iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan Pro 20" problem tightening chain

Started by doktour, November 11, 2016, 04:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doktour

I purchased a reconditioned Poulan Pro 20" 50cc chainsaw and it arrived an hour ago.
I assembled it (bar and chain) and it seemed ok.

I cut for about 1/2 hour and stopped to tighten the chain. Since it was a brand new chain I knew it would stretch a little right off the bat.

Well I tightened it as far as the adjustment would go and the chain is still hanging off the bar. There is no more adjustment left on the screw, it is hitting the frame.

Since the saw and chain are both only a few hours old, I have to determine if this is just a bad chain or if the saw is so poorly designed that you can only get 1/2 hour out of a chain, in which case I will just return it. This is my first poulan pro (in the past I have had wildcat and Remington).

Does anyone have any experience with a poulan pro that would lead them to think that a new chain will fix my problem?

sawguy21

Somebody installed the wrong chain, it was likely near the adjustment limit. The quickest solution would be to have a local saw shop shorten it by one maybe two drive links.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CTYank

Source of the problem could be someone grabbing a 72 DL chain for it and tossing it in the box, instead of the 70 DL chain that fits its bar. I know something about this, having a PP5020 and spinning chains for it. 3/8 pitch, .050" ga. BTW. And I'm assuming it has an OEM bar.

I'd pull the chain and count the drive links. If there are 72, you can see if a local shop can take a few links out, or obtain a 70 DL chain. Of course, also make some noise to the vendor.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

That mismatch of chain driver counts happens more often than one would think .People have gotten used to the more common chain lengths such as Husqvarna and Stihl that use 72 drivers on a 20" loop but fail to realize some brands such as Poulan and McCulloch use 70 .

In my case often I grab the wrong one from my stash of chains hanging on nails in my garage .

Kbeitz

My stash of chains is now up to around 200 plus chains.
I gotta stop going to the junkyard.
When a chainsaw dies the owners don't take off the new chains.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

killamplanes

200 chains, I've heard of hoarding but 200.  :D :D :D :D :D :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: killamplanes on November 14, 2016, 09:08:36 PM
200 chains, I've heard of hoarding but 200.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just a few weeks ago I found about 50 harvester chains that looked like new.
I got 6 good 36" bars with them. Going to make a chop saw out of them.
Now if I could just find a good sprocket.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!