iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggestion for rotten log project?

Started by ray299, November 09, 2016, 08:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray299

I got this log. It's not rotted all the way through but as you can see has a big hole in one end... it's 24" long and 12" diameter.... any suggestions on cool projects?

Dakota

Drill a 2" hole in it and put a cute little roof on it, and use it for a bird house.
Dave Rinker

Weekend_Sawyer

I have a maple just like that. Last weekend I was thinking the same thing. there must be something I can do with this.

... but I haven't come up with anything yet. Birdhouse is a good idea tho.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

69bronco

Put a crooked roof on it, cut out a little doorway and call it a gnome house. People love em for gardens.

red

Planter or tiny bird bath . Maybe cut slices and glue a mirror
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

LittleJohn

My wife would say "plant" something in it...

Not sure I need more areas to "plant" stuff

Farmerjw

Man I was just watching Roy Underhill last night and he was showing something near that size and can't remember what it was called or used for.   Will look for it on my dvr tonight and get back with you. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

hopm

bkaimwood

bk

Bark Beetle

Bark Beetle house?
How about a vase for fake flowers
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

21incher

A outhouse seat for one of those designer outhouses da goat builds.  ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Farmerjw

Okay, it was on the episode about swedish shrink boxes.  He showed a chunk of log near identical to yours that he was making a drum out of.   Check out the swedish shrink boxes, really cool use of green limbs.  Sorry it wasn't as relevant as I thought it was.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 21incher on November 10, 2016, 08:25:16 AM
A outhouse seat for one of those designer outhouses da goat builds.  ;D

:D :D :D Now there's an idea.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

OffGrid973

Bore out the inside a little more, drain plug on side with 1/2 bit, add ice, add beer and start BBQ.  If happy, tear that bark off with 35 grit and grinder, clear coat would look sweet. Soldering iron for some customization if feeling creative.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

AlaskaLes

We get these with the Birch up here.  Large Birch always start to die off at the center of the butt section
typically leaving a nice solid ring of beautiful, solid wood.
One of my ideas...haven't tried this yet...is to take a good solid ring like this (maybe 24" dia.) and cut it in 3 vertical sections. Clean up the faces inside and out.  Then set them back to back to back.
This would look like the radiation symbol and would make a very striking base for a table.
Hoping to finally try this next Summer when we get some more of these hollow rings.
A larger base could be made by taking 3 of these logs and just taking 1/3 out of each piece.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

ray299

Quote from: AlaskaLes on November 20, 2016, 01:47:22 PM
We get these with the Birch up here.  Large Birch always start to die off at the center of the butt section
typically leaving a nice solid ring of beautiful, solid wood.
One of my ideas...haven't tried this yet...is to take a good solid ring like this (maybe 24" dia.) and cut it in 3 vertical sections. Clean up the faces inside and out.  Then set them back to back to back.
This would look like the radiation symbol and would make a very striking base for a table.
Hoping to finally try this next Summer when we get some more of these hollow rings.
A larger base could be made by taking 3 of these logs and just taking 1/3 out of each piece.
24" D birch? Holy moly! I've never seen them that big....

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ray299

Quote from: Brad_bb on December 27, 2016, 12:23:11 AM

I got the same time differential problem! Lol. I think my issue is because when I was younger I worked as a groundsman for a tree service with three other guys and some heavy duty equipment so I look at a big maple and I think a days work to cut it and clean up.... By myself? Lol. Not so much...

ray299

Final product... Father son project.

Darrel

That's a way cool father son project Ray!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Don P

That's cool. I've thought about making shelves inside a cleaned out one, but we usually burn them up.

DeerMeadowFarm

Go to Pintrest. Search "rotted log project" or variations thereof. Plan on spending some time there if you haven't been to the site before; it's a time sponge! You'll probably get 100 cool ideas.

DelawhereJoe

That will make some yellow jackets or some paper wasps a very lovely home, your such a nice guy for doing that.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!