iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Antivirus Programs

Started by Magicman, November 08, 2016, 09:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This new Dell laptop came with a year's subscription of McAfee Antivirus Program.  I also see where it has Microsoft Defender which is turned off as long as the McAfee AV program is being used.  I also have the paid version of Malwarebytes. 

My question is about dumping McAfee especially after the free trial is up.  Is one any better/worse than the other?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ada Shaker

Hard to say really. The thorough antivirus programs are usually resource hungry, they chew away at your computer performance in other words. May not be so bad when the computer is new (high performing), but usually more noticeable as the computer ages, as the software tends to become more updated over time, and the computer remains fairly constant, technology wise, it tends to slow it down. This coupled with additional running processes that get added over time and, degradation of hardware (such as drying out of heat sink pastes and faulty ram etc, etc...) usually makes a computer run slower in a few years time.

Microsoft go to great lengths providing defender free for uses of windoze, why not use it. There is no fail safe anti virus program on the market. All software relies on the program to detect and report the virus back to base where healing software can be created and installed on the next update to all computers. If it doesn't detect it, it cant report it back to base, and it can only heal what it can detect. There are some software that are very intense at detecting viruses, but then again very resource hungry as well, (catch 22).
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Brian_Rhoad

I just setup this new computer tonight. First thing I did was uninstall Mcafee and start the Windows Defender. I've been using the Windows anti virus for years with no problems.

Magicman

Thanks.  Last week I remembered that I had been running Windows Essentials on the old laptop, so I removed the McAfee on this one which activated the Windows Defender.  McAfee was such a CPU hog and this cheap laptop has none to spare.

This one will go to the Cabin when my old one gets back from the shop.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clearcut

The best protection against all types of malware is to have a functional back up system in place.

It should be automatic, redundant, and preferably off site.

Automatic - so you don't forget to, or not get around to, backing up.

Redundant - It should store multiple versions of your important files so that if one get infected, you can rewind to an earlier uninfected version.

Off-site - prevents loss due to physical factors, theft, fire, or flood.

Every hard drive and SSD will eventually fail. Hackers are getting increasingly sophisticated. Have a back up.

Carbon sequestered upon request.