iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I thought hunting season was dangerous in our area

Started by slowzuki, November 22, 2004, 05:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Seen that on CNN this morning, pretty crazy, sychotic stuff.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

A nice 6 pointer desides to step out onto the road 150 feet from me this morning while on my walk. Just as unconcerned for his safety as could be. He's safe from me, but I know a few native hunters that would'a tripped him up real quick. The only buck I seen near home all year. :D

Yesterday morning I was surprised by 6 partridge in the ditch of the road and then a fox decides to leap out onto the road (20 feet away) in my path and scamper off as fast as them little black legs could carry her.

wouldn't ya know it, both times no camera. :-/

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Johnson

??? ??? ??? ??? ::) Life's pretty sad when this type of stuff happens it really makes you wonder what this world is coming to. :'(
Bill

sawguy21

A fine line between a gun nut and a nut with a gun. Fortunately, settling disputes this way is rare among hunters but is an increasingly popular sport with our local drug runners. As long as they keep it to themselves.
I recently saw where junior is dead and the old man is in jail after a dispute over how to cook the chicken for dinner.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

whitepe

I spent an hour on Saturday morning from about 8:30 AM
till 9:30 AM hauling deer out of the woods near my house
with my Deere compact utility tractor and loader.   One buck and one doe.  I was just helping out the local hunters.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

fstedy

:(  :-X >:( It appears that the people shot were just defending their property ( it was posted ) and this Vang started shooting. What is he doing hunting with an assualt rifle. Looks like he was a foreigner, they just do not understand common customs in this country ( you don't go on posted land and you do not use a hunters stand). Their culture believes we owe them everything. Our forefathers didn't get a free ride they and we have paid our dues by clean living and hard work. Just my opinion may GOD BLESS their Souls >:(  :-X :(
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Buzz-sawyer

An SkS rifle is no more an assault rifle than ANY winchester reminton 5 shot auto loader....thats all it is a perfectly fine 30 caliber auto loader..........
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

whitepe

I have several hunters who park along my driveway and
walk across a nearby corn/soybean field to get to their deer stands on property owned by owner A with owner A's permission. The deer stand is on land locked property.  They are not hunting on my land, just parking on it. The field is not mine. It is owned by owner B.    Owner B's son has chased hunter J off of the field owned by owner B with a hatchet just
because he walked across the field.  When hunter J got back in his pickup, owner B's son followed hunter J for about five miles right on his bumper.  
My point,  people tend to get real emotional about property
ownership etc.  When you have emotional people and there
are guns around,  sometimes bad things happen.  It is incidents like the one in Wisconsin that give the  99.44% of
hunters who are very responsible a bad name.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

slowzuki

I read some more about the incident and it is rumored he used to be part of the hunting club and was recently kicked out for some reason.  When they got to the area he was in their normal hunting area.

Aparently he chased some of them down after wounding them.  He got lost in the woods after he ran out of ammo and was helped out of the woods by another hunter.

A fellow on another msg board I'm on was hunting a little less than 10 miles away when this happened.

Timber_Framer

:(Accidents are one thing, acts of stupidity anotehr but this goes beyond anything I've heard of in the woods. I just feal very sad for lose that the victems families are fealing.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

CHARLIE

From what I hear, the SKS is a good hunting rifle to use in the brush. It's semi-automatic and not illegal. Shooting a person with it however is.

This Vang guy happens to be of Hmong nationality. There are quite a few Hmong living in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. However, Vang has been here for over 20 years and speaks fluent English.  One news agency said he was educated (not sure how much) and is a U.S. Citizen. What happened didn't have anything to do with nationality, it had to do with temper and doing some stupid things. It's reallly sad because there is no punishment known to man to equal the lives of five innocent people. The whole thing is really sad.    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Woodcarver

I think you are exactly right about temper being the cause of the incident, Charlie. If what I read is correct, Vang has a criminal history of trespass and assault.

He sounds like a sociopath.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

MULE_MAN

My Grandson is 8 years old and kill his first Deer 3 weeks ago with a SKS the
rifle is light weight & short enought for him to use. My Son in law. Loaded
the rifle and put it on safety when they got to the Deer stand and handed
it to his son and told him not to take the safety off , well after about a hour
a spike buck came out, And my Son in law ask him if he could get the deer
in the scope , he say yes, He told him to shoot. My grandson say I can't Dad the
safety is on !!  He told him he could take it off !! I though that was funny.
He did get the Deer, But he also did what his Dad told him to do !!
There's nothing wrong with a SKS .  As with any gun, It's the person
behind the gun !

So now I have to listen to his story how he got his deer with one shot &
his Dad had to shoot his deer  twice !!!  My son in law looked  at his son
and told him he talks too much !!  Well I got a kick out of that !!   :D :D 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

fstedy

:o :o :o My mistake on the SKS being an assualt rifle. :o :o :o  Sounded like one of them Russian or Chineese rifles. The 20 shot magazine doesn't sound to sporting though. Not that familiar with rifles for deer hunting.  NJ is a shotgun only state with a max of 3 rounds.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Bibbyman

There is a limit here in Missouri too.   It was 10 rounds but I think they may have reduced that.

I hunt mostly with antique single shot rifles.   But my meet gun is a Marlin 1895 lever gun in 45/70.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Buzz-sawyer

A sks is a Russian design, often made in communist countries, it was the predacessor to the AK-47.
The Kalishnakov designed rifles are good at doin what rifles do, propelling a projectile at a good clip.  :o ;)

Ak-47 is a fine hunting rifle...no different than any other ASSAULT RIFLE  including the .M-16
Which is used by a lot of varmint hunters.
The ONLY difference with AK and m-16 is  a large capacity clip can be inserted in them allowing for less re load time intervals.

ALL guns are GOOD only SOME people are BAD :o :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Haytrader

Here is a pic of one of my SKS's. This one came from the Cambodian jungle as a war trophy. It is Chineese made.
The Russian SKS's have a longer stock.
In recent years they have flooded the market with them and they could be purchased for around $125. Now (since they have been associated with assualt rifles) the price is around $225.

Here is the shell it shoots.

It is by a 20 guage for comparison.

Haytrader

Buzz-sawyer

Real nice haytrader! :)
Nice trophy....I got mad  >:(a few years ago when soldiers where forbidden to bring home trophies do to generals bringing back many hundreds of rifles from grenada.........
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Murf

Never could understand the logic of banning some types of guns.

Unless you believe there is varying degrees of dead it just doesn't make sense.

Besides until the ban the makings for pipe bombs and ANFO it still wont really make any difference anyways.

A nut-bar is a nut-bar, period. Look what Ted Kazinski did with little more than some help from the good ole' post office.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

sawhead

The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

Furby

Timber_Framer

However in this case one side can no longer be told :-[
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Corley5

Vang oughta be hung from that very tree stand >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Sadly, looks like we were near-witness to the same type thing, yesterday. We were headed home from the camp. We were traveling through a wooded area, and Deer season is on.

We rounded a bend, and saw a Police car parked just off the road, in a dirt road. It had a Yellow Caution tape strung from it to a tree close by. One door on the Police car was open, with the tape tied to it. There was a White pick-up parked just in from the Police car. ALL doors were open.

On the ground was a body, covered with a sheet. It was nearly ALL red stained. The body WAS wearing boots, but, no sign of anyone around the area. Not sure where the lawman was ???   Kind of spooky to see the cover and no live people ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Buzz-sawyer

I looked for more info in your news papers but got goose egg...any update?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Nope. It would be in a newspaper in Palatka. That's in Putnam County. It's 180 miles from where we live  ::) ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Update::  Suicide. Guy was very depressed. Lost his uninsured boat in the Hurricane. Had Alzheimers settin in. Some other things, also. :( :( :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

FDH,

Glad you wazn't cruiz'n by there when that guy was in the mood...  some of our suicides take others with them for no reason at all.  

Timber_Framer

Suicide :-/ has to be the ultimate selfish act. I've had to start from ground zero three different times, never comptemplated it, I don't understand giving up I guess.

Buzz-sawyer

Timber Framer
I just think some folks have a weak outer wall, once it caves in they panic as the onslaught of troubles seemingly rush in and over take them.........(ibelieve it is NEVER as bad as it seems)

One thing I HAVE learned when it got really ugly in life, was when I felt God nudge me and say, "Tommorow the sun will shine, youll have another chance, and things WILL get better" :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Timber_Framer

I think my love for my family always kept the concept from my mind no matter how hard things got.
I mean some of the worst times I had already hurt or worried those I cared about enough that adding that burden was inconceivable.

slowzuki

I'm certainly not pro suicide as I love living but watching my grandfather die from alzhiemers and the effects on my grandmother and father...  It is a brain wasting disease, my grandfather was dead long before he died.
Ken

redpowerd

God decides how we go, its not really our lives to take. i sometimes wonder if my friend getting killed was an act of suicide, its a real scary thought.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

slowzuki

My grandfather would have never have lived naturally to the age where alzheimers took him.  Triple bypass surguries and hundreds of dollars of drugs a month bought him extra years from when nature called.

In the end he was put in a special care home.  It was so stressful he died of a heart attack a couple of days after he went in.  It was hard, he didn't know his name, who his wife was, his children, anything.  For 4 years he sat in a frustrated fog all day under medication so he didn't get violent.

Ya wonder how much we are actually meant to tamper with the naturally aging process.

EZ

The neighbor put one in his head a few years ago. Young guy, nice guy, did a few drugs and alot of drinken. Did'nt know God, I guess, still kinda bothers me cause we did'nt have any idea he would have done this. Kinda scary cause the girls use to walk threw part of his land to get on the school bus. Thank God he did'nt try anything with them.
EZ

Corley5

My brother in law hung himself 2 years ago this coming August.  If the little b#!^*$% was still alive I'd choke the life oughta him myself for what he is still putting his siblings, parents, wife and children through.  Suicide is in my opinion the most selfish act that a person can do.  He'd been on anti-dpressants too but quit taking them because he didn't like being "so happy"  There are other circumstances involved in this whole situation one involves the pastor of the church that the family attends.  I hold him as responsible as anyone in this matter.  Michael should have had medical care not spiritual care but the clergyman chose to "play god" >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  O.K. that's enough this is still a pretty sore subject with me.  Mike was a friend, we got along good but the real affect on me was dealing the grief of my wife and her family.  Christmas is still and I'm afraid always will be hard for them.  Coming home from their place Christmas Day I didn't even think about it and took the shortcut by the cemetery where he's buried.  Big mistake on my part.  Dee was a basket case the rest of the evening :( :'(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

One of my friends and co-workers killed himself  12 years ago. During that week, someone at the mill said it sure takes some guts to point a rifle under your chin and pull the trigger. I went off on him. What bob did was cowardly, it takes zero guts. What takes guts is facing your problems and troubles. What takes the most guts is to live.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MULE_MAN

I agree with  that Statement a 100% Jeff !!  Shooting yourself is the easy way
out.  Facing your problems & not giving up take guts !!!  Allot of prayer doesn't
hurt either !!!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Murf

Yup, it's the coward's way out fer sure.

A real good friend of the family when I was a kid, a real nice likeable fella, a drunk through & through mind ya', but a good guy did himself in when I was about 12 years old. He had 2 girls my age that I went to school with. He worked for the Province and the boss had apparently given him one last chance to dry out. He did good for a couple months and then fell off the wagon, hard. He figured rather than get fired and all he would just do himself in.

His two daughters, 10 & 12 found him in the garage when they got home from school, he had put the hose off the vacuum over the exhaust pipe and into the car window.

They & the wife were devastated. The worst part was because he had killed himself the family got almost no insurance money at all. Suicide is not an accident so they don't pay.

Real nice way to leave the ones you love.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sawguy21

"All of you should be proud of us," he said, later adding that his sentencing was the "most happy day" of his life because he no longer needs to worry about mortgage payments, taxes and child support bills."
So he accepts no responsibility and sees the sentence as a ticket to a free ride? I have a real problem with this.

chet

I wonder if he would feel the same way if Wisconsin had the death sentence.   >:(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

They let that Harmolka or whatever her name was free, that's worst.  >:(

sawguy21

Swamp, I get really steamed thinking about that one.

Thank You Sponsors!