iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western Sycamore

Started by Upper, November 11, 2016, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upper

I have some growing in a shady side of the hill (long straight trunks).Was thinking of bucking to 8 foot lengths and quarter sawing for flooring.Question is how much plump is needed for the after dry and twist?
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Bill Gaiche

I would say 5/4. That is some pretty stuff quarter sawn. bg

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Upper

Ok thanks,going in Tuesday to get a few....
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Den Socling

Do you mean in the shade of a hill or actually growing on the side of a hill?

Upper

By shade I mean in a tight little valley.Mid day full sun,and a little more morning to mid day sun that afternoon sun.They grew tall rather than wide. Here the Sycamores usually have only a shorter knarley main trunk,in full sun.
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Den Socling

I should have explained. I know Sycamore is a beast for twisting. I have never sawed a log in my life but I've read that trees on hillsides can have extra tension. That would make Sycamore extra hard to dry.

WDH

My experience is that the first several flatsawn boards off each face will warp, and warp really bad.  When Jake (Customsawyer) and I are quartersawing it, we just slab a bit heavy to avoid any flatsawn boards off the first cut because I always end up handling them 3 or 4 times, then eventually throwing them into the slab pile.  Does not even make good firewood.  You simply have to quartersaw it, and it takes a big log to get decently wide boards.  3" sycamore boards do not sell well for me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!