iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bens mill- documentary filmed in 1982

Started by shop guy, November 12, 2016, 09:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shop guy

I don't know if this has been posted but it's one of my favorites.

Here is a link to a free hour long documentary of his woodworking.

Rip Mr. Thresher

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,187

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

4x4American

Thanks for sharing, fell asleep last night watching this.
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

That was a good video... sure wish I had his shop...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

I was fascinated with the building of the water trough. What kind of wood did he use?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ox

I remember seeing this years ago.  I watched the whole thing through again.  One of my favorites.  Lineshaft driven equipment has always fascinated me.  Thanks for bringing it up.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

47sawdust

Ben's mill is still open to the public.My wife and I visited the mill 11 years ago.The local historical society maintains it and holds open house summer through early fall.Definitely a place of interest and worth the visit.It is located in Barnet or West Barnet,Vt.Ben was quite a rascal as well as being very talented.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

4x4American

Quote from: 47sawdust on November 13, 2016, 12:47:56 PM
Ben's mill is still open to the public.My wife and I visited the mill 11 years ago.The local historical society maintains it and holds open house summer through early fall.Definitely a place of interest and worth the visit.It is located in Barnet or West Barnet,Vt.Ben was quite a rascal as well as being very talented.

Good to know.  I'll be visiting there some day, that's for sure
Boy, back in my day..

shop guy

The wood is white pine.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the film. I just watched it again... love it!
2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

Jjoness4

Ben was one tough fellow.  What a craftsman.
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Bruno of NH

I have a book about the layout of his mill .
I need to look for it after watching this again.
He was a tough man for sure :)
No one repairs any thing any more they just get a new one:(
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

I was amazed when he told the guy a buck fifty, I know that was back in the eighties, but still, I thought he shoukd have charged at least ten bucks! 

Even one guy said, that he could have been a millionaire if he charged enough...the taxes must not be too bad up there in the NEK!
Boy, back in my day..

SineWave

I LOVE stuff like this...thanks for posting!

shop guy

Blessed!!

SineWave

Quote from: Ox on November 13, 2016, 11:21:49 AM
Lineshaft driven equipment has always fascinated me.

Me, too. My dad was plant engineer for a paper mill along the Delaware River in the 1950s-60s that had a water wheel that drove line shafts, and he told me how they used to have "grease monkeys" who would climb up to grease all these bearings on the overhead line shafts, and he said one guy got his clothing fouled in the shaft and no one found his body for a few hours...

Then there was the guy who fell into one of the "beaters" ... these huge vats that held water and the material they made paper from, with a vertical driven drum that had all these knives that sheared against a stationary "bed knife" ... I guess they didn't find too much left of him... this was before OSHA, I guess...

69bronco

Thanks for sharing!  I think there is a little write up on him in the tool barn at the Tunbridge fair grounds.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

sealark37

These days, the local shop would decline the fork modification because of potential liability. 

shop guy

Or charege you $50 plus/hr.

This series was actually filmed in the late 70s....produced in 82.

Ben was hit by a car crossing the street from his house heading to the mill and died a year later from his wounds.  He was unable to work after being hurt.

A flood wiped out the dam and there is not much left....

The epa turds are giving them tons of red tape now that they want to rebuild it.... imagine that!!

Blessed!!

tnaz

Quote from: shop guy on November 18, 2016, 02:26:05 PM
Or charege you $50 plus/hr.

This series was actually filmed in the late 70s....produced in 82.

Ben was hit by a car crossing the street from his house heading to the mill and died a year later from his wounds.  He was unable to work after being hurt.

A flood wiped out the dam and there is not much left....

The epa turds are giving them tons of red tape now that they want to rebuild it.... imagine that!!

That is a shame about the accident! :(

Hopefully the EPA will be changing soon!!!!

shop guy

Blessed!!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

47sawdust

The epa turds are giving them tons of red tape now that they want to rebuild it.... imagine that!

Without the epa you might have turds in your drinking water.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

tnaz

Quote from: 47sawdust on November 20, 2016, 08:55:28 AM

The epa turds are giving them tons of red tape now that they want to rebuild it.... imagine that!

Without the epa you might have turds in your drinking water.

I don't think rebuilding the mill will hurt your drinking water..  The EPA is way out of hand with their rules in
MY HUMBLE OPINION.

shop guy

Blessed!!

bedway

EPA, another over bloated, make work, out of control government department.

GAB

Having been to Ben's mill, 3 or 4 years ago, I enjoyed the film.
The day I was there, there was a wooden tub in the mill.
Now I know how they are made and assembled.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

b bradley boo1

rjwoelk

Very interesting love how they built that stuff .
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Dleavitt

That's a great story, I've heard of the mill but never seen any publication on it. The old ways of doing things are forgotten or short for this world so I love that people preserve some of it like this movie or "fox fire" series..... thanks for sharing I really appreciate it.

brianb88

That was really interesting. It's amazing to see how efficient he was. He made hard work look easy.
Measure twice, cut once

Thank You Sponsors!