The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

MULE_MAN

Now that's a Big Ole Boar !!!! I'm going to guess it weighted
more then 500 pounds. What part of the country was this
critter shot  ???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Timber_Framer

That's Hogzilla!
He's a famous hog shot this year by a hunting guide over in Georgia somewhere.
He is reported to have weighed well over 1000lbs!!!!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Texas Ranger

Yep, that's him.  Supposedly, National Geographic is going to use the recovery of, and inspection of, his remains in an upcoming show.

Texas Ranger

Hey, Jeff, how long ya reckon it'd take to cook that sucker?

Timber_Framer

You can cook him till the second coming I ain't eatin any of that boar!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Texas Ranger

Watzamatta?  Ya don't like flavorful meat? 8)

Jeff

QuoteHey, Jeff, how long ya reckon it'd take to cook that sucker?

15 minutes if ya wack him up in bite size bits.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

They claim that  hog.was burried with a back hoe as that picture was being taken....so no evidence.....how do ya spell photo shop?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

I just watched a show on this on none other then National Geographics Explorer. It was decided to investigate the claims on this hog on weather it even existed, and how big it actually was. It showed them exhuming the burial sites (sites, because the head was buried at another, secret location)  As it turns out, there actually was a hogzilla, but not near as big as the claims, but still a monster. He was probably 8ft and 800 lbs. Then did DNA testing on him and found out that he was a wild boar hybred, some where anong his lines had been crossed with a hampshire domesticated hog. The Internet Photos, if altered, were altered minumally. They took a scale of the fellow pictured with the hog and transfered it to the hog to show that it was really around 8ft, far less then the claim of 12 feet and 1000 lbs. But still a freak of nature.

Pretty interesting story, and interesting how National Geographics got involved to investigate the internet legend of Hogzilla

Buzz-sawyer

facts .......stranger than fiction :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

THe show is running again on the N G channel RIGHT NOW.

Haytrader

I saw the show you are referring to last night myself.
I think they are making a big to do about nothing.

Yes, he was a big boy. And it was easy to tell he was at least part domesticated pig. But it doesn't surprise me he was that big. If you let any hog live a few years and it has a good food source,  he will get big.

I have seen several 'big pigs' over the years in the 500 # range. They may be a favorite boar and easy to handle so the farmer just didn't get rid of him. And, I think they get so big they are too heavy on the sow or just can't rear up to breed.

I have some pics I took of wild hogs near here. It is easy to see they are crossed with domesticated pigs as they are all colors. I rode with a ranch hand to feed cattle. When he ran the siren on the feed truck, not only did the cattle come running, so did the pigs. I will try to get some pics scanned and on here.
Haytrader

pigman

When I was in the raising pigs I usually kept the boars until they got too big. Several I sold weighed over 600lb.  I have heard of boars weighing over 1000lb. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

florida

I've killed too many wild hogs to count here in south Florida. The largest I've ever shot was a bar hog thatweighed 215 pounds and that was unusual. The largest wild boar I've ever seen on a scale weighed about 180.  Most weigh in the 160 to 175 range.  The largest wild hog I've ever seen at all was shot by a good buddy and weighed 276 on a scale. It was a bar and looked to be about a hundred years old. Down here making a living is tough on a hog and the boars spend so much time fighting and loving they can't gain weight. 

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Thank You Sponsors!