks, the blade is 9 feet wide for snow. Remove 4 pins and it is off! No snow here this winter though!!! lol.

Mountain_d

Those are all nice looking machines. I took delivery of a new toy on Friday also. A 230E with Cummings 4BT and Eaton axels and winch. I have to fix the brakes also. My brake drum is missing and the seal for the brake shaft leaks. I saw an old post where someone had pics of a conversion to a small car rotor and calliper. I wonder which is best, fix up the original setup or do the conversion? Any thoughts?  I have not figured how to post pics to a reply so you will need to check my gallery to see my pictures. Good luck with your machines lads. Mountain D.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

62oliver

Really nice machine Upnorth, do you still have that 240 and did you get the eaton/herc winch swapped onto it?
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Upnorth

Quote from: 62oliver on November 16, 2016, 06:54:18 AM
Really nice machine Upnorth, do you still have that 240 and did you get the eaton/herc winch swapped onto it?

No, Unfortunately I sold it. I regretted that as soon as the truck arrived that day. But yes, I did convert the Gearmatic to an Eaton winch. Once I found the valves, it was quite easy. For what I'm doing, the 230 is perfect. The 240, and 350 were nice machines, but overkill for what I need for a firewood buggy.   
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Upnorth

Quote from: Mountain_d on November 15, 2016, 10:19:23 PM
Those are all nice looking machines. I took delivery of a new toy on Friday also. A 230E with Cummings 4BT and Eaton axels and winch. I have to fix the brakes also. My brake drum is missing and the seal for the brake shaft leaks. I saw an old post where someone had pics of a conversion to a small car rotor and calliper. I wonder which is best, fix up the original setup or do the conversion? Any thoughts?  I have not figured how to post pics to a reply so you will need to check my gallery to see my pictures. Good luck with your machines lads. Mountain D.

Looks good Mountain_d. I ran a 4BT in my 350, they are a nice stove. My neighbors are thrilled that I went back to a noisy Detroit lol

I suppose you'd have to look around for some brake parts first and consider what the simplest way would be to fix them. I've yet to have to mess with the brake systems so I'm not sure what you'd be getting into. Replacing the original parts though would likely be the quickest, they shouldn't be too hard to find. 
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Upnorth

23.1x26 tires have been swapped over from the donor machine. Should work good now. Just have to install the rear chains. 

TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

UN Hooker

Mountain_d

I don't know if the brakes on a T'Jack are the same as a T'Farmer or not, but I put a lot of disc conversions on TF'S. There not too hard to do, and well worth the effort. They stop and hold waaay better than the "best" drum brake ever did.
   I just finished doing one on a C5C transfer case. I used the rotor & caliper from a 96 VW Jetter.  A couple pic's.

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

coxy

nice job I did almost the same thing on a pettibone 501 m goat but used a ford 1 ton cal and rotor got it all done and it would not fit down in the belly pan  >:( >:( >:( had to grind 11/2 off the rotor what a pain in the  but didn't matter how much weight or how steep it was it would stop don't under stand why they never put bigger brakes on some of these skidders

AlexHart

Does that front piler apparatus have enough oompf to really pick up big logs or do you still have to kind of push them into the pile just with a little more control?   

I've never seen anything like that before.   

Upnorth

Nice work on the brake conversion Mountain_d. That would be much simpler, and better than messing with old original brake parts .
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Upnorth

Quote from: AlexHart on November 24, 2016, 07:44:09 AM
Does that front piler apparatus have enough oompf to really pick up big logs or do you still have to kind of push them into the pile just with a little more control?   

I've never seen anything like that before.

Yes it works great. It will lift enough that the rear tires will lift off the ground. I've had several full length poplar trees in the piler at a time, with no trouble. I'm surprised they aren't more common,mint makes the skidder far more versatile, and allows it to pile logs up to about 7' high.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

tantoy

Quote from: UN Hooker on November 23, 2016, 11:12:43 PM
Mountain_d

I don't know if the brakes on a T'Jack are the same as a T'Farmer or not, but I put a lot of disc conversions on TF'S. There not too hard to do, and well worth the effort. They stop and hold waaay better than the "best" drum brake ever did.
   I just finished doing one on a C5C transfer case. I used the rotor & caliper from a 96 VW Jetter.  A couple pic's.

Nice , I would like to do that to my Garrett. Question, was the original drum brake hydraulic or mechanical?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Thank You Sponsors!