iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks, 2016

Started by Magicman, November 13, 2016, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

A Grandson got this buck this morning.

I had tractor work to do this afternoon and planned to go and sit this evening but the wind was wrong.  There is no need to let them smell you when you are not planning to shoot anyway.  I would like to sit tomorrow but again, it all depends upon the wind.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I went to sit and watch this afternoon.  The wind was out of the NE which is not good, but I gave it a try. 

Four does and this six point came out just before the wind changed and that was that.  I went ahead and climbed down knowing that I should not have gone anyway.  I was only taking pictures, but there is no need to let them smell you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

A Grandson shot a 10 point this evening.  Bad thing is that it ran and fell into the swollen creek but he has a buddy coming to help him drag it out.  They will have a long night but young folks are made for long nights.   :D

Magicman

He got it out of the creek and sent me a picture. 

Yup, that is a dandy!   :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Big antlers! Does he look kinda lean to you, or is it just because he's wet?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

He should be coming by here so I will get a look.  He is wet there and is lying in mud big time.  He was shot from the Wheel House and bailed off into the big creek behind it.  He said that the water was up to the new bridge.

gspren

I'd get wet for a buck like that.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

He was a small bodied buck, probably no more than 140-150 pounds.  Happy Grandson though.   :)

Magicman

Pat and I left 18 deer grazing in the Strawfield this evening, about ½ of which were bucks.  The largest buck that we saw was a smallish 8 point. 

There were several small fawns without their mothers, so they are on a 3 day hanky panky trip.

Magicman

Each day is different and today was no exception.  There were 13 deer in the Strawfield when I left this evening, 5 of which were spikes that we did not see yesterday.  Today there were only 2 mature does, so hanky panky is in full swing.

This flock of 11 are as regular as clockwork.  There is one old boss hen, so this must be her hatch.  There are at least 3 jakes with their beards sticking out about an inch.  Another large flock comes occasionally and then there are the 4 old big gobblers.   :o

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Sounds like your rut is at least 4-6 weeks later than ours up here which peaked around mid November. I remember seeing small fawns in S. Ala. in November and December while ours up here have already lost their spots by then. Our peak fawn birth months are May & June.

Our season ended Saturday. I brought in the feeders and stored them in the barn until  next season. I had a lot more turkeys this season than usual which is nice but they did not help me to attract the deer to my hunting areas.

Enjoy the remaining season you have and keep us posted on on any more late season successes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Thanks Peter, it is amazing what some moisture can do.

My Grandson brought me the antlers from my opening day kill, so I finally got to look at them.   17" inside spread and the longest G2 is 9".   The mass was lacking a bit, but he still was a good buck.

Yes, last week and this week covers our peak breeding time.  The does will start coming back to the fawns and we should start to see bucks roaming and looking for does again.   

Magicman

The 4 longbeards showed up today proving that you never know.  I had 13 deer in the Strawfield, but the 4 spikes from yesterday were not there.  The interesting thing was that a "shooter" 8 point showed up.  It was too late for a picture, but I still enjoyed watching him rubbing his antlers in an Oak limb and making a scrape.   :)

Magicman

The latest Magic Buck.    :)

sandhills

In more ways than one for a couple folks I bet!  Nice Jeff, now we need "the rest of the story" and more pics of course.

Ron Scott

Well done! Nice picture also.
~Ron

Jeff

Here is a comparison of my previously largest buck to my Magic Buck, shot in 1984.

My Magic Buck is in the spa today. :)

Jeff

coxy

looking good   my neighbor has the beetles so I'm spoiled  ;D

Jeff

Yea, the way I'm doing it is a bit of work.

Magicman

Some folks here will set it on a fire ant nest, and I'm told that it does not take long. 

Thank You Sponsors!