iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess the bark 2

Started by sprucebunny, November 09, 2016, 09:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

This is a close up of one 12" DBH tree in a foursome.

Care to guess the species ?

Tomorrow I'll post a picture of it's neighbor  :)

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Klunker

sprucebunny

Ox

I literally said out loud, "That's gotta be a beech of some sort".  Sprucebunny, I hate you.  You keep turning my world upside down!  :D ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Tamarack

sprucebunny

Yes ! Red Maple.

This group fascinates me. Two of the trees are ordinary looking and this one has very smooth bark for a large Red Maple. It's almost a foot in diam. up where the first picture is taken.

That's an 8x8 on the ground. All 3 maples are over a foot DBH

Tamarack

Red maple a tough tree to teach someone by bark.12" or so tree can be like in picture smooth and grey or the usual slightly furrowed but not as much as sugar maple or  like shagbark hickory with the peeling bark (not common around here mostly larger trees.)

hacknchop

The smooth bark red maple I have heard it referred to as moose maple  or soft maple , quite a bit of it in our area not much demand for it , everybody wants hard maple.  ::)  ??? Im just learning this imogy thing.
Often wrong never indoubt

sprucebunny

The way I understand it, Moose maple or moosewood usually refers to striped maple which is different from red.
Moosewood starts out smooth and stripey but usually has furrows in the bark by the time it's about 4" in diameter. It rarely gets over 5-6 " diam..
I don't know why they call it 'moosewood' because moose don't seem to eat it. If they can't find red maple, they would rather chew on balsam saplings.

Red maple is soft maple. There is ( or was ) a market for it for cheap furniture parts ( I think that was the use). I've got tons of it on my woodlot but I don't think it's even very good as firewood which is all my moose-chewed trees would by any good for.

I can see how red maple with smooth bark might be called 'moose maple' because they chew on it so often. And once the bark starts to have furrows, the moose don't chew on it.

Ox

I know horses love chewing on red maple.  Stupid horses killed all of mine in their stupid pasture years ago. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!