iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Still Chuggin

Started by Carson-saws, November 09, 2016, 09:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carson-saws

Have seen these at shows and such but this one was a full time operation.  Thought it was interesting incorporating the "old and the new" ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8nyrP8bclI
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice Video, thanks for sharing.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Kbeitz

That's the first sawmill I have seen that's powered with two tractors.
I love the cable support rigging.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

Those old circle mills do cut faster than my woodmizer. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Al_Smith

I think it was at the steam show in Findlay Ohio that I saw two steamers on a mill .It was a good show .I'm not certain if they still have that show any more .

To me I would think it would be rather difficult to set the ball governors up on both engines to run the same speed .

There's been a few accidents with steam over the years at shows .One some place in Ohio they managed to get the boiler tipped enough crossing a low spot to expose the crown sheet and it blew up ,killing a person . Steam is not to be taken lightly.There's a lot of power in that boiler .

azmtnman

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 09, 2016, 06:36:46 PM
That's the first sawmill I have seen that's powered with two tractors.
I love the cable support rigging.
My grandpa told me stories of running a mill with 2 smaller gas tractors. His dad had a bigger Farmall and it bit the dust so they tandemed Grandpa's Case VAC (he bought it new and my uncle still has it) and another tractor.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

bandmiller2

Steam is almost ideal mill power runs on scraps, will handle overloads, is quiet, and keeps you warm in the winter. Problem is almost any steam traction engine or portable boiler is pushing 100 years old and the moisture is not kind to steel boilers. As Al alluded to theirs nothing more vicious than high pressure steam. What was once common knowledge handling boilers is not so common today. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Old steamers aren't even high pressure .Seems to me about 175 PSI .

I would imagine most of them aren't even running that high at the shows .Keep in mind one steam HP is 34,500 BTU.

I think licensing of steam operating engineers  varies from state to state .In Ohio for example units of under 100 HP does not require a full time operator unless the laws have changed giving rise to the infamous "Ohio " specials for stationary  boilers which are slightly under 100 HP used for heat .Installed in multiple units I don't think there is a limit on how many can be used .

Steamers fascinate me.Old steam tractors,locomotive engines etc .I know though there is much more to them than just shoveling coal into the boiler .They are not for the uneducated in how they run .Besides that they cost a kings ransom and require constant maintenance in order the be safe to operate .

Kbeitz

I have been into steam for around 30 years. The problem with steam is that
one drop of water expands 16,000 times when turned into steam.
When you jerk a steam tractor the water will flash off of the hot metal
that's not normally covered by water. This can be compounded by
low water in the system.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Its the old story how high is high. Usually low pressure steam is up to 15 lbs. that's what is used in home boilers and does not require license. In my state anything over 15 requires a license and inspection. For show purposes 15 lbs. will run engines you just will not be able to put much of a load on them. Sometimes at shows you will find a HP boiler with a 15 lb. relief valve. Some states have agricultural exemptions for boilers, Locally hog farmers are required to cook swill almost always done with steam. If your looking for smaller HP boilers laundries and Taylor shops have them. Later locomotives sometimes would run 350lbs steam, the navy's nuke stuff really runs some high pressure. Frank C.

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 10, 2016, 04:39:50 AM
I think it was at the steam show in Findlay Ohio that I saw two steamers on a mill .It was a good show .I'm not certain if they still have that show any more .

To me I would think it would be rather difficult to set the ball governors up on both engines to run the same speed .

There's been a few accidents with steam over the years at shows .One some place in Ohio they managed to get the boiler tipped enough crossing a low spot to expose the crown sheet and it blew up ,killing a person . Steam is not to be taken lightly.There's a lot of power in that boiler .

Al, they still have the steam show at the Hancock Co. fairgrounds in Findlay every year. It's always around the first full weekend in August and they still run a circle mill with a steam tractor.
I live just west of Findlay and usually go to the show every year.

Brent

Al_Smith

Findlay was the only place I ever saw them pull with steam tractors on a transfer sled .

My neighbor at that time had a 1919  Frick steamer around 30 HP .The machine never had a belt on the pulley as it was used only to make steam for a butcher shop .He and his father were very active in the Findlay organization and Portland Indiana .

I saw them once at Findlay have a John Deere 830 on a circle mill which did okay .Next on the power was a 50 HP Case steamer. While the  mill make the big Johnny grunt it never even got the steamer breathing hard .It did make the smoke roll a tad bit .

halfkeck

I've been running a steam traction engine for most of my 45 years here on earth and if the operator takes proper care they are no more dangerous than any other antique piece of equipment.  Ohio does now require operator training to run such at a show.  When I go there with our small steam engine I am considered to be an apprentice under the supervision of a licensed operator.  While metal thinning from age is a concern, what ultimately caused the tragedy in Medina Ohio was a lack of water.  The equipment was not in optimum shape to be showed for sure and it was compounded by the owner letting it get low on water, which led to the explosion. 

Sawing with a steam engine on a circle mill makes for a great show.  We just built a sawmill at our local antique tractor show that we power with my steam engine as well as a few others.  When you load up the saw and the engine starts talking it collects a crowd.  Think of all the millions of board feet that were sawn using the same methods.  My grandfather was a long time sawmill man and kept one operating in his back yard up until the day he passed.  I have pictures of him running a steam engine and sawmill in IL during the height of the great depression. 

Kbeitz

I'm happy to see others here into steam...
A few of my engines. This first picture is one that I made from junkyard junk.
Second picture is two engines that came out of the Scrantion Lace factory when it closed down.
Third engine I got from a guy that thought it was a water pump.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Percy

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 12, 2016, 11:53:12 AM
Second picture is two engines that came out of the Scrantion Lace factory when it closed down.

Nice work!!! smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup Is the main body an old air cylinder? Did it make useful power??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

halfkeck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk2sUNLPJ4o

Lot of video from one of our shows.  First engine on sawmill is ours.  We rotate them out through the duration of the show.  A lot of poplar logs finished by some big oak.  The guys offbearing got used to the light one inch stuff and were not thrilled when we started cranking out oak 2x6 and 2x8's

Kbeitz

Quote from: Percy on November 12, 2016, 12:13:09 PM

Nice work!!! smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup Is the main body an old air cylinder? Did it make useful power??

I have no idea of the Hp but with 15 jbs of steam would keep you from
trying to stop the flywheels with your hands. Yes it was a brass air cly
for the top.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Glenn Ohman

Thanks for sharing. Steam powered sawmilling is always fun to watch.

Here's a west coast outfit I want to visit some day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNAWpbUfw8&list=PL91D812D3A6AB9D8A&index=15

Glenn

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

I have had several steam engines and boilers and enjoyed working them. When their running so smooth and quiet you wonder why they were left behind, then when you have to crawl into the firebox to replace tubes and come out looking like a tar baby with your ears ringing you understand. Steam is a serious hobby. It is easier to find huge steam engines than small ones. Frank C.

shop guy

LOVE IT!!!!!

THANK YOU for sharing......

Was it just me or did the second cut drag in the middle hard on the pass and went slow yet the third cut went faster and didn't hang?

Is this mill lubed? Do you think he adjusted lubrication on the blade for the third cut?

Sorry I'm trying to learn...
2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

shop guy

This is absolutely AWESOME.

.....ONE DAY.

2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

shop guy

Quote from: Glenn Ohman on November 12, 2016, 05:39:25 PM
Thanks for sharing. Steam powered sawmilling is always fun to watch.

Here's a west coast oulisttfit I want to visit some day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNAWpbUfw8&list=PL91D812D3A6AB9D8A&index=15

Glenn

I want the guy in the blue's job....... hahaa

Blessed!!

Kbeitz

One of my yard decorations...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dean herring

Loved it could we see more
Are the double blades better than one big blade. If that's a dumb question I'm ok with that Im curious
Please send more videos
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!