iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maxed out my Timberking 2200

Started by woodman58, November 13, 2016, 08:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

I had a mobile job to cut 2 large logs saturday. Customer had already agreed on a minimum price. I showed up and got out my measuring stick (international scale). The but log measured  36" wide by 39" tall by 8.5 ft.. I have never put a log that big on my mill. Timberking says it will cut a log 39" in diameter. I told him we would give it a try. I now know that they are not exaggerating. Got it to the mill with a tractor. Mill lifted it with no problems. Turning it was a problem, I had loaded it off center with the chain turner. It just wanted to pick it up, not turn it. I had to lower the stops almost all the way to move the log over as far as I could. Raised the head all the way and started my first cut. I made it almost to the end of the log and had to take a 3" nub off the log. The rest is history. Got some nice large live edge slabs and a book matched set 27" wide that the customer will make a 4.5' by 8' table top. Got lots of 1/4 sawn lumber. The mill performed perfect. We got the second log on the mill. It was miss shaped and could not get it positioned where it would fit between the guides. Had to remove it uncut. Customer was happy, I got payed. It took a total of 4 hours to cut that one log. But, the lumber was gorgeous

i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

kelLOGg

Sounds like a success story all the way around. 8)
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

Next time throw a hat on that board. Makes the hat look small!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dean herring

Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

woodman58

thecfarmer; The hat is a good idea. Thanks
dean herring;It was a white oak. Blown down in a storm in a opened field. The guy I was cutting for was raised here so, the tree was sentimental.  I was surprised it was not rotten. The roots were gone.
Timberking 2200

dean herring

We just brought home a white oak that fell close to my house. It was a in a tough place to get but we got it.
One log 30" by 15 ' long. Can't wait to cut it.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

ladylake

Why didn't you trim that 2nd log with a chain saw . Lots of BF in a big log and trimming with a chain saw doesn't take long.  Nice job on the first one.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

woodman58

Lady lake, we did not have a big enough chain saw. And we were running out of daylight.
Timberking 2200

shop guy

What are you charging per hour where your at? (If you don't mind me asking) :)
2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

woodman58

The price was $400 for the two logs. Only cut one but, the customer was so impressed with the lumber that he paid me in full.
Timberking 2200

killamplanes

The 2nd log in the picture in the background probably wouldn't have made much for lumber. Looks a little tuff when u widen the screen. Those upper log that have black holes for hearts and are ugly on the exterior, usually open up just as ugly on the inside. Here we call them pasturebred, meaning there usually big and cut bad. Atleast the 2nd log, you got a good one with the first. my 2c
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

shop guy

Awesome woodman!   Beautiful cuts... I would be tickled pink if I was your customer.

:)
2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

Thank You Sponsors!