iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess the bark :)

Started by sprucebunny, November 08, 2016, 07:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I know what this is but this specimen is a little unusual.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Clark

Hardwood.

You weren't looking for a species, were you?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

newoodguy78

JBlain

Josh

thecfarm

Unusual for the area or the diffeant way it looks,or don't see many?'
Elm, on the don't see many part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

In my lifetime of looking at trees I've only seen about 5 of this species have bark like this. Two  of them are right near this one.

It might be diseased but the bark makes it hard to tell.

Not elm or poplar.

Weekend_Sawyer

Oh man, I really wanted it to be a poplar.

I got nothing.  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thecfarm

Is it a common tree in your area?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

thecfarm

I've got a few old,struggling maple that kinda look that I have one that have bumps about every 3 feet,on each side of the tree. I think I cut it down.

sprucebunny

Not maple of either flavor but often grows along with red maple here.

Clark

Two serious guesses:

Bur oak with a fungal bark infection that gives it smoother look. Granted, I don't see the little white fruiting bodies so this is, at best, a 1/2 guess.

Black ash that is growing but angry about the situation.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Logger RK

WDH

I thought maybe black oak, but went with cherry instead  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Can't be cherry,too straight.  ;D  Mine even makes crooked smoke when burned.

sprucebunny

I think it's angry about the situation because it's a poor quality tree left by high grading years ago but it's none of those guesses.

Don't think we have bur oak around here and I wouldn't recognise black ash only white.

Here's 2 smaller of the poor things.

Klunker

butternut look to it, with the cankers on it.

newoodguy78

I've got to place a second guess,hope that's okay. Is that alligator looking thing a beech?

sprucebunny

The winner !!!

I don't know what's wrong with them. I'd like to cut one down and see the growth rings but they block my neighbors house from sight so I probably won't.

There is a fourth one there that's really big.

thecfarm

I would of never guessed beech. That is some rough looking bark,for a smooth bark tree. I have alot of beech,with the cankers,but none look like that.

Ox

Those trees don't look like they should.  They look like I feel everyday.  >:(  Thanks for sharing - it's always interesting to see oddball stuff around this great country.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WDH

It is definitely a sunny beech for a beech  :)

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, I never would have guessed.

I think I'd have a forester look at them.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!