iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of Hardwood Logs

Started by brysonfarmer, November 12, 2016, 07:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brysonfarmer

Can anyone tell me what hardwood logs are going for in Ontario Canada? I hear veneer logs are fetching some good money. I am going to cruise my 300 acre bush next week with a well recommended logger and do some select logging. Bush hasn't been touched...ever - white/red oak (30-50 inches), sugar maple (30 plus), ash and beech. As well, have some mighty big eastern white pine that are 40 plus inches. I am located in the Ottawa Valley close to Pembroke-Renfrew area. Thanks all.

Tarm

With that much land (300 acres) and that size of trees you might be sitting on a fortune. I would do a lot more than cruise the land with a logger. First what are your objectives? Long term forestry management or liquidation? Tapping the timber piggy bank or regenerating young trees to replace the old ones you have. After you have decided on an objective I would hire a forester for a cruise and appraisal. Get some sound forestry advice. You have a great opportunity before you, don't blow it.   

thecfarm

Those pine should bring you some good money. I had a lot that size. We had some that went over four feet. The mill we was selling to had high school kids peel them by hand. The debaker jaws would not open enough to debark them.They could get the bigs ones around the debarker.We chased all the big ones down. After they rebuilt the mill they could not get around the debaker. They called us up and said nothing over 42 inches. We said,we don't have anymore bigger than that.  ;)
My land grew some nice white pine,the hardwood does not get much over 1½ feet across. The beech did get some size to it,but 6 inches of rot is in the middle.
Might want to go to a CPA too. Spread the money out. And yes,Tarm is right on the money part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rjwoelk

2x what is said, you need to farm this with a forester, this is a long term investment.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

coxy

why don't we wait to see what the logger has for ideas and money wise     will it be one time cut or are you going to select cut it       there may not be to much young timber coming in if the trees are that big     and there will be damage to the younger trees and with trees that big you will have big holes

brysonfarmer

Thanks for the replies - long term forestry management is the goal! Not rape and pillage. The guy who is cruising the property with me is a long term logger in the area. Has offered to let me see his 150 acre bush he has been managing for 40 plus years (he is 60). I will update you guys once I fly back there (live in Calgary) tomorrow and access the situation. I am looking to retire here and it would be nice to make some money to start a new house which is my immediate need before retiring. The farm is 489 acres - have 150 or so I rent for crops.

ehp

First see if there is any tree cutting by-law in your area , Lots of townships in Ontario have by-laws . Next have the bush marked by a forester that is when known in your area and not one that mainly works for the mill , One problem you going to have is a place to sell the logs close , very few mills in that part of Ontario that still buy and big thing is PAY what the timber is worth

4x4American

Sounds like some nice sticks...pictures would help!
Boy, back in my day..

lshobie

Please check your in box - it sounds like I am near you. 

You can come see what I'm doing on my property and I have some info on local logging companys and mills.

Cheers.

Louie
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Thank You Sponsors!