iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a good stihl

Started by Leggman, November 07, 2016, 04:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leggman

I have a small husky saw that has served me well for several years but now that I have my sawmill running I am in the market for a bigger better saw. I really don't think I have use for a commercial saw because I will only be dropping trees for myself. I would however like to have something with about a 20 to 24 inch bar that can handle a big tree if the need arises.
As the title says I would prefer a stihl.
Any and all recommendations will be considered, Thanks

HolmenTree

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

gww

Leggman
In my small town, the tractor dealer sells chainsaws, mostly steel.  Lots of times they have used ones.  I would guess they take trade ins for their saws because most of the used have been the smaller saws.  Every once in a while though I see a bigger one.  I look cause I want one but can't seem to let lose of the dough as long as my junk keeps working.  I didn't think they were super out of line on their pricing compared to what they were selling new.  There might be better deals out there but atleast you could hold it and start it and maby even try it before you buy it.
Just another place to look, Maby.
Good luck
gww

Leggman

I wonder if I could talk the wife in a 430 mile roadtrip to pick up a used chainsaw??? Not quite sure she would go for that. :embarassed:

gww

Leggman
Never know till you try.  What you gotta do is just want to take the trip and then if you happen on a chainsaw during it you just got lucky. 
Cheers
gww

Leggman

Well, I went to a local equipment dealer today and they were giving away free chainsaws. The only catch was you had to buy a hat for 400.00  :D
I have been looking at stihl and the one I looked at was a 600 dollar saw.
Today I settled on a echo cs590, Brand new with a five year warranty (stihl is two year)
It has a 20 inch bar and since I was wearing my Trump shirt the dealer threw in a case, bar oil and the hat. 40 dollar value.
I don't know much about echo as a brand but they are made in America and it does have a five year warranty instead of two year and it was 200 dollars less.
Plus it has a compression release. 

gww

Leggman
I don't know about echo either but what you did is what I would have did faced with the same decision except I wouldn't have gotton all the extras cause I wouldn't have had a trump shirt on.
I hope you give a review of the saw after a year or so of use.  My saw might have compleetly fell apart by then and I may need the info.
Good luck
gww

Ps I bet you like the compression release, dads stihl 390 doesn't have one that I know of and it is hard to pull.

Ox

You did the right thing.  A good saw from my readings and a good deal to boot.  Well done.  This is a very popular saw among those in the know, if it's the one I'm thinking of.  Hard to beat a 5 year warranty on a chainsaw.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Deerlope

You might want to consider a Husqvarna 562 XP which can go up to a 28 " bar. I was always a Stihl man  but they seem to breakdown a lot. Maybe the Husky will also but I won't know unless I try one.
MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

DelawhereJoe

The husky 562xp is on par with the ms 362 but both are $$$, even the stihl ms 311 is $520 or there abouts. That Echo 590 timberwolf is what seems like the best bang for your buck $400. You've got the husky 455 & 460 ranchers, but still not stihl. So if your set on stihl the 311, 391 or 362 will be your saw. Also anything over a 20" bar the saws will benefit from a full skip chain.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Gearbox

Leggman you may find that with the compression release it may take more pulls on the rope . try itboth ways . Both my stihl and husky s will start with 3-4 pulls if I use the release it takes 6 to 8 pulls cold .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Leggman

Thanks a bunch. I have been busy with other things but Friday looks like the chainsaw day for me.

mad murdock

You done good on that CS590.  Echo are pretty good saws, and for the money, the best value in a new saw you can find anywhere.  You will be pleased with it, I am certain of that! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HolmenTree

I'll admit Echo saws are about the best value out there for the dollar.

Echo is a sponsor for the CFL football team the Ottawa Redblacks.
For every home field touchdown a log cookie is cut on the sidelines in front of 30,000 screaming football fans.
This Sunday Nov.27 the Redblacks are going into their second year in a row Grey Cup game final under the dome in Toronto.
Grey Cup Championship is now 104 years old.

Video from last year

https://youtu.be/ZowofELyzoU
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!